Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Sell me on an Evo/STi based on my needs and wants.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steed77
HAHA. Just noticed.... I use to live in Raleigh. North hills off of Six Forks. Cool place. My Roommate is also form Raleigh. My office is very close to Sterling.

The headlights are not a bad fix. If you source the parts it's not too bad. few hours, few beers.. done.

Good luck on your quest... I was also here. I have driven crappy Evo's and Sti's. So give each a chance. Well maintained is more important than low miles. I am a fan of forum cars, at least there is a much larger chance that the car was at least cared for by an enthusiast.
No doubt, I'm scanning the forum for-sale every day. Did you have your Evo when you lived in Raleigh? Know of any good Evo techs and tuners in the area?

Originally Posted by Dirty25RS
This thread looks familiar.....
It's xposted at iwsti and nasoic, as mentioned in the OP. Or maybe it's deja vu.

Originally Posted by tim85851
evo all the way.

subarus blow up all the time...well more like lots of cracked ringlands...

That is '08-on. But still, I think on average the STi engines don't have the longevity of the Evo engines overall.

Originally Posted by jdlewh
I had an 05 STI for 90k some odd miles and it was a great car that gave me 0 issues. It had basic stage 2 mods IE: exhaust and a tune. It was a good DD car but left me wanting more.

I now have an Evo IX and couldn't be happier. The car makes more power with basically the same mods that my STI had and pulls a lot harder up top which is a big plus to me. The steering is light years ahead which is also a big plus.

I tell people that my STI was by far the best car I ever owned which includes a Supercharged C5, an 02 Mustang and a 93 240sx. The Evo is on it's way to replacing the STI as the best car I have owned but I don't have enough seat time in it yet. I will say this, after having the Evo for close to 10 months I would have a really hard time going back to the STI.

EDIT: Steed77 said the seats are a tie, LMAO. They are not even close. The STI comes with Recaro knockoffs which are some of the worst seats I have ever sat in. Evo all the way in the seat department.
Mmm. Interesting about the seats. What made them the "worst"? Where they less comfortable or have less lateral support?

I didn't read all the posts, but just to tie everything together....

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2137460
Nah, not quite everything. You'd have to link the IWSTI post as well.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FERNO
No doubt, I'm scanning the forum for-sale every day. Did you have your Evo when you lived in Raleigh? Know of any good Evo techs and tuners in the area?

Mmm. Interesting about the seats. What made them the "worst"? Where they less comfortable or have less lateral support?
Nope I was very heavy into the Fox body scene when I was there. Almost weekly trips to Benson and lots of just plain fun.

To the seats (@6' 190lbs): There is defiantly more lateral and lumbar support in the EVO's. Some riders call it excessive, I guess it depends on your perspective.(and their size) The STi seems a bit more wide of a seat. Short drives on the STi are a joy, I have not driven them more than an 2 hours at one time. I also did the lowering brackets on my Evo. This puts the placement where it should be is. Without the seat brackets, to me the seats are a close match. I'm coming from Corbeau's (in past cars), those fit fantastic.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:03 AM

Very insightful. Buy in plus price per HP more reasonable in Evo. I have to have the black housings... Maybe I will drive up to Nova and we can do them together if I get an Evo, lol. Two of the guys in my wedding live in the Sterling area.

Man that is great to hear. I love hearing from owners who have had both, and it's equally good to hear I'll have no regrets from either as a street car. What made you go to an Evo from an STi?
The handling at the limit, the seats,potential modability.

I'm constantly pushing the limit when cornering (But not being dangerous to others ; ) )

The seats are basically the best seats of ANY car I've ever driven period.
Porsche, BMW, Ferrari do have excellent seats, just as good as the evo from a performance perspective but I don't think any better.

My friends who have the above more expensive cars ALWAYS remark Holt Sh*t, I love the seats.

I'm also extremely lucky that the closest competant shop to work on my car is AMS Performance!!! 10 minutes from home, feel free to give me crap about that.

I traded a 1998 BMW M3 for the STI, and previously drove a 1985 Porsche 928S, I traded the STI for the EVO.

I very nearly bought a 2010 STI SE hatchback which I thinks looks great and is super useful.

I think it's a cool body style.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:18 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks, I'll need it! What comments stood out as an STi filling that need better?
Since you ask and are not afraid of comments that are less than positive, my rationale is very similar to this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...3&postcount=34

Why a STi and not an Evo? Because, as one very familiar with this platform, I don't think it's for you. You already have plants to kill the car's suspension for some individual idea of appearance - geometry, engineering, and the actual act of driving be damned - just as the bulk of the constraints hinge on superficial measures. In all honesty, I think you should look for a different type of car, altogether. I doubt you'll be very happy with either, long term.

Edit: I noticed that you're looking at a '03 and an '05, which makes me think that you're shopping price-point. If that is so, do yourself a favor and don't buy an Evo. Why? Because, you won't get a great car for little money, it will be frucked-up by its previous owners, it won't be fun to drive, it will break, it will cost you more money that I assume you wouldn't have to spare, otherwise you would have bought a better car to begin with. If you truly decide that you want an Evolution, be prepared to pay ~$25K for a very clean, promising example of the breed.

Last edited by FJF; Feb 21, 2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: text
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Lighting, Advantage: STi. I like the stock lights of the 04-05. JDM MR lights are like $2K+ for Evos. I dislike the look of the chrome.
Community, Advantage: STi. Edges slightly due to the sheer amount of Evo owners that think anything but "hellaflush" is "wack".
Interior, Advantage: STi. Evo felt... well... like a Mitsubishi.
Sunroof, Advantage: STi. Do not want. Do not have to worry about because I'm not getting a Limited.
Stealth, Advantage: STi. Dewinged and at ~stock ride height, might as well have a cover on it.
Lighting: The IXs (only the 2006 model year) have smoked housings, so they're not bright chrome. They look a lot better, and I actually prefer them over the all-black JDM units.
Community: Who here likes the "hellaflush" style? I think it's horrible. You must be confusing the Evo community for some other one.
Sunroof: I don't think that gives the Subaru the "advantage" if you don't want one. It's just an option on Evos (not standard), though on all Evo RSs, MRs and SEs, they have aluminum roofs.
Stealth: It's close, but I'd say that the hood scoop of the STI and its boxer exhaust note make it a lot less stealth. The only reason why I'd think that it's stealth is because without the wing, in passing it will look like any other WRX, while the Evo is less likely to be confused for, say, a regular Lancer.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:40 PM

I couldn't make a decision which one to buy.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Snake bite
have you ever been to a subaru meet? glasses and virgins bro. that alone is a good reason to get an evo for that people that are around you.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Since you ask and are not afraid of comments that are less than positive, my rationale is very similar to this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...3&postcount=34

Why a STi and not an Evo? Because, as one very familiar with this platform, I don't think it's for you. You already have plants to kill the car's suspension for some individual idea of appearance - geometry, engineering, and the actual act of driving be damned - just as the bulk of the constraints hinge on superficial measures. In all honesty, I think you should look for a different type of car, altogether. I doubt you'll be very happy with either, long term.

Edit: I noticed that you're looking at a '03 and an '05, which makes me think that you're shopping price-point. If that is so, do yourself a favor and don't buy an Evo. Why? Because, you won't get a great car for little money, it will be frucked-up by its previous owners, it won't be fun to drive, it will break, it will cost you more money that I assume you wouldn't have to spare, otherwise you would have bought a better car to begin with. If you truly decide that you want an Evolution, be prepared to pay ~$25K for a very clean, promising example of the breed.
Thanks, I appreciate all points of view and realize I opened myself up for some criticism. Appearance is important, but I think I can get there with a slightly lower set of springs without "driving be damned". Edit: But feel free to give me your suspension recommendations!

Superficial measures like practicality? I'll give you that point on the colors, but I don't want a color that I will hate, because, well, I will hate it.

The headlights, on the other hand, I will stand by. The stock VIII I have looked at look like absolute crap to me, and I think it is a damn shame to have to pay $2k for black housings, or pull honda-tech headlight baking maneuvers. Sorry.

I understand how my choices of cars I am looking at may have led you to assume that I don't have the money to spare, but this is not true. Payments on a 2011 Evo would only impact a small percentage of my savings contributions. I just do not desire to spend my money in that fashion. I'm old (37). I have plans to expand my family soon. I plan to retire one day, and rapidly depreciating assets are not my cup o' tea. I've already done the brand-new, 0-mile, $50,000 toy car, and it was kind of a waste for me. I also like deals and don't mind "previously enjoyed" vehicles.

I like simpler, lighter, vehicles, and I only wish that instead of buying that $50k '07 in '07, I would have bought a WW IX. I'd still have it.

My reason for shopping 03-06 is because I want a fast-amazing handling economy car to drive for the next year. I may buy a Tahoe or Truck at that time and split driving between that and the Evo. It needs to be able to be a DD at will.

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Lighting: The IXs (only the 2006 model year) have smoked housings, so they're not bright chrome. They look a lot better, and I actually prefer them over the all-black JDM units.
Community: Who here likes the "hellaflush" style? I think it's horrible. You must be confusing the Evo community for some other one.
Sunroof: I don't think that gives the Subaru the "advantage" if you don't want one. It's just an option on Evos (not standard), though on all Evo RSs, MRs and SEs, they have aluminum roofs.
Stealth: It's close, but I'd say that the hood scoop of the STI and its boxer exhaust note make it a lot less stealth. The only reason why I'd think that it's stealth is because without the wing, in passing it will look like any other WRX, while the Evo is less likely to be confused for, say, a regular Lancer.
Re: lighting. Thanks, I thought some looked differently... Looks like if I get a IX I don't have to do the bake.

Re: Community. Sorry, days and days of going through the 100's of pages in the picture threads may have frustrated me into an unfair knock on the forum.

Re: Sunroof. Yeah, but still, there have been 4-5 cars that I passed on due to SSL.

Re: Stealth. Thinking about the hood scoop becomes less attractive as time goes on. It didn't help that I had excellent visibility out of the last Evo I sat in. Also, While I would certainly de-wing an 04-05 STi, I would be on the fence for an 06-07 STi, and I'm less decided on de-winging the Evo. There are only a few de-winged Evo's I like the look of, with some specifics to wheel/tire, suspension and aero bits. I'd prefer wingless, but I'm not going to sell the farm to pull it off with the look I want.

I couldn't make a decision which one to buy.
Yeah. I'm hoping to run across a deal that I can't pass up.

Last edited by FERNO; Feb 21, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

With the STI you sit on the seats not in the seats. They are also built for "fat Americans", there is basically no support anywhere. They are honestly some of the worst seats in a $30k + car I have ever sat in. If you think I'm just being an Evo fanboy look up ChargedVette02 on IWSTI, you will see I *****ed about the seats from day 1.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by jdlewh
With the STI you sit on the seats not in the seats. They are also built for "fat Americans", there is basically no support anywhere. They are honestly some of the worst seats in a $30k + car I have ever sat in. If you think I'm just being an Evo fanboy look up ChargedVette02 on IWSTI, you will see I *****ed about the seats from day 1.
Side note on the "fat americans" comment. I completely agree.

Have you ever sat in the JDM STi seats?

Wayyyy better.

Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

^True, but JDM STi has way better everything!!