Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Sell me on an Evo/STi based on my needs and wants.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buy an evo
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Have both here. 05 STi(roomates) and 05 EVO. Both are a little over your HP wish. Both have 35r's and several mods. So I will just wing it..

Sound.. STi
Handling.. Evo hands down
ease of working on.. Evo by a very little.
DD comfort... depends on the springs and or coil-overs you pick.
Seats.. tie
Price.. Evo
low end torque.. STi
Power--EVO

Pics for fun

Last edited by Steed77; Feb 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with erald01. 350whp seems like a lot for a DD, but I'm almost there and I'm already ready for at least 50 more with my next round of mods after this round, and I'm sure I won't stop until 450whp...Maybe 500whp and that's it!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:39 PM

I drove both and ended up with an evo, mainly based on price. The sti's were about 3-5k more for basically same year, mileage, etc. I love the subies ( i owned a wrx for 6 years) but at the end of the day price and ease to mod made me buy a evo. It all depends on which one you like to look at better honestly. Pick the one you find the most attractive and be happ!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 10isace
I agree with erald01. 350whp seems like a lot for a DD, but I'm almost there and I'm already ready for at least 50 more with my next round of mods after this round, and I'm sure I won't stop until 450whp...Maybe 500whp and that's it!
+1 i got used to my car and jumped to 382 whp and 430 tq and you still always want more
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steed77
Have both here. 05 STi(roomates) and 05 EVO. Both are a little over your HP wish. Both have 35r's and several mods. So I will just wing it..

Sound.. STi
Seats.. tie
Price.. Evo
low end torque.. STi
Power--EVO

Pics for fun
Thanks! So to elaborate, does your roommates STi still have aftermarket suspension and bushings/sways, etc and the Evo still has it hands down?

By "price" do you mean purchase price, mod prices, or both? And is the difference very much in your opinion?

Is the power/torque difference very noticable on the street? Really what I want to know is, does the STi feel that much stronger in the midrange and does the Evo have a peakiness to it? Or what?

Originally Posted by 10isace
Been there, done that, stopping at reasonable bolt on levels. Stock turbo, Stock internals. If the short block ever goes, I'll probably replace it with similar or a mild build, with mild cams for a strong midrange. No quest for peak power.

Originally Posted by jtbell86
I drove both and ended up with an evo, mainly based on price. The sti's were about 3-5k more for basically same year, mileage, etc. I love the subies ( i owned a wrx for 6 years) but at the end of the day price and ease to mod made me buy a evo. It all depends on which one you like to look at better honestly. Pick the one you find the most attractive and be happ!
This is very helpful. I've noticed this too. It seems like Evo's are lower across the range, but the occasional bargain price is similar between the two with 1 model year newer sometimes going to the Evo. I find both attractive and once I buy, won't ever want for the other. I think...

Originally Posted by jtbell86
+1 i got used to my car and jumped to 382 whp and 430 tq and you still always want more
I went through that also... but I finally reigned myself in financially. That or I grew up.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FERNO
Thanks! So to elaborate, does your roommates STi still have aftermarket suspension and bushings/sways, etc and the Evo still has it hands down?

By "price" do you mean purchase price, mod prices, or both? And is the difference very much in your opinion?

Is the power/torque difference very noticable on the street? Really what I want to know is, does the STi feel that much stronger in the midrange and does the Evo have a peakiness to it? Or what?

I went through that also... but I finally reigned myself in financially. That or I grew up.
The Sti has struts, springs, f&r sways, some chassis braces, endlinks, somekind of aftermarket DCCD ctl. bushings and 17in wheels. The Evo has Stance Coilovers, Rear sway, 18in wheels.... that's it. The EVO owns it in daily ride and quick maneuvers, more feedback I guess...To draw a different picture, The Sti is like a sharp pocket knife and the Evo is like a scalpel.

We both have cams, Sti has a built shortblock, Evo has ported head; Both have tubular manifolds and full exhaust.....same basic turbo. The added displacement spools ~600RPM quicker. There is a little more low end grunt in the STi. But the EVO seems to pick up the pace a bit faster. SO I think the DD part is sorta a draw.. the EVO is a bit more of an upper range rpm car. Side note, I am also coming from a 650 RWTQ pick-up truck that owns both till 65mph. To me they both have expected 4cy tq.

Price: buy in price is what it is.. you know this. Price for mods and price for more HP is much more reasonable in the EVO. The Suspension, wheels, tires, etc are the same $.

Also if you think you will stop at 350hp... I wish you luck. I think a perfect DD can be had with 450-500hp. Mine drives almost like stock, until you wind it out. Solid drive it anyplace. I also was going to be happy at ~350... I was for a few months.

The lighting in the Evo sux (non-hid). I am going to do a TSX retro-mod projector conversion when I get a chance... I also will darken the chrome on the housings. After this, it will be a rock-star in the lightning dept. Parts for this project are ~500bucks.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by Steed77; Feb 20, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:54 PM

Had an 04 STI for 133K mi (6 years )and now drive a 05 Evo MR

Hi!

My STI was bulletproof in stock form, it was not modded.

NO problems EVER even though it was driven hard daily.

Got 133k out of original clutch.

Low end torque STI.
Easy revving motor EVO
Braking tie.
Seats EVO, wish I could adjust them up and down though.
Handling at limit EVO.
Handling during normal driving tie.
Styling I like both, I like the EVO 8 hoodline as more functional (actually perfect).
Rear wing tie.

Easier to mod with more parts available EVO.

I've only had the EVO for 35000 miles so far 1 year, and it's so far 100% reliable at 83,000 miles, I'm just replacing the clutch now, standard wear and tear nothing special here.

The good thing is if you can make a mistake with your choice, you still have an incredible car.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

The Sti has struts, springs, f&r sways, some chassis braces, endlinks, somekind of aftermarket DCCD ctl. bushings and 17in wheels. The Evo has Stance Coilovers, Rear sway, 18in wheels.... that's it. The EVO owns it in daily ride and quick maneuvers, more feedback I guess...To draw a different picture, The Sti is like a sharp pocket knife and the Evo is like a scalpel.

We both have cams, Sti has a built shortblock, Evo has ported head; Both have tubular manifolds and full exhaust.....same basic turbo. The added displacement spools ~600RPM quicker. There is a little more low end grunt in the STi. But the EVO seems to pick up the pace a bit faster. SO I think the DD part is sorta a draw.. the EVO is a bit more of an upper range rpm car. Side note, I am also coming from a 650 RWTQ pick-up truck that owns both till 65mph. To me they both have expected 4cy tq.

Price: buy in price is what it is.. you know this. Price for mods and price for more HP is much more reasonable in the EVO. The Suspension, wheels, tires, etc are the same $.

Also if you think you will stop at 350hp... I wish you luck. I think a perfect DD can be had with 450-500hp. Mine drives almost like stock, until you wind it out. Solid drive it anyplace. I also was going to be happy at ~350... I was for a few months.

The lighting in the Evo sux (non-hid). I am going to do a TSX retro-mod projector conversion when I get a chance... I also will darken the chrome on the housings. After this, it will be a rock-star in the lightning dept. Parts for this project are ~500bucks.

Hope this helps...
Very insightful. Buy in plus price per HP more reasonable in Evo. I have to have the black housings... Maybe I will drive up to Nova and we can do them together if I get an Evo, lol. Two of the guys in my wedding live in the Sterling area.

Originally Posted by kcarpent
Hi!

My STI was bulletproof in stock form, it was not modded.

NO problems EVER even though it was driven hard daily.

Got 133k out of original clutch.

Low end torque STI.
Easy revving motor EVO
Braking tie.
Seats EVO, wish I could adjust them up and down though.
Handling at limit EVO.
Handling during normal driving tie.
Styling I like both, I like the EVO 8 hoodline as more functional (actually perfect).
Rear wing tie.

Easier to mod with more parts available EVO.

I've only had the EVO for 35000 miles so far 1 year, and it's so far 100% reliable at 83,000 miles, I'm just replacing the clutch now, standard wear and tear nothing special here.

The good thing is if you can make a mistake with your choice, you still have an incredible car.
Man that is great to hear. I love hearing from owners who have had both, and it's equally good to hear I'll have no regrets from either as a street car. What made you go to an Evo from an STi?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FERNO
Very insightful. Buy in plus price per HP more reasonable in Evo. I have to have the black housings... Maybe I will drive up to Nova and we can do them together if I get an Evo, lol. Two of the guys in my wedding live in the Sterling area.
HAHA. Just noticed.... I use to live in Raleigh. North hills off of Six Forks. Cool place. My Roommate is also form Raleigh. My office is very close to Sterling.

The headlights are not a bad fix. If you source the parts it's not too bad. few hours, few beers.. done.

Good luck on your quest... I was also here. I have driven crappy Evo's and Sti's. So give each a chance. Well maintained is more important than low miles. I am a fan of forum cars, at least there is a much larger chance that the car was at least cared for by an enthusiast.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:58 PM

Sound.. STi
Seats.. tie
Price.. Evo
low end torque.. STi
Power--EVO

Pics for fun

Sorry for the thread jack, but you should tell ur roomie to powdercoat his wheels black and get some rally armor flaps. His car would be absolute sex then.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:01 PM

This thread looks familiar.....
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
evo all the way.

subarus blow up all the time...well more like lots of cracked ringlands...

Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

I had an 05 STI for 90k some odd miles and it was a great car that gave me 0 issues. It had basic stage 2 mods IE: exhaust and a tune. It was a good DD car but left me wanting more.

I now have an Evo IX and couldn't be happier. The car makes more power with basically the same mods that my STI had and pulls a lot harder up top which is a big plus to me. The steering is light years ahead which is also a big plus.

I tell people that my STI was by far the best car I ever owned which includes a Supercharged C5, an 02 Mustang and a 93 240sx. The Evo is on it's way to replacing the STI as the best car I have owned but I don't have enough seat time in it yet. I will say this, after having the Evo for close to 10 months I would have a really hard time going back to the STI.

EDIT: Steed77 said the seats are a tie, LMAO. They are not even close. The STI comes with Recaro knockoffs which are some of the worst seats I have ever sat in. Evo all the way in the seat department.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:15 PM

I didn't read all the posts, but just to tie everything together....

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2137460

Quick Reply: Sell me on an Evo/STi based on my needs and wants.