Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is my evo worth trading for this supra???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my evo worth trading for this supra???

Okay guys. I have a serious question!! and i really need ppl's opinion here. I have an 2005 evo 8 with the ssl package. my car is in very good condition and has no problems!! I have 63,xxx on dash and have a clean and accident free title. My only mods are.. intake, exhaust mbc 255walbro with brand new tires. I met this guy that is willing to trade me his 1995 red n/a 5 speed 2jz swap supra. The supra has a brand new gt45 turbo and front mount intercooler. It is a n/a supra with the 2jz swap. the car has 137,xxx on body, and is clean inside and out. My evo has No problems, but his supra needs an 2jz ecu and a good tune. The car does run, but dont boost!! the supra also has one small accident on the carfax report.

If i decide to trade it will be a even trade. do you think its worth me trading my 2005 evo ssl 63,xxx for the supra???

evo1984
Attached Thumbnails Is my evo worth trading for this supra???-53_g.sized-1-.jpg   Is my evo worth trading for this supra???-img_20101114_150428-1-.jpg  
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Trade for something 10 years old with over double the miles? No thanks; especially if it doesn't run right and needs work when yours is perfect as-is.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell him to get the ECU and the tune then you will talk, otherwise no deal.

If he is willing to let go of that much work so easily it throws a red flag for me since it seems like he may be trying to dump his problems on somebody else.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

in my opinion, absolutely not. You will be trading a car with relatively low miles that you have personal ensured maintenance was done on (assuming you did the 60k timing belt) with a clean history for a 14 year old car, that has been in an accident, with twice the mileage, needs an ECU and a tune.

Yes, its a supra. but its a N/A supra and that is what it says on the title and that is what will matter if you decide to ever sell it. Swapped motors can cause or sorts of problems if not done right, and it seems as if this was a project just never finished.

not to mention the 5 speed tranny is going to take a BEATING with that much power. depends on how bad you want a supra and how much money you are willing to sink into it to get it running right.

if your even considering it, take it to a reputable shop knowledgeable in supras and do a full inspection boost leak compression test etc before you consider the trade. but again, for me, NO
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:45 AM

I think your best place to start is the blue book values for each of the cars. Then you have to decide what YOU think the mods are worth. Banks don't value mods and swaps. I know supras are desired by tuners everywhere, but in the end you're left with what the bank or some other enthusiast values the car at.

IMHO it would not be a straight trade. You're going from a 69k mile car with no problems, to a 139k mile car, not the most popular model, with major work done on it and needing more work. In the end, it's up to you. But, do your homework first.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Decide for yourself. I personally wouldn't do it.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

IMO if he spent the time to swap his engine but he did not have it tuned it says something about how complete the car is/isn't. I think you are better off keeping your car since you know it runs and it works, besides you already have some mods just keep on adding to it. I think you wont be dissappointed.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO!!!! That coming from a Evo/Supra guy. If you are going to trade for a supra 1) get one with less mileage and 2) get an original TT.

FYI NA Supra's came with a 2JZ engine as well. The W56 tranny is ok but a GT45 is really pushing it. You can run a good 500WHP on them but would you want to? Also just because the motor was swapped doesn't mean the rest of the drive train parts are good. The NA's had different rear diffs and Drive shafts as well. The TT stock drive shaft twist pretty easy with a lot of power and decent tires, hell i've seen them twist in half on a Stock turbo car with BFG DRs. No 2JZ ECU what the **** does that even mean? again the stock NA motor is a 2JZ, and with a gt45 you need alot more than a stock TT Ecu. You need either an AEM, Mapecu, or VPC GCC combo ect ect. This car to me would be a nightmare unless you have a lot of extra $$$$ laying around to through at the car and get it up to par. The Supra ECUs car not like the Evo's you cant logg and tune off of the stock unit most of them are OBDi and even the OBDII cars they don't have much out for them unless you go piggy back, that is assuming you don't do standalone.

They are great cars but IMO your car is worth more than that supra. Food for thought I sold my Original TT 6 speed car that only had $93k miles on it for $19k a couple months ago. My car was BPU and ran great. So you can for sure find MUCH better deals than that car.

Last edited by EMonz57; Jan 14, 2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:38 AM

Okay... Enough said!! I think, i just want a supra to bad... He can keep has supra!! I was thinking the same thing. He just did the swap, and he told me he just purchased the gt45 turbo kit and 3 row intercooler. I think he's just trying to dump a serious problem on someone else!!! I believe there's something serioully wrong with that car!!

If anyone wants or wanna trade for this guy's supra pm me and ill give you this guy's number. He's in Orlando fl.

ME!!! Im gonna run like hell!! i feel something isnt right!

Evo1984
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

good choice
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Trade for something 10 years old with over double the miles? No thanks; especially if it doesn't run right and needs work when yours is perfect as-is.

nuff said
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:43 AM

how much is he trying to sell it for?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Worst deal ever.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:53 AM

I dont think he wanna sell it str8 out. I think he really just wanna trade it, but if your interested ill give you his contact information. just pm me.

Evo1984
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Please no!!!

Quick Reply: Is my evo worth trading for this supra???