Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: Manual or TC-SST?
TC-SST
41.18%
Manual
58.82%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

5/6 speed manual or tc-sst?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5/6 speed manual or tc-sst?

I am still in the market for an evo, but the household commander (wifey) demands getting a new one so it comes with warranty and blah blah blah. i want to do a poll on who recommends sticking with the old school manual or going tc-sst. my only un-answered question about the tc-sst is future maintenance. it seems like it would cost an arm and a leg later down the road for maintenance. so, based on performance and reliability, which would you choose?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:15 PM

oops manual only comes in 5 speed and the tc-sst comes in 5/6 speed.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Automatic is 6 speed. Manual is 5 speed. Whichever one you get, you will always wonder what the other one is like. I had a manual, switched to a SST. Love it.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:09 PM

I think the whole decision is up to you. You have to factor in what type of driving you will be doing most. If you do a lot of stop and go driving, then the 5 speed might become a pain since we know the Evo's don't have the smoothest transmissions. For this reason only, I think the SST is the best, otherwise I feel that you would be missing out on the whole experience of owning such a great car. The maintenance will be less on the 5 speed, but the reliability will depend on your driving style. If you are thoughtful driver then they should both be able to handle daily driving and spirited driving equally.
Like I said this is just my opinion, and have never driven a SST but I feel that it would just be too "boring" driving and automatic Evo, even though some people have said that the transition from 5 speed manual to SST is one that they don't regret.

Last edited by slowx; Feb 27, 2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
When you buy an evo, your buying a sports car, an adrenaline pump. I think that if you want to get it in SST, then you should be looking at a different car, a luxury car that will comfort you better.
..but that's just me.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

sst was the way to go for me. Always drive in manual using the paddles. Nice change up.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:28 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Man so many of you are speaking out of ignorance.

First off, the SST is not an automatic. It's an Automatic Manual Transaxle transmission. It's basically a hybrid of both.

Until you have tried the SST, you can't talk against it. I used to be a die hard manual only guy, until I test drove an MR. The SST is NUTS, especially at the track. It will put any manual car to shame.

I drive mine in Manual mode / Sport mode using the paddles 99% of the time. You are still shifting the car, and instead of using your left foot for a clutch you're using it for the brake. It's a fantastic piece of equipment at the track.

The downsides are high maintenance cost and it's not serviceable yet. If you're going after warranty and aren't planning on modding, it's ok to get one. But if you're going to mod, don't get one. It's took risky for it to go out and deny your warranty.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by migs647

First off, the SST is not an automatic. It's an Automatic Manual Transaxle transmission. It's basically a hybrid of both.
Thank you professor. Everyone by now know it's not a torque converter. But, it's still an automatic.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647

The SST is NUTS, especially at the track. It will put any manual car to shame.

The downsides are high maintenance cost and it's not serviceable yet. If you're going after warranty and aren't planning on modding, it's ok to get one. But if you're going to mod, don't get one. It's took risky for it to go out and deny your warranty.
ditto to you my friend.... you're captain of miss information do you work for the CIA or something?

its not hybrid anything. its a manual thats controlled by a computer.

and it maybe put you to shame with a manual... but not everyone is slow on the stick.

and three modifying the engine CANNOT void a transmission warranty. well at least on us sovereign soil...
Magnus and Moss warranty act do some research professor

sorry blackburn it doesnt apply across the pond.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slowx
I think the whole decision is up to you. You have to factor in what type of driving you will be doing most. If you do a lot of stop and go driving, then the 5 speed might become a pain since we know the Evo's don't have the smoothest transmissions. For this reason only, I think the SST is the best, otherwise I feel that you would be missing out on the whole experience of owning such a great car. The maintenance will be less on the 5 speed, but the reliability will depend on your driving style. If you are thoughtful driver then they should both be able to handle daily driving and spirited driving equally.
Like I said this is just my opinion, and have never driven a SST but I feel that it would just be too "boring" driving and automatic Evo, even though some people have said that the transition from 5 speed manual to SST is one that they don't regret.
Sst or manual. An evo can never be boring. Just slap it into manual and its jus another beast. I dont want to use the word ignorance but someone of you are basing your comments from a regular automatic corolla or something you drove lol. Test drive the sst and im sure youll have a different opinion. Like the dude on top saying its boring and claiming at the same time that he hasnt driven one. If you dont know what your talking about then try shutting the fack up lol. Jus kidding but seriously drive one.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:04 AM

yea its a hard decision to make. i have always been a hardcore manual fan until i learned about the tc-sst. i can imagine the maintenance costs (when it becomes serviceable) being outrageous if not covered in warranty. i really need to see how the evo feels before making the decision if i want to do heavy modding or leave it with minimal modding. the only other plus to having the tc-sst is that when i am deployed my (german) wife is able to use the car when i am deployed. she knows how to drive manual but does not like it. she's more into comfort driving. we've both agreed to get a new evo, its just the matter of manual or tc-sst lol. i love the control of a manual but have always been curious as to what its like to drive with paddles.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 02:51 AM
Evolving Member

I've driven manual cars all my life, and the Evo is my first "automatic" and I love it. Some people are purist (I used to be too, until I test drove the SST) when it comes to how they want to lay down power, but technology makes driving fast just that much more fun and accesible to the average Joe.

I'm not going to deny that I can't heal-toe and downshift mid corner without making my old car upset in transition. I wish I could, but I can't. The SST is amazing at doing that and makes commuting a blast.

The SST controller has some trouble choosing gears around the city, but I always leave in manual mode anyway. Just like having a manual car, just no clutch to operate with perfectly rev matched downshifts. Don't even get me started on the benefits during LA traffic.

I'm curious to know why some people are adamantly against such a fine piece of machinery.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 03:15 AM

im not sure as to why its not better than manual either because it still utilizes clutches for direct power transfer. IIRC most rally cars and supercars have a similar setup, except with a clutch for starting. i wonder what HP mark would require a stronger clutch set.

also i have another question: does anybody have any good info or resources concerning taking an evo x from germany to the states? in my opinion most cars worldwide are becoming more similar as far as emissions and what-not. my german mitsu. mechanic would tell me in a heartbeat if it could be taken stateside without conversions, but he doesnt know the laws for cars in the states. i tried researching it and couldn't turn up anything. it would be a LITTLE bit less paperwork and waiting to pick up an evo x in germany which would make my shopping easier. if i buy one in the states i'd have to ship it over which means paying for shipping, and then even more paperwork. i would like to be able to buy one in germany because my mechanic did tell me that there are some technical specs on the german evos that are better than the american evos. i think he said euro spec evos are the closest you can get to a jdm evo.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 03:18 AM

im not sure as to why its not better than manual either because it still utilizes clutches for direct power transfer. IIRC most rally cars and supercars have a similar setup, except with a clutch for starting. i wonder what HP mark would require a stronger clutch set.

also i have another question: does anybody have any good info or resources concerning taking an evo x from germany to the states? in my opinion most cars worldwide are becoming more similar as far as emissions and what-not. my german mitsu. mechanic would tell me in a heartbeat if it could be taken stateside without conversions, but he doesnt know the laws for cars in the states. i tried researching it and couldn't turn up anything. it would be a LITTLE bit less paperwork and waiting to pick up an evo x in germany which would make my shopping easier. if i buy one in the states i'd have to ship it over which means paying for shipping, and then even more paperwork. i would like to be able to buy one in germany because my mechanic did tell me that there are some technical specs on the german evos that are better than the american evos. i think he said euro spec evos are the closest you can get to a jdm evo.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackburn86

The German EU Spec EVO's are always best cooled because we have no speed limit. Sometimes the turbine/compressorwheel is different but the most difference are on EVO 8/9 with AYC etc. The difference on the EVO X is not really worth for an import from to USA imo.

Peter

ONTOPIC: I drive a SST and I'm bored I can't go with really big turbo. That sucks... I know, there are upgraded clutches available but oftens the SST failures with electronic problems and electronic can not be replaced... If I mod my SST with better clutches and the electric goes down I'm ****ed.

That's the only reason I would buy a GSR. Driving and shifting the SST is fast and great.

Quick Reply: 5/6 speed manual or tc-sst?