Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

bov a must??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011 | 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bov a must??

Okay so ive been doing some reading and alot of people aren't too fond of the stock evo 8 bov holding more than stock boost or simply stock boost for that matter. Is changing the unit a must? and if so what kind is recommended?? The car was tuned so im assuming tuned for more than stock boost. I currently do not have a boost controller on it like it did at the time of the tune but i will have one on it with the boost tha the car was tuned for. By going over stock boost will i need a different bov? thanks guys.
Old Feb 8, 2011 | 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

From: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
stock evo 8 dv leaks (identified by being made of plastic)
stock evo 9 or the jdm dv is made of metal and doesn't leak until usually around 26psi (i think that was the psi)

as far as having to change it, i really don't know how bad the evo 8 dv is since i have an evo 9, but i do recall most people changing it out just for precaution even at stock psi.
Old Feb 8, 2011 | 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you should use the evo IX bov, it will hold boost a lot better specially if you crush it.
Old Feb 8, 2011 | 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would say at least get a 9 BOV and even a crushed one. It will hold better than the plastic 8 will.
Old Feb 8, 2011 | 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

JDM MR DV, for the above reason stated by Skylineracer. I swapped mine out right after I bought my 05 brand new and never had a problem with it since. Great investment for the $$$. Pick one up, you will be satisfied.
Old Feb 8, 2011 | 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

From: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
doesn't crushing it give partial throttle drivability issues?
Old Feb 8, 2011 | 08:28 PM

got a IX on my 8, no issues. Worth the money
Old Feb 9, 2011 | 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there is no mbc or a 3port boost solenoid, then you should still be hitting the same (and tuned for) stock boost levels. Just about any tuner will tell you to get rid of the plastic Evo8 dv. You can find used ones cheap in the FS section.
Old Feb 9, 2011 | 03:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The OE diverter valve on my VIII leaked at anything over 17psi. I switched to IX and things have been good since. Just throw that plastic piece of junk in the trash when you get a metal one, they're aren't worth keeping.
Old Feb 9, 2011 | 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Evo 9 bov or an APS. Both of them work flawlessly.
Old Feb 9, 2011 | 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

wow guys thanks for the quick and numerous responses. I figured most people changed the bov out. I will have to check mine though to be honest i think the one on my car is metel canister but looks stock. it could be the ix bov because i am almost sure thats its metal. i will check this weekend when i work on the car. i just dont recall it being plastic.
Old Feb 9, 2011 | 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

well the car was tuned by ttp awhile back but when i bought it someone had took the mbc off the car and just had the wastegate/turbo inlet connection open so i ran a hose just to get it back to stock boost pressure until i can get a controller. At that point i will call ttp and ask them what boost the car was tuned for and i will run it at that with the controller
Old Feb 9, 2011 | 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by svt_lightning01
well the car was tuned by ttp awhile back but when i bought it someone had took the mbc off the car and just had the wastegate/turbo inlet connection open so i ran a hose just to get it back to stock boost pressure until i can get a controller. At that point i will call ttp and ask them what boost the car was tuned for and i will run it at that with the controller
Hooking a line from turbo to WGA is not stock boost pressure. Its wastegate pressure which is 11-13psi. Stock boost pressure is 19.8psi tapering down newar redline. That car should have had a GReddy BOV from when the last owner had it but if the seller took it before you bought it then I would buy a stock IX valve.
Old Feb 9, 2011 | 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

how do i run vacuum lines for stock boost?
Old Feb 10, 2011 | 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

like where should they go other than to the wastegate for wastegate pressure? how can i run it and make it stock boost?

Quick Reply: bov a must??