Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

350Z or EVO X GSR? Anyone from Louisiana?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350Z or EVO X GSR? Anyone from Louisiana?

What's up guys?

Was having a conversation with a friend the other day about this and I feel I need more honest, unbiased opinions. This is a hard decision that I do not want to end up regretting later on down the line.

I'm sure we all are aware of the 350Z's weaknesses and downsides, as well as all of it's strong suits. But here is a comparison between the two off the top of my head. It goes as follows:

EVO:

Backseat
4-door
Turbo
AWD

The 4B11T is making quite a name for itself. After a few bolt-ons, at 300 AWHP, it'll go 12.2 in the 1/4 mile. It also would make a formidable opponent on the road course. It is very responsive to mods, and it is reasonably inexpensive to build in comparison to the Z.

350Z:

Big displacement
Torque
RWD
Top end
Gearing
The stoutness of the tranny and rearend.
The lineage and history of the Z car.
Built motor and boost makes for a monster.
Sleekness of the sports coupe.
One of the last true Japanese sports cars left.
And last but not least, it's a 'driver's car' and doesn't have techno wizardry/gadgetry.

The bad:

I dislike how expensive everything is for it, how hard it is to get power out of it, as well as how hard it is to work on. Then, not to mention how impractical and small it is.

The cheap paint and interior, and the overall quality of Nissan...or lack thereof...

The dwindling book value!!!

Also, if there is anyone from Louisiana on here that owns an EVO that care to let me check it out? This would help tremendously.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:53 PM

Good point with the book value. Most people dont think about that when comparing cars. Evos dont depreciate much at all.
But of course when someone buys a car like this they are in no rush to sell it...
Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

My last car was a Z... loved everything except the interior, rough ride, and the lack of power. Best looking car in the price range, IMO.

You can make them decently quick with nitrous, however. Mid/low 12's or so.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:26 PM

The four doors and the trunk are the two main reasons I'm planning on getting the Evo. Besides the fact that it's an Evo of course. It fits more people which means I'll get to show it off to more then one person at a time
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

My 350, as is it sits now, is extremely comfortable to ride in and lots of fun to drive, however like it's been stated dramatically lacks power. if i were to drop 10k in just engine and FI work, it would be a monster.

But the thing i hate most now, is the lack of seating and how expensive it is to mod it. just because i have the HR motor, that pretty just automatically adds on more $$ to the price tag of any mod im looking at. i bought it new in 07'

I'm without a doubt switching over to the Evo side in about 5 months, and i know i wont look back.

and yes the depreciating value is f-ing rediculous...

My Z:

Last edited by dyss.; Feb 8, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dyss.
My 350, as is it sits now, is extremely comfortable to ride in and lots of fun to drive, however like it's been stated dramatically lacks power. if i were to drop 10k in just engine and FI work, it would be a monster.

But the thing i hate most now, is the lack of seating and how expensive it is to mod it. just because i have the HR motor, that pretty just automatically adds on more $$ to the price tag of any mod im looking at. i bought it new in 07'

I'm without a doubt switching over to the Evo side in about 5 months, and i know i wont look back.

My Z:

AHHHHHHHHH!!!! no brembo package on the Z!!!!!!!!! i cried.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

This one was a no brainer for me after test driving both. I simply wanted an all wheel drive car and the STi didn't do it for me at the time. The Z compared to the X in the fealt extremely underpowered....granted that was nothing other than a butt dyno. The road to power for these vehciles can be radicly different however. With the Z there are a plethara of supercharger kits available in the 5.5-6k range than will lay down 350-400whp without ever having a need to upgrade or replace any supporting mods under the hood, and due to the belt driven nature of a supercharger you will never have the worries that many in the X community have regarding a bad tune, overboosting etc.... The X on the other hand can get stupid with options for power upgrades running setups from 312whp on the stock turbo with minor mods all the way to 800whp+ builds.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by initialdrew
AHHHHHHHHH!!!! no brembo package on the Z!!!!!!!!! i cried.
lol it was next on my list... just never got around to it.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it.

My Z:

Your Z is sick dude, I remember seeing it around the forums and in Youtube videos here and there. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as well.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 07:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 754 Likes on 578 Posts
Id compare more the 370 to the X...Closer in price and performance. Though look on the dyno pages and see how little it takes to make power in the Evo. On top of that, the Evo tax isnt really that bad.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Id compare more the 370 to the X...Closer in price and performance. Though look on the dyno pages and see how little it takes to make power in the Evo. On top of that, the Evo tax isnt really that bad.

But I don't have a 370, I own a 350...hence the comparison...
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks for all your input guys. I appreciate it.

My Z:

Your Z is sick dude, I've seen it around the forums and on Youtube in a few videos. Interesting to see that we're in the same predicament.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Another thing about the Z's is how heavy they are. Add 2 doors, 3 places to sit, and a bigger trunk with the Evo and you still save a few hundred pounds.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jrah2987
Another thing about the Z's is how heavy they are. Add 2 doors, 3 places to sit, and a bigger trunk with the Evo and you still save a few hundred pounds.

But the EVO X is heavy in it's own right. I remember reading somewhere that they're like 3500-3600 pounds, while my Z is 3300. (But that is heavy for a 2-door sports coupe and if you meant that, then yeah, I agree completely.) Can anyone confirm the X's weight?...
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MKIVTTdTerror
But the EVO X is heavy in it's own right. I remember reading somewhere that they're like 3500-3600 pounds, while my Z is 3300. (But that is heavy for a 2-door sports coupe and if you meant that, then yeah, I agree completely.) Can anyone confirm the X's weight?...
3517 lbs for the stick according to MSN autos. I had the 350z touring, which I think was heavier than the others because of the power everything, nav, etc.

But yeah, I meant heavy for a 2 seater.

Last edited by Jrah2987; Feb 9, 2011 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: 350Z or EVO X GSR? Anyone from Louisiana?