Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

E85 use

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Routybouty
Don't do it for cost. Do it for performance. /End thread.
dude y even post if you have nothing but that to say my questions are i feel very valid. im not a kids damn near 40 and im asking for real world experiences simple as that. sorry but every damn forum out there people that seem to think they have all the answers always post up BS! sorry guys that have helped me out here just that crap erks the hell out of me.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by walkerkd
well i would have to have my car tuned with 93 and e85 and keep all the maps with me at all time. i travel and drive my cars alot. and there are places i go that i cant get e85 so swapping maps is a must. texas there are several places that have it so im pretty good until i travel out a ways from the major cities. but i think my plans are gonna keep me safe.
I currently have a 93 and E85 map as well, I use the Cobb Accessport for map swaps. The only issue I have found is, the car has to run out of fuel prior to switching maps. My high tech solution, GAS CAN
Old Jan 2, 2011, 03:26 PM

just get methanol injection
Old Jan 2, 2011, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Finest
Might be a good idea to have a switchable fuel map/tune. Run the E-85 as low as you can before filling up with regular gas. Turn down the boost until you can fill up with corn fuel again.
do you have to get an accessport to switch or does the tractrix cable with laptop allow you to do the same thing?...

I guess what my question is, what are your options to switch between tunes?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by cbr1000
do you have to get an accessport to switch or does the tractrix cable with laptop allow you to do the same thing?...

I guess what my question is, what are your options to switch between tunes?
Im sure the cable does the job, as that is what many tuners use. The accessport is a much smaller and easy to use option that does many other things for you. I personally like the troubleshooting section or live data readings.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mwjr2530
Im sure the cable does the job, as that is what many tuners use. The accessport is a much smaller and easy to use option that does many other things for you. I personally like the troubleshooting section or live data readings.
I've read it's a waste of money. From what I understand the ap was the way to go a few years ago, but now the tractrix cable is what you want... I dunno, I need to do more research to understand it better.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 08:50 AM

yea there's benefits to both and theres alot of tuners to chose from! i like the accessport becuase i have no plans today to self tune. i will be using only ots maps or take it somewhere for right now. i have about 18 years with turbo cars, bikes, and trucks and besides switching maps i have not yet self tuned one.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by walkerkd
yea there's benefits to both and theres alot of tuners to chose from! i like the accessport becuase i have no plans today to self tune. i will be using only ots maps or take it somewhere for right now. i have about 18 years with turbo cars, bikes, and trucks and besides switching maps i have not yet self tuned one.
I have two months of experience... not planning on self tuning anything, lol.

I just want to switch between a 91 and e85 map.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

AP allows self tuning as well.. there's lots of benefits for both, just depends on what your tuner uses. IE I use AP b/c cobb is down the street.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
AP allows self tuning as well.. there's lots of benefits for both, just depends on what your tuner uses. IE I use AP b/c cobb is down the street.
yea that's how i feel im south of fort worth and if i need something i will drive my butt to Plano! haa haa... yea i forget to mention you get the tuner software from cobbs for free i believe and yes u can tune yourself my statement was kinda miss leading! also i have the accesport manager on my mac but i do believe the tuner software requires VM if ur are like me Mac user.

http://cobbtuning.com/info/?id=4871
Old Jan 3, 2011, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Cobb should be able to tune without ap as well. There is no way I would spend the money on the accessport as it is not necessary. In fact, you don't even need your own tactrix cable unless you plan on datalogging, etc.

Generally with e85 you will use 30% more fuel. I would not worry about this as it is approximately 30% cheaper than premium in most areas. Plus, who cares about mileage when you're looking to make more power.

In my case, I purchased the following items when converting to e85:
Blaqops single pump kit
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
DW1000cc injectors

In reality, you only need 800/850cc injectors if you will be utilizing the stock turbo. I chose the 1000s because I got a good deal on them.

I am very happy with the results. I picked up 42whp and 68wtq over my 93 octane tune. The boost level, of course, was raised, but other than that nothing really changed. I would definitely recommend making the switch to anyone that is on the fence deciding whether or not to switch.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mwjr2530
I currently have a 93 and E85 map as well, I use the Cobb Accessport for map swaps. The only issue I have found is, the car has to run out of fuel prior to switching maps. My high tech solution, GAS CAN
The car does not necessarily have to run out of gas before switching. If you were running e85 and can't find any, you can switch to the 93 tune and fill with 93. Your car will just run pretty rich until you run the e85 out. However, I would not suggest doing it the other way around. I would try and get all 93 out when running the e85 map.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
Cobb should be able to tune without ap as well. There is no way I would spend the money on the accessport as it is not necessary. In fact, you don't even need your own tactrix cable unless you plan on datalogging, etc.

Generally with e85 you will use 30% more fuel. I would not worry about this as it is approximately 30% cheaper than premium in most areas. Plus, who cares about mileage when you're looking to make more power.

In my case, I purchased the following items when converting to e85:
Blaqops single pump kit
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
DW1000cc injectors

In reality, you only need 800/850cc injectors if you will be utilizing the stock turbo. I chose the 1000s because I got a good deal on them.

I am very happy with the results. I picked up 42whp and 68wtq over my 93 octane tune. The boost level, of course, was raised, but other than that nothing really changed. I would definitely recommend making the switch to anyone that is on the fence deciding whether or not to switch.
cobb will not tune a car using opensource, that would be supporting their competition. they will do a tune on your car without you owning an ap, but then you cannot do map switching, which was the point of this thread
Old Jan 3, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
cobb will not tune a car using opensource, that would be supporting their competition. they will do a tune on your car without you owning an ap, but then you cannot do map switching, which was the point of this thread
That's ridiculous to have to buy an AP for that.

You can use tephra map switching for FREE.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
That's ridiculous to have to buy an AP for that.

You can use tephra map switching for FREE.
yep, and you can use opensource tuning for free. hell, a $25 cable and you're all set. Cobb has a different solution, that some people prefer. I don't need a laptop with me to switch maps or log. The AP is a simple solution, esp for those who might want an OTS map before they get a pro-tune. Either way, there's tradeoffs.
In my case, there's not a shop I trust anywhere around here other than Cobb, so I use AP. As for map switching, unless you're just trying to limp home, its just not a good idea to switch b/w e85 and 93 anyway, as you can never totally empty your tank before you fill up w/ the other fuel.

Quick Reply: E85 use