Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

E85 use

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
yep, and you can use opensource tuning for free. hell, a $25 cable and you're all set. Cobb has a different solution, that some people prefer. I don't need a laptop with me to switch maps or log. The AP is a simple solution, esp for those who might want an OTS map before they get a pro-tune. Either way, there's tradeoffs.
In my case, there's not a shop I trust anywhere around here other than Cobb, so I use AP. As for map switching, unless you're just trying to limp home, its just not a good idea to switch b/w e85 and 93 anyway, as you can never totally empty your tank before you fill up w/ the other fuel.
I understand that it is a simple solution, but IMO it is still a waste of money. I would much rather spend that money towards an actual tune.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't need a laptop to log or switch MAPs with ECUflash either....and you don't have to buy a $600 pager
Old Jan 3, 2011, 03:25 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by walkerkd
dude y even post if you have nothing but that to say my questions are i feel very valid. im not a kids damn near 40 and im asking for real world experiences simple as that. sorry but every damn forum out there people that seem to think they have all the answers always post up BS! sorry guys that have helped me out here just that crap erks the hell out of me.

OK, I' feel like you're a little defensive, but you are missing some key points here. People are saying things, because some what you are saying does not make sense. Please listen to the technical side of what we have to say, becasue it will make understanding easier for you.

1) Injector size does not matter for fuel consumption assuming you have enough injector for your needs. You will not get worse fuel economy on 1300cc than on 800cc, so don't be afraid to run bigger injectors. I understand that big injectors cost more, but even with a tune and exhaust, the stock injectors are really running out of fuel up top. That said, for a perfect bolt on car on 93 with the stock turbo, you'd be best optimized with 700-750cc injectors. Nobody does this, of course, but it would ensure you would have ample fuel at high rpm. For E85, you need 30-35% more fuel, so 1000cc is darned near perfect. It is a tiny bit of overkill, but you can upgrade your turbocharger down the road and not have to change injectors again. Plus, with the aftermarket turbo, you can still make a lot more power and stay within 350tq to keep your SST happy. Your Mustang might have the equivalent of 900cc, but it's 2.5x the displacement, and I would wager running nowhere near 27psi of boost or so that your Evo will be able to run on E85.

2) You keep talking about 350 torque, and saying torque is your only concern. We get that, you don't want to exceed that Tq amount to protect your SST, so your tuner will be gentle in the midrange area. But a full bolt on car with E85 will make more power than torque if you limit the Tq to 350 anyway. Remember horsepower is a function of torque and RPM, and these cars like to rev (unlike most Mustangs), so you can make more power with less torque.

3) You fully admit you don't know about self-tuning. We do. You will have slightly higher fuel costs on E85 than 93 due to ~35% more consumption at all times. It doesn't matter how soft you drive, even in cruising, you consume that much more, because stoich of E85 is much richer than gasoline. It is a consumption tradeoff for performance. If extra refills don't bother you, then it you can figure the cost savings based off how much less E85 costs than 93. If it is more than 35% less, than it should be a worthwhile investment on all fronts.

Make sense?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Noize
OK, I' feel like you're a little defensive, but you are missing some key points here. People are saying things, because some what you are saying does not make sense. Please listen to the technical side of what we have to say, becasue it will make understanding easier for you.

1) Injector size does not matter for fuel consumption assuming you have enough injector for your needs. You will not get worse fuel economy on 1300cc than on 800cc, so don't be afraid to run bigger injectors. I understand that big injectors cost more, but even with a tune and exhaust, the stock injectors are really running out of fuel up top. That said, for a perfect bolt on car on 93 with the stock turbo, you'd be best optimized with 700-750cc injectors. Nobody does this, of course, but it would ensure you would have ample fuel at high rpm. For E85, you need 30-35% more fuel, so 1000cc is darned near perfect. It is a tiny bit of overkill, but you can upgrade your turbocharger down the road and not have to change injectors again. Plus, with the aftermarket turbo, you can still make a lot more power and stay within 350tq to keep your SST happy. Your Mustang might have the equivalent of 900cc, but it's 2.5x the displacement, and I would wager running nowhere near 27psi of boost or so that your Evo will be able to run on E85.

2) You keep talking about 350 torque, and saying torque is your only concern. We get that, you don't want to exceed that Tq amount to protect your SST, so your tuner will be gentle in the midrange area. But a full bolt on car with E85 will make more power than torque if you limit the Tq to 350 anyway. Remember horsepower is a function of torque and RPM, and these cars like to rev (unlike most Mustangs), so you can make more power with less torque.

3) You fully admit you don't know about self-tuning. We do. You will have slightly higher fuel costs on E85 than 93 due to ~35% more consumption at all times. It doesn't matter how soft you drive, even in cruising, you consume that much more, because stoich of E85 is much richer than gasoline. It is a consumption tradeoff for performance. If extra refills don't bother you, then it you can figure the cost savings based off how much less E85 costs than 93. If it is more than 35% less, than it should be a worthwhile investment on all fronts.

Make sense?
make perfect since i was not defensive to anyone but that one comment did erk me i appreciate everyone that gives me good information and i have said that in my post many times. your information is what im looking for not blanket comments. i dont wanna make mistakes i did with the 3 engines i put in my grand national because i tried to tune it like my awd syclone. i wanna use people here to gather every bit of information i can get to mod my car once and right. Thanks Noize

Last edited by walkerkd; Jan 3, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 05:30 PM

FIC 1100 cc injectors
BLAQOPS Single Pump Kit with Walbro
grimspeed 3-port or ams boost pill (SST perferd) - NOT SURE HERE YET.
E85 tune with accessport
93 e-tune with accesport
91 e-tune with accessport
atp UICP