Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is the Cobb AP worth the cash?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011 | 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Cobb AP worth the cash?

Curious, What kinda numbers does stock pull and also If i was to get a cobb accessport and use there maps completely stock what should I expect. I'm holding onto my X for a little bit totally stock until I can afford to do a bunch of things all at once and was curious if the cobb is worth the money.

Thanks ahead of time
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, a lot of the same issues as i have--if you go to the Cobb website you can see the dyno graphs, in general it looks like the AP provides about a 20% increase. Unless you plan to do intake/exhaust etc mods right away (and even if u r) the AP looks like the best bang for the buck. Once you start modding (at which point u can probably forget about your warranty) a skilled tuner can provide more refined tuning to optimize the output from your bolt-ons.
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice product, no complaints with mine!
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 06:46 PM

Depends how technically savvy you are. Tactrix cable + Evoscan + WBO2 will be cheaper and more effective, down side is you have to learn a bit.
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

I just installed mine (Thanks to GTbullet) and the increase was noticeable right form the get go. Increase in acceleration throttle response everything, she feels a lot more playful now. It's also a great first mod, cobb also offers other maps to download on their site for each upgrade e.i. exhaust intake, and once you go all out and throw a full TBE, intercooler pipes, injectors you just sell it and get a pro-tune. I highly recommend it especially if you take good care of the unit itself you can always resell it for the price you paid for it. Try to find one used and save some cash.

I feel like I am a rep for Cobb lol.
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

The thing i like the best about mine is that you can have as many professional dyno tunes as u want to put into it and can switch between them in about 1 min. i have a 91 oct tune and e-85, very easy to use and i think it is money well spent.
Old Apr 4, 2011 | 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

I'm in the same boat OP, got a brand new 2011 GSR with ~400 miles that I want to mod oh-so-badly, but I don't want to take away from the stock 'newness' of the vehicle (my first brand new car) just yet. I'm going to sit on modding it for quite some time so the Cobb AP and a drop-in will do me just fine for now.

For those that do have the AP, are there flash tunes for just about every drop in air filter out there? I'm undecided on the drop in and if the AP doesn't offer a tune for a certain filter, that will definitely sway my decision one way or the other.

Sorry for the threadjack OP, hopefully this will elicit some good info for the both of us
Old Apr 4, 2011 | 10:44 AM

sfearl,
on the cobb website, go to the AP section, select your car type, and then select the tab "calibrations". As you look around, you'll start to see how they've set up the various tunes... stock, with Cobb SF intake, etc. After selecting the intake type, you can see increasing levels of mods as you go down the page showing the downloadable flashes/tunes. To understand them better, take a look at the "notes" links beside each.

In regard to your question about drop-in's ... unless i am mistaken, i don't believe Cobb creates separate tunes that are specific to stock vs. aftermarket drop-in filters. I've used K&N's on previous cars and they are as far as I know the standard for freeflow filters--however, keep in mind that a drop-in filter on its own is not going to add more than a few HP--probably within the tolerance of an 'off the rack' Cobb tune.

I have a new 2010 SE, and frankly, I'll probably just use the stock filter - not enough gain from a drop in to be worth the hassle of opening that wedged in airbox, and i don't want to put stuff on the car that the dealer will hassle me about (my dealer is very sensitive about aftermarket parts... very).

UPDATE: In reading the notes on the Cobb stock tune, pay careful attention to the following:

"Hardware such as drop-in panel filters, intakes, & exhaust systems with catalytic converters can skew the MAF sensor signal and/or create a dangerously lean fuel curve. This calibration has been established to run with the stock intake system using the stock intake filter only."

Last edited by Summit1; Apr 5, 2011 at 06:56 AM.