Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

HP Mods for road warriors

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2003 | 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

HP Mods for road warriors

I'm a newbie who's searched for this subject but was unable to find it on this board. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have 10K on my stock 03 Evo and want to do some HP mods that won't drastically effect my highway mileage (about 35K/yr) but still give me some nice HP gains. Money's not a huge issue for me so if it costs a little more I'm up for it. I'm assuming starting with the intake and exhaust is the first step, but again I'm on this. Also, anyone in MN know of a decent shop for help on complex installs?
Old Dec 7, 2003 | 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Get some sort of a fuel controller to lean out the rich map on the car, will save you gas mileage. A catback is also a nice addition , I rely wouldnt worry about intake till you did the exhaust.
Old Dec 7, 2003 | 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Quickshift. Any suggestions on brands/types? I see you have the Buschar Cat, you likes?
Old Dec 7, 2003 | 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Quickshift
Get some sort of a fuel controller to lean out the rich map on the car, will save you gas mileage. A catback is also a nice addition , I rely wouldnt worry about intake till you did the exhaust.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=closed+loop

No no no no. Read ShapeGSX's post.
Old Dec 7, 2003 | 02:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

That's right... only a reflash/standalone that addresses closed loop maps, will effect over all efficiency... Not plugging them at all (I just have personal experience), but the Works reflashes (P1 & P2) have shown time and time again to add power and reduce over all fuel consumption...

Of course your foot will be the final determining factor...
Old Dec 7, 2003 | 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

well if thats the case get a dynoflash , ive noticed better fuel economy with my s-afc settings. I will be getting flashed as soon as i get the rest of my mods in.
Old Dec 7, 2003 | 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Also if you guys would have read his post you would see he is asking for power over fuel econ. Those two simple and cheap mods can free up an easy 30-50 hp at the flywheel. And those mods will not hurt your fuel economy on the highway much at all.
Old Dec 7, 2003 | 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Good info boys. Quickshift, you are CORRECT! I don't care about increasing the mileage as much as maintaining what I have. Making some extra Horses is the goal for not just beating, but Smokin every **** with a so-called sportscar (BMWs, Audis, non-turbo Porsches). I already feel sorry for the US V8 boys, the Evo has shriveled up a few already. Anyone install the stage II Buschur system or similar? I'm interested in the HW mileage they would get (assuming it's not at 100mph+).
Old Dec 7, 2003 | 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

I have the stage 1 setup (buschar s-afc with there tuning map/3in turboback with high flow cat/ Greddy Boost contr/HKS RS intake) It is the same setup they got with different part. I love the way she pulls now it is sweet. I will be be upgrading the intercooler and pipping next along with a upgraded fuel pump if needed. And yes ive spanked a few cars on the HW
Old Dec 7, 2003 | 04:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by mndeerslayer
Good info boys. Quickshift, you are CORRECT! I don't care about increasing the mileage as much as maintaining what I have. Making some extra Horses is the goal for not just beating, but Smokin every **** with a so-called sportscar (BMWs, Audis, non-turbo Porsches). I already feel sorry for the US V8 boys, the Evo has shriveled up a few already. Anyone install the stage II Buschur system or similar? I'm interested in the HW mileage they would get (assuming it's not at 100mph+).
Sorry, missed that... go Buschur staged set ups then... from the Econo to the stage IV you can't lose.