Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

I bought an EVO8

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought an EVO8

I bought an Evo8. Silver with carbon fiber wing and sunroof.

My other cars....
Audi 200TQ 20v
Porsche 911 targa '74
Porsche 914-6 2.2 MFI
Porsche 914-4 track prepared
'61 Chevy Impala 4 door - 46,000 miles
'03 Acura 3.2 CL - Wife's Car
'86 Firero 2M6 - Wife's car
'96 Chevy 2500hd tow vehicle

I don't get it.

All of the research I've done on the EVO said it was a great car. In going back, it was the EVO7 that was reviewed....

I decided to replace the Audi 200TQ with 220,000 miles. It's stock with the execption of a TAP chip and wastgate spring. But it was costing me $3,000 per year in maintenance.

The local dealer was selling Evo's for full sticker - no bumps... But there was a waiting list. I wanted a silver or blue car.

I live on a dirt road (1 mile each way) which is pretty rough/nasty for a few weeks of the year. I was wanting more of a rally car....

After 4 months of the dealer calling and saying they had black, red or yellow car. they stopped calling me.

On a trip back to Nebraska, I found a Silver one sitting on the showroom floor!!! I had to have it. Took it for a 5 mile test drive and I thought I wanted it.

So, I bought it and drove home to Michigan with it.

It's got 1700 miles on it now. And I've got several beefs with it.

Are all Evos the same?

It's got more rattles than my 200TQ with 200k miles on it and nowhere near the creature comforts.

There is a "oh boy" torque surge between 3,500 and 5,000 rpm if you are in the right gear and right speed, but it seems to fall flat at 5,000 rpm on.

Given what brakes are installed (real) on the car, I'm expecting to outbrake all of my curent cars.... It does'nt

It snowed 1" yesterday and the Evo scares me. Just touch the brakes and the ABS is chattering but still stops slower than my 200TQ with bald tires. Hop on the throttle and the Evo's *** end tries to pass itself. The book recommeds snow tires, but is that patching a flaw? My 200TQ is way better with bald tires and it has 235hp along with bun warmers.

Maybe I should have gotten a S4?

Anyone want an EVO8 with 2,000 miles?

Sorry about the ranting and raving, but it would be cheaper to spend the cost of the snow tires on the Evo and drive the Audi for the winter. Which is not what I wanted to do.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

sounds like u want a jeep
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

the tires arent meant to be driven on snow. You migh crazk the rubber. Switch them out immediately.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

well for creature comforts it is hard to beat and s4.

The evo is what it is, a rally bred sports car for under (or around) 30K.

Snow reviews that i have seen are lack luster without different tires as the stock advans are a tad agressive and more for the summer months.

A few mods (reflash or piggy back) will fix the post 5000 rpm problem and give the car more life.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:31 AM

Screw the Jeep, they are crap.

And I work under the shadow of Daimler/Chrysler in Auburn Hills.

I have an Audi 200 TQ that I was going to replace.

I thought the Evo was a Rally car.

Last edited by MI_Evo8; Dec 15, 2003 at 10:33 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:34 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock Advans are crap... buy some nice winter tires and then u will be set
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:47 AM

You NEED some snow tires. You should know that living in Michigan. I live in NE Vermont and we got dumped on big time last night for the second time this winter. The car is absolutely wonderfull in snow with some good winter tires.

One note, stock tire size is a bit wide for deap powder. If you drive on roads that are plowed less frequently you will find yourself "floating" quite a bit. At slow speeds this leads to bucking as the car climbs on top of the snow and then sinks back in.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

There is a "oh boy" torque surge between 3,500 and 5,000 rpm if you are in the right gear and right speed, but it seems to fall flat at 5,000 rpm on.
Buschur Stage 1. it will pull all the way to 7K.

All of the research I've done on the EVO said it was a great car. In going back, it was the EVO7 that was reviewed....
what'd you do, pick up the first "road and track" you could find and call it research?

Sounds like you should have done more homework.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you bought the EVO for all the wrong reasons.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:11 AM

Guess I should have stayed in the other half of the world.

Is anyone familair with a Killer B Rally Car?
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:16 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: I bought an EVO8

Originally posted by MI_Evo8
[B]I bought an Evo8. Silver with carbon fiber wing and sunroof.

Given what brakes are installed (real) on the car, I'm expecting to outbrake all of my curent cars.... It does'nt

It snowed 1" yesterday and the Evo scares me. Just touch the brakes and the ABS is chattering but still stops slower than my 200TQ with bald tires. Hop on the throttle and the Evo's *** end tries to pass itself. The book recommeds snow tires, but is that patching a flaw? My 200TQ is way better with bald tires and it has 235hp along with bun warmers.
maybe you're driving your evo faster than your other cars. with bald tires how faster can you go? chattering is normal for the ABS, is there no chattering on your other cars? the evo has summer tires, and that is not patching a flaw. if you want you can get an all-season high performance tires.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 11:23 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

You definitely should have got an A4. This is obviously not the right car for you. Probably best to offload it as soon as possible before you put too many miles on it and go for something that will make you happy.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:20 PM

Just buy a car that makes you happy and fits your needs!
Old Dec 15, 2003, 04:47 PM
In Timeout

Sell your evo and keep the 914, the EVO is for someone who wants a REAL car, not a 20 years old POS 914. I don't care if it weights 1800 and has a 50/50 it's still a POS. Also change the tires for the snow. lol Also maybe a car that is not 20 years old is not for you. Also you are right about the evo dies after 5,000rpm do a turboback and that will fix the problem. Spend 3k and get 350whp or about 420 crank. Then tell me what you like better the 20 year old poses or the evo...

My other cars....
Audi 200TQ 20v
Porsche 911 targa '74
Porsche 914-6 2.2 MFI
Porsche 914-4 track prepared
'61 Chevy Impala 4 door - 46,000 miles
'03 Acura 3.2 CL - Wife's Car
'86 Firero 2M6 - Wife's car
'96 Chevy 2500hd tow vehicle

I don't get it.

I decided to replace the Audi 200TQ with 220,000 miles. It's stock with the execption of a TAP chip and wastgate spring. But it was costing me $3,000 per year in maintenance.

The local dealer was selling Evo's for full sticker - no bumps... But there was a waiting list. I wanted a silver or blue car.

I live on a dirt road (1 mile each way) which is pretty rough/nasty for a few weeks of the year. I was wanting more of a rally car....

After 4 months of the dealer calling and saying they had black, red or yellow car. they stopped calling me.

On a trip back to Nebraska, I found a Silver one sitting on the showroom floor!!! I had to have it. Took it for a 5 mile test drive and I thought I wanted it.

So, I bought it and drove home to Michigan with it.

It's got 1700 miles on it now. And I've got several beefs with it.

Are all Evos the same?

It's got more rattles than my 200TQ with 200k miles on it and nowhere near the creature comforts.

Sorry about the ranting and raving, but it would be cheaper to spend the cost of the snow tires on the Evo and drive the Audi for the winter. Which is not what I wanted to do.

Last edited by DynoKing; Dec 15, 2003 at 04:50 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 05:11 PM

An Audi S4 would definately have more creature comforts, but with its stock Bridgestone tires it would be horrible in the snow as is the Evo with its stock Advans. I would think with the history of cars you own you would know that even with AWD, high performance summer tires are all but useless in the snow....just my 2 cents.