Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: Manual or TC-SST?
TC-SST
41.18%
Manual
58.82%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

5/6 speed manual or tc-sst?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter10654
The German EU Spec EVO's are always best cooled because we have no speed limit. Sometimes the turbine/compressorwheel is different but the most difference are on EVO 8/9 with AYC etc. The difference on the EVO X is not really worth for an import from to USA imo.

Peter

ONTOPIC: I drive a SST and I'm bored I can't go with really big turbo. That sucks... I know, there are upgraded clutches available but oftens the SST failures with electronic problems and electronic can not be replaced... If I mod my SST with better clutches and the electric goes down I'm ****ed.

That's the only reason I would buy a GSR. Driving and shifting the SST is fast and great.
i dont quite fully understand your statement about the differences in EU spec and USDM evos. are you saying it is possible to take an EU spec evo to the states or no? i would like to know this because if it is possible (or not so expensive) i would just buy an evo in germany and call it a day, instead of dealing with the trouble of importing one from the USA.

ONTOPIC: yes this worries me as well concerning the whole sst system going down. there are no good services for these (yet) from what i have learned. i might just get a gsr and get the wife something else to drive while i am deployed
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:55 AM

This is a choice of preference. Test drive them both and go from there.

But...think about this: Just about every modern supercar out there today comes with a twin clutch transmission. Ferrari is exclusive to it. That has to say something about the future of the manual gearbox.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
DD lite track use TC-SST
hard core - GSR.

Simple is that.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
DD lite track use TC-SST
hard core - GSR.

Simple is that.
Simple yes, but definition on what engine setup is "hard core" (no... Not ****) and is DD / lite track use is another story

Peter

@Balckburn

I don't know what is necessary to registrate a German bought car in the USA, but I know the difference on the EVO X EDM to the US is not really big. Heard about a different material in the turbine wheel but that's all. You need to convert to a mph speedo and need somebody who has the knowledge of converting the signal. Maybe it is in the US speedo from right the beginning.

Exhaust are similar. Same cat and cbe in both EVO X.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Simple yes, but definition on what engine setup is "hard core" (no... Not ****) and is DD / lite track use is another story

Peter

@Balckburn

I don't know what is necessary to registrate a German bought car in the USA, but I know the difference on the EVO X EDM to the US is not really big. Heard about a different material in the turbine wheel but that's all. You need to convert to a mph speedo and need somebody who has the knowledge of converting the signal. Maybe it is in the US speedo from right the beginning.

Exhaust are similar. Same cat and cbe in both EVO X.
if you want you can simple it down , like i wouldnt get a TC if the goal is over 400-450 wtq and longer runs on track. Like Nurburgring lapping
Hockenheim is kinda good but no 3 laps in the row...
My friend in the TC on Hockenheim on snow tires

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPYDhGenpJ4

I hope i was clear now
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
if you want you can simple it down , like i wouldnt get a TC if the goal is over 400-450 wtq and longer runs on track. Like Nurburgring lapping
Hockenheim is kinda good but no 3 laps in the row...
My friend in the TC on Hockenheim on snow tires

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPYDhGenpJ4

I hope i was clear now
I know Alex Wutzke "Importracing" very good but I think this isn't a powerful X. This is only a mapped EVO X and on this Video without SST Cooler. With SST cooler you can drive the SST over 24h.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41duY43zbZM

I drove a lot of rounds on Nordschleife with a extra SST cooler. That's not the problem. I think the SST is strong enough for 500NM (arround 380 ft lb). If you go with a bigger Turbo, keep the torque down to this level and drive with a lot of ignition for most possible HP. Different call's and talkes with Getrag guys here in Germany told me the SST is mechanical strong enough for 600nm (arround 450 ft lb) but not the stock clutches and I'm not sure if it is a good idea to change the clutches with enough programming options on the SST.

Peter
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I know Alex Wutzke "Importracing" very good but I think this isn't a powerful X. This is only a mapped EVO X and on this Video without SST Cooler. With SST cooler you can drive the SST over 24h.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41duY43zbZM

I drove a lot of rounds on Nordschleife with a extra SST cooler. That's not the problem. I think the SST is strong enough for 500NM (arround 380 ft lb). If you go with a bigger Turbo, keep the torque down to this level and drive with a lot of ignition for most possible HP. Different call's and talkes with Getrag guys here in Germany told me the SST is mechanical strong enough for 600nm (arround 450 ft lb) but not the stock clutches and I'm not sure if it is a good idea to change the clutches with enough programming options on the SST.

Peter
so we agree then
you can drive around long time for sure close to stoc level, but as soon as you hit a high TQ ... That car if im right is actually a test for the sst , and they do not run any big numbers.
ALso it is a lots of: if - maybe etc. around the SST yet, when it comes around hard core race.

So here is my take on that. If you get a dogbox the shifting time will be so negliable it is basically not worth to run the sst with the fix and oiher problems. Fact is a driver you can't really notice any difference, also the dogbox is MUCH more reilable and much stronger.

So if you do sreious race the SST is a waste of money , you will get rid of anyway very soon. Main reason is for that : weight- service ability- strongness - and very little advantige in shifting vs dog box.

this is a slow show case shifting with a evo X dog box from Kaps. Im sure you know them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0vUgUjl1ko

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 28, 2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Yes I'm with you... KAPS is of course a great solution. As I know Rayn Gates use it too Best woul be with antilag to hold the boost. That's the only nice "advantage" on the SST. Nearly full boost during shifting.

I think for hard core race/rallye the GSR is better and for really big power over FP RED I'd go with GSR....

Maybe in the future sheptrans and Dotson have a solution for more powerful X like they did it for the GT-R and hopefully the TCU software will be cracked

Peter
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:25 AM

i agree... if you go with an auto tranny get a luxury car... a sports car should always be stick...
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

I voted manual... SST is just a headache, it's not polished technology it's entry level DCT by Mitsu a ****ty company to get warranty work done at...

and if you want to mod, good by warranty hello popped 10k trans
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Manual = cheaper to buy + cheaper to maintain + easier to mod with

The SST does have it's advantages too though. Great for daily-driving, especially if you sit in a lot of traffic. It takes care of the shifting for you so you can focus on driving. Not a bad option if driving a stick isn't rewarding to you.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:49 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by lowkey
Thank you professor. Everyone by now know it's not a torque converter. But, it's still an automatic.
It's not an automatic, watch mitsubishi's service videos in the sticky in the drivetrain section. Mitsubishi themselves says it's neither, but both. It has synchros. It has electronic shifting controlled by a valve body.

Originally Posted by joseph143
ditto to you my friend.... you're captain of miss information do you work for the CIA or something?

its not hybrid anything. its a manual thats controlled by a computer.

and it maybe put you to shame with a manual... but not everyone is slow on the stick.

and three modifying the engine CANNOT void a transmission warranty. well at least on us sovereign soil...
Magnus and Moss warranty act do some research professor

sorry blackburn it doesnt apply across the pond.
See above, valvebody + electronic + internal clutches + synchros make it a hybrid.

Please go drive a SST on the track before you speak. You aren't going to put anyone to shame in a manual vs SST with the same driving skills. It's that simple. If you don't understand that, then you are talking out of ignorance.

And yes, I'm very well aware of MM Act. The problem is does not care. You can throw that word around all you want, but they have more money than you and will drag it out in court so far that you better have hundreds of thousands of dollars to back it up. It's been done time and time again. There have been a few SSTs denied warranty work with minimal bolt-ons.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Evod350z
Sst or manual. An evo can never be boring. Just slap it into manual and its jus another beast. I dont want to use the word ignorance but someone of you are basing your comments from a regular automatic corolla or something you drove lol. Test drive the sst and im sure youll have a different opinion. Like the dude on top saying its boring and claiming at the same time that he hasnt driven one. If you dont know what your talking about then try shutting the fack up lol. Jus kidding but seriously drive one.
If you actually take time to read what I said, you will understand it much better. I am not stating that the evo is a boring vehicle to drive with the SST. I know that I haven't driven an SST and that is exactly why I put that in there, because I am stating that based on my experience with automatics they tend to be "boring". As far as having a different opinion after driving an evo with the SST transmission, I am sure I will have a different opinion, but like many others have stated it just doesn't have the same "feeling" as a manual.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:25 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Please search, this topic has been beat to death and it's turning into another debate.

Locked.