Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

ACD lights come on ... Ive searched

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACD lights come on ... Ive searched

So I have an issue with my 05 VIII MR - After a minute or two the 3 ACD lights come on.

What's odd is that all last fall and all throughout the winter (50* or less and low humidity) the lights never once came on. I would tear it up through the snow and never have the lights come on once.

Now that it's spring and the temps are getting into the 70 - 80* range and humidity is increasing I notice that when I go out to the garage and turn on the car in the morning I don't have any issues. After its fully warmed up and I, say, stop at the gas station or work and then go back out to my car the lights will come on after a minute and stay on.

I have read that the ACD system will do a check for pressure, etc and if it doesn't meet the requirements it will pop the 3 lights. I am wondering if when it's cold out and the fluid for the system is less viscous it has less of an issue... maybe Im just pondering out of my ***?

On a final note - when it's cold and I have the car off but the key on and I floor it I can hear the pump come on and it seems to check out fine, however, when it's warm or after driving when it's warm out and I do the same thing the lights will pop on. Also, I have yet to bleed the system so there may be an air bubble in it too.

Any thoughts or help?
Old May 27, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Bleed the system.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3voMR
So I have an issue with my 05 VIII MR - After a minute or two the 3 ACD lights come on.

What's odd is that all last fall and all throughout the winter (50* or less and low humidity) the lights never once came on. I would tear it up through the snow and never have the lights come on once.

Now that it's spring and the temps are getting into the 70 - 80* range and humidity is increasing I notice that when I go out to the garage and turn on the car in the morning I don't have any issues. After its fully warmed up and I, say, stop at the gas station or work and then go back out to my car the lights will come on after a minute and stay on.

I have read that the ACD system will do a check for pressure, etc and if it doesn't meet the requirements it will pop the 3 lights. I am wondering if when it's cold out and the fluid for the system is less viscous it has less of an issue... maybe Im just pondering out of my ***?

On a final note - when it's cold and I have the car off but the key on and I floor it I can hear the pump come on and it seems to check out fine, however, when it's warm or after driving when it's warm out and I do the same thing the lights will pop on. Also, I have yet to bleed the system so there may be an air bubble in it too.

Any thoughts or help?
You nailed it right there. Typically that means the pump is on the way out. Mine was doing the same thing last year and I replaced it. All is good now.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:29 PM

I will bleed it and give an update. Thanks for the quick replies.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:34 PM

Subscribed. This just started for me about 3 days ago. They'll come on during my drive home from work but never in the morning so I'm wondering if the heat has anything to do with it. Let me know if you figure out the solution. Can any damage be caused by driving it like this?
Old May 27, 2011, 02:03 PM

your acd pump might have gone out./
Old May 28, 2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by MitsuPwrd06
your acd pump might have gone out./
That doesn't make any sense... if the pump went out I wouldn't hear it kick in as mentioned prior. Also, it wouldn't work when it's cold but not when its hot.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by stevoooo
...Can any damage be caused by driving it like this?
As far as what I've read the answer is no. The acd system will remain "open" as the pump is not activating the ACD clutch pack.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:08 AM

Just found this thread that may help others...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ights-fyi.html
Old May 30, 2011, 10:45 AM

**SIDE NOTE**

I recieved a pm the other day with a bit of helpful informaiton for other folks out there with this problem as well. The pm came from "frankmc".

hi i will try to help out, 3 acd lights means there is a fault with the acd or the abs, fault codes are stored in the acd ecu,

get a paper clip and use it to bridge pins 1&4 on your obd
(diagnostics plug) as you sit in the driver seat its in front of your right knee,
when the paper clip is in place turn the key on (dont start the car)
if there are no faults codes the 3 acd lights will flash rapidly.

and if there is fault codes, the 3 lights will flash slower
for example fault code 65

there will be 6 long flashes slight pause followed by 5 short flashes,
simply count the long flashes as 10 6x10
and the short flashes as 1 5x1 = 65

there may be more than one code.

hopes this helps, frank
here are the acd/abs fault codes

12 power supply open or short circuit
21 fr right wheel speed sensor open or short circuit
22 fr left wheel speed sensor open or short circuit
23 rear right wheel speed sensor open or short circuit
24 rear left wheel speed sensor open or short circuit
25 wrong diam tyre
26 faulty wheel speed sensor
31 steer sensor system(st1,st2,stn)open circuit
32 steer sensor stn short circuit
33 steer sensor stn system
34 steer system st1 st2 short circuit
41 tps open or short circuit
51 longitudinal acc sensor open or short circuit
52 longitudinal acc sensor
56 lateral acc sensor open or short circuit
61 stop lamp switch system open-circuit
65 abs monitor system open or short circuit
71 proportioning valve system open or short circuit
72 directional control valve right open or short circuit
73 directional control valve left open or short circuit
81 ayc relay system open or short circuit
82 electric pump system
83 electric pump system
For those of you with a Tactrix cable and EvoScan the first part is not needed per say. Thanks to frankmc for the info.

Last edited by 3voMR; May 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: edit
Old May 30, 2011, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i just fell victim to this today. i looked down while crusing down the highway and became instantly depressed when i saw 3 lights.

today was the first time in my ownership of the car that it was over 70 degrees (85ish today). is it really possible that the temperature is the issue?

ill see if i can pull the code.

its an 06 IX with 49k miles.
Old May 30, 2011, 04:01 PM

I had mine scanned with a Snap-On scanner the other day and the fault code was 82 which I believe said pump failure or pump fault...something like that. The weird thing was when the scanner was plugged into my OBD-II port the ABS light started flashing. It has never happened before or after, only when the scanner was plugged in. The three ACD lights stay solid for me all the time and now it's every day that I drive. Can I assume that it's an ABS problem? This is my DD so I'm not going to be able to have it off the road too long but I'll try to poke around this weekend. Any more information is appreciated.
Old May 30, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
so the temp finally came down tonight, and i drove 20 miles home from a friends house and guess what, normal operation.

im not totally convinced that this means my pump is having issues.

i read mention of "thickening" the fluid?

when cold my fluid is exactly at the full line. ive noticed previously after driving that it was low, but not below the min line.

any thoughts? maybe just bleed and put in a tad more fluid than normal? does the fluid thin like oil over time?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by stevoooo
I had mine scanned with a Snap-On scanner the other day and the fault code was 82 which I believe said pump failure or pump fault...something like that. The weird thing was when the scanner was plugged into my OBD-II port the ABS light started flashing. It has never happened before or after, only when the scanner was plugged in. The three ACD lights stay solid for me all the time and now it's every day that I drive. Can I assume that it's an ABS problem? This is my DD so I'm not going to be able to have it off the road too long but I'll try to poke around this weekend. Any more information is appreciated.
When using a diagnostic tool like mentioned above or EvoScan etc. the ABS lights will flash and that is not indicative of any other issues - therefore I would NOT assume that it is an ABS problem.

I have been pretty busy with work so I haven't had a chance to check into my own situation further, however, I will check with EvoScan tonight for my code and post it up tomorrow.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 09:39 AM

This is still only occurring in the afternoon when it is warm out. In the morning only one light will be on and then when I'm driving home from work when it is usually 10-15 degrees hotter, all 3 lights will come on within a minute. I went out late last night when it was much cooler and drove about 20 miles...only one light stayed on. I'm convinced that something with the hotter temperatures is causing this but I have no idea what. I bought this car brand new in late 2005 and have only seen this issue the past few weeks. I have around 49,000 miles and no mods if that makes any difference.

Quick Reply: ACD lights come on ... Ive searched