Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Type R owner looking to Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type R owner looking to Evo?

I've been a member roaming around on here for some time. I've wanted to buy one for some time and am Im a financial position to do so.

From reading up on lots of threads I keep seeing build threads due to spun bears, blown pistons, dropped valves, burning oil, tranny's breaking etc...

These are only the people who are making threads because they broke something, and people who aren't breaking things won't post about that, I understand.

Just questioning reliabilty of the evo drivetrain...

Yes, it comes down to maintenance, how its driven, age etc...
Im just talking about a well maintained, non-abused Evo (does that exist?). Are there issues with these types of cars spitting up pistons, or having unforseen issues?

I have an integra type r, and its been incredibly reliable from day 1. It rev's to 8.5k daily and it barely burns any oil...

I enjoy working on cars and fixing them, so little things that come up are no problem, but engine re-builds, diffs, tranny's, t-cases etc are something that shouldn't just blow up from daily use and some spirited driving IMO.

Is an Evo for me?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:11 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by firebad
Im just talking about a well maintained, non-abused Evo (does that exist?).
Yes.

Are there issues with these types of cars spitting up pistons, or having unforseen issues?
No, the cars are very reliable.

Is an Evo for me?
Just make sure to buy a good car, one that hasn't been frucked-up. It won't necessarily be inexpensive.

Last edited by FJF; Jan 5, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:14 PM

Well, if you keep it within reason, the motors seem to be very reliable. And the trannies are bulletproof if you aren't side-stepping the clutch on a regular basis. People get into trouble when they run aftermarket turbos at 360+wtq on a stock motor (in the X's case anyway). It shouldn't be a mystery that the motor become less reliable over time when you run 150 whp over stock. That said, I've been running 330+ whp for nearly 3 years with no issues. A used Evo is definitely a gamble though, considering the amount of people that track and mod them.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by firebad
I've been a member roaming around on here for some time. I've wanted to buy one for some time and am Im a financial position to do so.

From reading up on lots of threads I keep seeing build threads due to spun bears, blown pistons, dropped valves, burning oil, tranny's breaking etc...

These are only the people who are making threads because they broke something, and people who aren't breaking things won't post about that, I understand.

Just questioning reliabilty of the evo drivetrain...

Yes, it comes down to maintenance, how its driven, age etc...
Im just talking about a well maintained, non-abused Evo (does that exist?). Are there issues with these types of cars spitting up pistons, or having unforseen issues?

I have an integra type r, and its been incredibly reliable from day 1. It rev's to 8.5k daily and it barely burns any oil...

I enjoy working on cars and fixing them, so little things that come up are no problem, but engine re-builds, diffs, tranny's, t-cases etc are something that shouldn't just blow up from daily use and some spirited driving IMO.

Is an Evo for me?
Well first off, can you afford to insure it, i was caught blindside when i baught my evo then realized i would be paying more a month for car insurance than for the car payment itself.

Ok now lets say insurance money is no problem for ya. yes its hard 2 find a evo 8 and 9 that hasnt been beat 2 ****, but not impossible. Not sure if you want a 8,9 or a 10. Wouldnt be hard 2 find a X thats been taken car of.

Probly the biggest problem with 8 and 9 is t-case and trans. People who own them often launch and race them.

the 4g63 is very reliable, but many people will have 500whp evo's then sell all the parts and return to stock specs and say its always been stock.

Last edited by SubieEvoGuy; Jan 5, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:21 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SubieEvoGuy
Probly the biggest problem with 8 and 9 is t-case and trans. People who own them often launch and race them.
If I may, the biggest problem are the owners who install unforgiving clutches then sidestep the suckers (in an AWD car) at 600whp crushing their drivetrains. It seems like the OP is looking for some real information. Let's put it in its proper context.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
If I may, the biggest problem are the owners who install unforgiving clutches then sidestep the suckers (in an AWD car) at 600whp crushing their drivetrains. It seems like the OP is looking for some real information. Let's put it in its proper context.

ok fine, the drivers of evo's fk there t-case and trans up. In the end of the day there are lots of evo 8's and 9's with fked up t-cases and trans, and this man needs 2 be carefull of it.