Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Help me decide...03 Evo or S2000 AP1

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2011, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy my s2k so I can buy an evo as my dd....lol
Old May 12, 2011, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

I currently have a '00 AP1 S2000 and an '03 Evo. The Evo is my track car, and I have been tracking it since new, and the S2K is a summer car. Both cars are great, but as others have said, they are meant for very different uses. I wouldn't want to use the S2K on a daily basis, but it sure is nice driving around during the Summer with the top down! My only complaint about the Honda are the seats. They give me a back ache on longer trips because of the lack of lumbar support. The Evo seats are extremely comfortable. I wish the Evo seats fitted in the Honda.

I have found both cars to be very reliable. Even with tracking the Evo for 8 years, the only major repairs necessary have been a clutch and a CV joint. The key to having a reliable track Evo is using high quality parts for mods, and not getting carried away with power modifications. Somewhere in the 300-350 awhp range is about right for reliability. Also change lubricants on a regular schedule.

Stock Evos do not have problematic understeer. They understeer a bit, but this can be easily corrected with good driving technique or modding the rear differential. Don't change the sway bars. Get a good quality set of coilovers (e.g. Ohlins) and choose the appropriate spring rates for your needs. Also, I find the quality of the transmission shifting to be similar between the two cars.
Old May 12, 2011, 03:54 PM

If I was in the states, there would be no question between the cars you listed. I would definitely go Evo. I am in Japan and despite being around GT-R's, High power RX7's (High power, not reliable :P ) I would pick the Evo. When I do go back I will have a lingerfelter built Camaro and an Evo of sorts not sure which number but we will see.