Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why is it that ..... ?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2011, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it that ..... ?

Im in the Market for an Evo8/9 and im curious to why EvoX's are runninq for the same thing as VII and IX's ?

Im finding clean X's for $20k-$25k
And VII and IXs going for the same thing ! ?

Is there a reason for this ? Are the 8s and 9s favored over the 10's?

Im torn now on spending the extra grand or 2 and getting a 10 .....
Old May 12, 2011, 07:46 PM

I Am Torn Between these machines
Old May 12, 2011, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its all a preference of taste, however the 8s and 9s are favored more. If u look at the history of the car u will see y. The 03 evo 8 was the first to set its awd paws on american soil so that will always be legendary in my eyes. Another reason they cost the same amount is they hold their value really well and for some reason alot of people never seem to drive theirs alot. Alot of the 04s and 05s people sell have like 30k miles or less. Another reason they are favored more is cuz the 4g motor has been around since the 90s so there's been more time for r&d and its proven itself time and time again.
Old May 12, 2011, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Read up, a lot of Evo "purists" prefer the 8 and 9 because it has the 4G63 and is lighter than the X. I was in the same boat as you but choose to pick up a very low mileage 9 last summer. I could have got a used X for near the same price but I just couldn't get over a few things with the X's.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:24 PM

Thanks fellas.

Im not too fond of the Xs sytlinq. i see it at a fast family car where with the 8 and 9 is has thag very sport look. Im hoping to pick up an 8 or 9 for under 20k
i was just blown away that an 03 and 04 are going for the same and more then an 08
Old May 13, 2011, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The Evo X has proven itself since the 4B11 engine is actually pretty capable of putting up big numbers just as easily, if not more easily.

However, even though the Evo X seems to be able to corner faster, you can feel its additional heft, plus it doesn't feel as direct or involving as the previous Evos. But if you've never driven an VIII or a IX, then you'd probably be very content with the X.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

make sure you search other places besides this forum for evos too, lately people have been asking RIDICULOUS prices for the 8/9s on here, best thing to do is just drive them both see which one you like better make your own decision
Old May 13, 2011, 01:24 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. I have been looking for an Evo 8/9 for a while. I literally check every single day on autotrader, cars.com, and Evom. One of the biggest problems I find is that with the Evo 8/9s is they go to auctions and wind up at these crap hole "family owned" dealerships. These places are really no more than some dump that buys up highly sought after vehicles with all kinds of shady backgrounds. I checked in to about 8 different evo 8/9s today and something like 7 of them had been in an accident (if the place doesn't show a carfax, you can find a lot out just by googling the VIN if available). Not to mention the pricing as you said. I would gladly take a Evo X, and now that the used 2010s are showing up on lots there are more and more available. However, I think Evo X used prices are inflated, because of the 8/9 pricing. If you can do a private sale I would think that would be your best bet. My problem is I would need to trade in my car, so going for a private sale would be a pain in the *** trying to juggle getting rid of my car while trying to buy from a private seller.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
The Evo X has proven itself since the 4B11 engine is actually pretty capable of putting up big numbers just as easily, if not more easily.

However, even though the Evo X seems to be able to corner faster, you can feel its additional heft, plus it doesn't feel as direct or involving as the previous Evos. But if you've never driven an VIII or a IX, then you'd probably be very content with the X.
see thats where i would benefit i wouldnt have something to compare it to . Im qoinq off of hearsay and ppl just prefer to drive the older models
Originally Posted by blw6989
make sure you search other places besides this forum for evos too, lately people have been asking RIDICULOUS prices for the 8/9s on here, best thing to do is just drive them both see which one you like better make your own decision
idk what it is with this site. wht are other sites i can deal wth. Ive checked craigslist day in and day out . lemonfree.com . evom
Originally Posted by timmyturbo
I'm in the same boat as you. I have been looking for an Evo 8/9 for a while. I literally check every single day on autotrader, cars.com, and Evom. One of the biggest problems I find is that with the Evo 8/9s is they go to auctions and wind up at these crap hole "family owned" dealerships. These places are really no more than some dump that buys up highly sought after vehicles with all kinds of shady backgrounds. I checked in to about 8 different evo 8/9s today and something like 7 of them had been in an accident (if the place doesn't show a carfax, you can find a lot out just by googling the VIN if available). Not to mention the pricing as you said. I would gladly take a Evo X, and now that the used 2010s are showing up on lots there are more and more available. However, I think Evo X used prices are inflated, because of the 8/9 pricing. If you can do a private sale I would think that would be your best bet. My problem is I would need to trade in my car, so going for a private sale would be a pain in the *** trying to juggle getting rid of my car while trying to buy from a private seller.
yes im either taking out a private loan which has already been pre approved. or going through a dealership which ever works out best. but im just not finding anything im happy with. im either not happy with the price or not comfortable about the car and its history
Old May 14, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

other sites are cars.com, autotrader, CL or my favorite word of mouth lol
Old May 14, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my honest opinion personally both cars are great. The main reason why people down the X is because of the price and they dont feel that the price is worth the material which looks cheap on the ten for the price that they can get two evo 9's for. You get what you pay for the car is newer and the hype behind it youll pay for that price. Amazingly the ten does not get any real hype in that event.

I just dont see paying close to 30 grand for an evo x personally sorry. And everyone says it looks ugly and that it is an econobox wasnt the evo 8,9 econoboxes to with just added stuff on there just like the cobalt,srt4 even though people do not want to admit that too.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by impact blue
In my honest opinion personally both cars are great. The main reason why people down the X is because of the price and they dont feel that the price is worth the material which looks cheap on the ten for the price that they can get two evo 9's for. You get what you pay for the car is newer and the hype behind it youll pay for that price. Amazingly the ten does not get any real hype in that event.

I just dont see paying close to 30 grand for an evo x personally sorry. And everyone says it looks ugly and that it is an econobox wasnt the evo 8,9 econoboxes to with just added stuff on there just like the cobalt,srt4 even though people do not want to admit that too.
i feel you bro . the OG LANCER looks like **** ! same as the neon and cobalt but a little switch to the body makes a complete diff car .

I was just puzzled to why i could purchase a 10 for 24k and 8/9 qoinq for 20-25 k
Old May 14, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

the evo 8/9 is more PURE of an Evo and it was built with the intetion to be a sports car, where as the X has both the power and new technology ....the X is very daily driven friendly and more comfy, and a has lot more gadgets. Yea its a bit heavy but the means for power are there and the car is an EVO so it will perform like an evo...If I had to chose at this point i would def get a X for the reasons above, I always like fast cars with luxury options, and the X def has that, where as the 8/9 does not.
Old May 18, 2011, 01:56 PM

It is the same reason guys in the BMW community will buy a E30 M3 for more than a E36 M3. It is "pure" to some enthusiasts. My opinion, go drive a X, IX, and a VIII and decide what blows your skirt up most for the cash they are asking.