Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Help me decide...03 Evo or S2000 AP1

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me decide...03 Evo or S2000 AP1

Hi EvoM,

I am in the market for a new daily driver.

I need an opinion whos had solid feedback from both cars...

The Evo has always been a car that intrigues me, but I just got out of a S2000 and wanted to explore my options.

The car will be used for track, and for spirited driving(I live on the top of a windy mountain road ).

Modifications would just be basic bolt ons, quality coilovers, sway bars, and some more suspension stuff. I do not want to upgrade the turbo.

What do you guys suggest? How are the 03 evos? I've been reading, and it seems maintenance is pretty standard and not terribly expensive? Are the 03 Evos understeer crazy? How do both cars compare? Please give me some solid info!

Thank you guys, much love!

Last edited by suprajza80; May 8, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old May 8, 2011, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

powerwise i say go for the evo 200000%, ive driven s2k's before, there is no comparison.... one's a motorcycle and the other.. a bicycle. u guess which is which. lol. as for understeering, I dont think evo's are too bad. but s2k also has decent handling aswell. but you def need to drive both.
Old May 8, 2011, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
s2000
Old May 9, 2011, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you were going to buy a S2K, buy an AP2. The AP1's are unreliable and a lot of them are having random missfire issues that range from bad injectors to bent valves.

Of course I'm going to say Evo. 170k + on my 03, and still reliable as ever.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:10 AM

Like x12597456378

Originally Posted by nightwalker
If you were going to buy a S2K, buy an AP2. The AP1's are unreliable and a lot of them are having random missfire issues that range from bad injectors to bent valves.

Of course I'm going to say Evo. 170k + on my 03, and still reliable as ever.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:15 AM

I guess you could say why walk when you can run.... S2K is nice but doesn't have the history backing it up unlike the evo that has built its self a very unforgetable past in motorsports and competition... Or well if you buy a s2000You Will be gettin beat by EVOs and STIs but buy an evo and you can beat most out there as is sound for pound.. IDE choose evo now simply cuz I am young and dumb and need the speed to feel like I'm living but if I was older and more wise IDE pick.... A EVO...... S2k is nice yes ill give it that but evo has it beat in most the fields of comparison
Old May 9, 2011, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
evo for sure, was looking at an AP1 before i got my evo, handling is nice, but the interior was too small for my liking, and the power was missing all the way up to about 6000 rpm, by then the evo would have a couple of bus lengths on the S. plus the evo is easier to get more power from, and is more comfortable for long drives than an s2k, more room for people and groceries, the list of pros goes on.
Old May 9, 2011, 01:19 AM
Evolving Member

The S2000 is definitely a nice car. Lightweight and pretty powerful, but if you are looking for a daily driver I would say Evo because of its capabilites in all weather conditions. I wouldnt want to be cruising that windy mountain road you're talking about in the rain with the S's RWD.
Old May 9, 2011, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

I have owned an 03 S2K, 05 Evo, and 06 Evo. S2K's are nimble and will out handle an Evo in tighter corners but the Evo is a brute and will overpower an S2K where ever it gets the chance. Quality wise the S2k is nicer in every way from paint to that buttery smooth transmission. The Evo trans in no way feels as nice and just a warning to you will need a transmission rebuild and possible transfer case rebuild if you decide to buy this car. Evo's get really expensive really quick if you are tracking them. The cons of the S2k are that the bottom of the window starts at my shoulders which made me feel small ahahahah and most importantly if you own this car I highly suggest you garage it or get a hard top since an alarm wont go off when they cut up your rag top. Mine was stripped in my driveway and I live in a very safe neighborhood. Now an Evo will earn you more respect if you are at car meets since just bolt ons should make you faster than the majority of the others. At the end of the day it is the power that makes you forget about all of the problems the evo has and that it something you will not find in an S2K unless you decide to dump money into it.
Old May 9, 2011, 03:11 AM

for track days like you said evos are much better than the s2000 and with bolt ons you will increase the power further more, something you can't do with the s2k
Old May 9, 2011, 03:47 AM

Evo! Evo! Evo! Evo! Evo!
Old May 9, 2011, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

Holy fack, make the decision for yourself. Do a tiny bit of research on your own! Want us to pick out your clothes in the morning while we're at?
Old May 9, 2011, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Routybouty
Holy fack, make the decision for yourself. Do a tiny bit of research on your own! Want us to pick out your clothes in the morning while we're at?
lol

I have owned both. An 03 S2k and my current Evo.

The S2k was such a FUN car it was unreal. Very reliable, never had an issue. Car looked great and handled just as well. Granted she was no Evo, but she put a smile on my face every time I got in her. Miss her dearly.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:33 AM

I currently own both. Not sure about that dudes comment about the AP1's being unreliable. I have number 1300 off the line and have NEVER had a problem. Had it for almost 7 years and the only problem it's had was the CEL came on and I spent about 800$ just to find out it was a bad batch of gas. Good thing the 800$ was on things the car would need in the nearish future anyways (valve adjustment at 100k, etc...). But you have experience with the S so this doesn't really matter, ha.

There is no comparing the 2 in my eyes, it just comes down to preference. I live close to 129 and have had both there and I got to say, the Evo up there is just ungodly. I can hang with the majority of bikes and that's only with springs as fas as suspension. The S is great up there too, but the handling and power out of turns in the Evo creates a drug you can't get enough of! I can't imagine giving up either one of them but if I absolutely had to, I'd probably sell the S.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:16 PM

I have owned both a '00 S2k and an '06 evo ix se they are very different cars in my opinion. I miss my S2k so much then i drive the evo and forget lol. S2k's are very reliable and i loved the top down rear wheel drive feeling, handled very good, but really cramped ride. As for the evo obviously tons more power and cheaper to get there, more room, and better handling because of the awd. For your purpose get the evo but it wont be cheap to maintain, again for your purpose.

Quick Reply: Help me decide...03 Evo or S2000 AP1