Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Tcase/Tranny/diff fluid change

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tcase/Tranny/diff fluid change

hey Guys.

I am swapping out my tcase since it began whining. I read up that the fluid to use in the tcase is the Diaqueen GL5 LSD Gear Oil. I also read up that first change should be done at 5000 miles then next one should be done at 5k-7k miles. I dont understand why would you have to change your tcase fluid almost as much as your engine oil...?

Anyway i figure while the shop is swaping my tcase out why not change all the fluids. So I research it a little and im leening on the BG Synchro Shift II oil in the trannsmission. Its synthetic so i figure its better. And now im left with the rear diff. Not sure what to put in there.

Just wondering what you guys that done the maintainance on the evo would recommend as what fulids to put into the tcase, the trany, and the rear diff.

Also Ive been told that there is a certain way to bleed all the bubbles out of your tcase once installed. Something about turning the car onto the ON position and pressing down the accelerator... that turns on the ACD pump causing all the bubbles to move out of the tcase.

Help me out guys. If you can PM me or just reply to the thread would be much appriciated.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:26 PM

Hey im not sure how other did theres but i changed my fluids right after 1000miles after break in when i installed my TRE tc and of course new tranny fluids since the axles had to be pop out.

Hard driving is usually around 10-15xxx miles, normal is around 30xxx. The more you change your fluids, the better it is. You rather be safe than sorry that is.

Also when 10-15xxx miles comes around, i would just go ahead and change the tc, tranny, and the rear end all at the same time.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah there is supposedly a few trick ways to bleed the acd pump. Also make sure to reckeck and refill the tcase a few times as there is a sump in it that needs to fill up. Fill it up drive a little ways and recheck it, it will probably take doing this 3-4 times.

Found this:
1. remove fill cap from reservoir. have extra fluid ready. use new. don't use old, as it collects moisture.
2. turn key to "on" position
3. put something on gas pedal to hold it at 100% throttle.
4. every ??? seconds you will hear the ACD pump activate
5. get under the car and loosen the bleeder for the ACD unit on the transfer case. leave it open with a catch container underneath.
6. continue to add fluid, but keep it under the "max" line
7. once no more air is coming out, close bleeder valve
8. where i messed up: WAIT FOR THE PUMP TO ACTIVATE AGAIN. maybe twice. i don't think it matters how many times.. but you want to be sure the transfer case is FULL of fluid.
9. once the level in the reservoir stops going down (signaling transfer case is full)
10. take brick/stick/etc off the gas pedal.
11. top off fluid in reservoir.
12. done.

Last edited by PDCC_EVO; Jan 13, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PDCC_EVO
Yeah there is supposedly a few trick ways to bleed the acd pump. Also make sure to reckeck and refill the tcase a few times as there is a sump in it that needs to fill up. Fill it up drive a little ways and recheck it, it will probably take doing this 3-4 times.

Found this:
1. remove fill cap from reservoir. have extra fluid ready. use new. don't use old, as it collects moisture.
2. turn key to "on" position
3. put something on gas pedal to hold it at 100% throttle.
4. every ??? seconds you will hear the ACD pump activate
5. get under the car and loosen the bleeder for the ACD unit on the transfer case. leave it open with a catch container underneath.
6. continue to add fluid, but keep it under the "max" line
7. once no more air is coming out, close bleeder valve
8. where i messed up: WAIT FOR THE PUMP TO ACTIVATE AGAIN. maybe twice. i don't think it matters how many times.. but you want to be sure the transfer case is FULL of fluid.
9. once the level in the reservoir stops going down (signaling transfer case is full)
10. take brick/stick/etc off the gas pedal.
11. top off fluid in reservoir.
12. done.

Transfer case fluid and ACD fluid are different systems. One uses ATF SP III fluid (ACD) held in the reservoir and the transfercase uses a different gear oil. THe acd is the bleeding procedure you are talking about but the transfer case has a drain and fill plug on the case itself. You fill using a plastic hose just like the tranny.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ Yea man when i swapped out my tcase I could not find what he was talking about. And when i checked into it the ACD used different fliuds completly.

Never changed my ACD fliuds tho... How often should it be done?