Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

best turbo for my mods to make 400 HP??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best turbo for my mods to make 400 HP??

all my mods are listed below on my tag... I wanted a fp green hta but i see FP turbos on here for sale all the time with shaft play..I know they were probably pushed hard but still, i mostly see them...im going to get 272 cams and 720cc injectors,possibly another throttle body...i run 12.46 constantly but realy want to be at about 11.6-11.8...i want to have a safe DD that i wont need to put rods and pistons in... figured around low 400 hp maybe even high 300s is what i need..what turbo would be the one i need thats safe and tough and not massive but not little and being pushed hard...all answers will be greatly apreciated...

oh i also have put a new act hddss clutch and fidanza flywheel in but havent got 1/4 mile times...car weighs 2993 with me in it as well

im also at rite under 24 for boost tapering to 21 ish on my stock 8 turbo with 10.5 hotside

Last edited by malonejr2000; Jan 20, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:06 PM

Pump or E85?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brainiac
Pump or E85?
damn pump 93...no e85 anywhere in sight...ironicly i live next to a refinery here in corpus on corn products rd....WTF
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

also im running my tiny stock 8 turbo with the 10.5 hotside that came stock on it
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:34 PM

Are you more concerned with whp numbers or running 11.6-11.8?

Reason I ask is because if it's 1/4 mile there are several cases on this board where people have run that on the 9 turbo and at least one case (Khary from STM) where it was done on the 8 turbo with 10.5 hotside.

If it's the whp you want then the green hta, bbk full or hks 7460 will get you there,,,
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brainiac
Are you more concerned with whp numbers or running 11.6-11.8?

Reason I ask is because if it's 1/4 mile there are several cases on this board where people have run that on the 9 turbo and at least one case (Khary from STM) where it was done on the 8 turbo with 10.5 hotside.

If it's the whp you want then the green hta, bbk full or hks 7460 will get you there,,,
hp #s dont really mean anything to me to be honest... i want to hit those mid to mid/high 11s...dynos are all different when it comes to hp so i dont ever judge a cars quickness by that...

also i dont want to have to change the boost or push a 9 turbo that hard everywhere my car goes and risk hurting my engine...

Last edited by malonejr2000; Jan 20, 2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:57 PM
Account Disabled

any FP product well meet and exceed your goals. Ive had a htagreen, older red and now on the black and ive never had a problem with shaft play. With your goals i think the FPred well be good for you, awsome power and great for a DD.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

The BBK full will fit your needs perfectly. Check out my 2 dyno result threads, I also posted my 1/4mile times.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jaemillz
any FP product well meet and exceed your goals. Ive had a htagreen, older red and now on the black and ive never had a problem with shaft play. With your goals i think the FPred well be good for you, awsome power and great for a DD.
i fear a red is a little to much for my stock block...i drive my car to and from work and have been known to down shift to 3rd at 65 and pin it...when i talked to david buschur he said get 280 cams and a red with some 720cc injectors but thats before i got on the dyno at his shop..i would think a green would be enough and wouldnt have to be pushed hard...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boosted91t
The BBK full will fit your needs perfectly. Check out my 2 dyno result threads, I also posted my 1/4mile times.
ive been wondering about a bbk turbo..i never hear anything bad about them and dont ever see a blown one or one with shaft play..
Old Jan 20, 2011, 06:12 PM

Im planing to buy a FP Green 73HTA, i was thinking around how many whp will it give with stock motor. another turbo i was thinking which is tomei 7460. which one is better? any suggestions on which to get? thx
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

hta green.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

I would say a FP Red with the 84mm as I am running it on a Stock motor head and block only have Arp Headstuds and Comp 272s as motor work goes but my sig list 98% of my mods. If you are letting Bushuar tune it you will be fine if you want to auto cross then the BBK will be for you. I made 402whp at 26psi on a low reading dyno "wont get into a battle" on dynos but the car feels mean. I won't lie had creeping issues with the FP Red but my setup was allowing the turbo to do what it likes and thats breath and it was not wanting to hit the wastegate lol. I fixed it I think so far in a few days I will know for sure. If you want any info on my setup pm me.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
hta green or bbk full. both have proven to be safe on the stock motor (obviously dependent on many variables), by being tuned to keep stock turbo-like peak tq with better holding past 5k. Both are intended to be used with pump gas, but are also capable in high boost applications. The tomei turbo is largely considered a misfire lol. Similar design to the green and bbk, but never really impressed anyone...made power over IX turbos but not enough to justify an upgrade...kinda like those old *** 20g-IX turbos lol. Anyway, one of those 2 will get u into high 11s at least...if u can go 12.4 on an 8 turbo u can drive that thing into the 11s with the extra 50-70hp the green or bbk will give u on pump. These 2 CONSISTENTLY make 400whp on pump gas, even on cars with stock cams. good luck with ur choice...I've decided on the green, ordering it tomorrow!!!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
hta green or bbk full. both have proven to be safe on the stock motor (obviously dependent on many variables), by being tuned to keep stock turbo-like peak tq with better holding past 5k. Both are intended to be used with pump gas, but are also capable in high boost applications. The tomei turbo is largely considered a misfire lol. Similar design to the green and bbk, but never really impressed anyone...made power over IX turbos but not enough to justify an upgrade...kinda like those old *** 20g-IX turbos lol. Anyway, one of those 2 will get u into high 11s at least...if u can go 12.4 on an 8 turbo u can drive that thing into the 11s with the extra 50-70hp the green or bbk will give u on pump. These 2 CONSISTENTLY make 400whp on pump gas, even on cars with stock cams. good luck with ur choice...I've decided on the green, ordering it tomorrow!!!
No green has broke 400whp on a dyno with stright Pump,now Pump+Meth yes or E85 yes unless you are on a high CF Dyno Jet which then taking out the CF your well under 400. I barely broke 400 on a Full bolt on Evo with cams and a Ported Red now the dyno I did this on is a low reading dyno but still. The new HTA 73mm Greens are nice for high tq as they spool real fast.

To the OP either way you go FP or BBK Turbo their both are real good. I personaly only have seen 3 Fp turbos foresale with shaft play some play is normal with any turbo and a few with play were the old school originals so they had like 20-30k plus miles I think on them.

Quick Reply: best turbo for my mods to make 400 HP??