Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Funny/stupid things people say/ask about your Evo!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at a car parts place & the guy was calling around trying to find out if his distributors carried a couple of things. His distributors kept not finding things for the Evo, but found a ton for the Lancer (not what I needed). He looks at me and asks about the Evo, "Are you sure that's a car?"
"Pretty sure."
Then he proceeded to tell me that no American manufacturers made anything for a car like mine.

I just thanked him & left.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by mydnyte93
On another note, I was at autozone and one of guys at the counter was like nice evo. Told him thanks it's the MR. He then says isn't that the slower model? Why didn't you get the RS. So I told em thank for your help and just walked out.
If you want to get into the technical power to weight to ratio side of things hes right.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

@cursedsm- Remember not everything always comes down to power/weight ratio. The slightly softer bilstiens and six speed on the MR would run faster around a track than the GSRs (which granted are not the same weight as the RSs) in a stock to stock comparison run by the magazines when the MR first came out. Suspension setup plays a huge part in being "fast" along with power to wieght. The real question should be faster/slower how/where? Dragstrip? Autocross? Full track? Smoking someone on the highway from 70 to 120mph?

@inuviii- you normally have to go down the list Mitsu>lancer>2.0 turbo to get where you need to be. I actually still had a problem like this though when I got my insurance quote. I called and told her everything and she gave me a cost quote which seemed like a great price then I called back once I bought the car and gave them the VIN..... the cost was 5x as much. I had to keep my other car as my primary just to knock it down to something I could afford at the time. I was not pleased to say the least.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=GR8WHITE RS;9351801]my favorite "DO A BURN OUT!"[/QUOTE]

X2 lol that's a funny 1
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:07 AM

Thanks, dolson. The whole point of the story wasn't that I couldn't find the info. The point was that car "professionals" not only couldn't find the info, but they weren't sure that the Evo is even a car (as opposed to a truck or SUV) & that, according to them, no American manufacturers make things for the car.

Originally Posted by rick1024
dood with a scion xb said my car looked gay with the orange wheels on.

let me repeat that, dood with a scion xb
lol!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Had some old fart come up to me at the local autoX event and ask me "how much back pressure are you running"? My reply "0". He gave me a weird look lol. That's when I told him it has a turbo so the less back pressure the better.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can... Measure back pressure?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tpatterson
You can... Measure back pressure?
Can you? I was in a hurry to tach in so didn't have time to talk to him about his weird *** theory's lol.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2006GSR
Can you? I was in a hurry to tach in so didn't have time to talk to him about his weird *** theory's lol.
I've never heard of such a thing that's why I was asking. You said he asked how much back pressure you were running. I have never heard of being able to measure it, I was just as confused as you are.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've heard of someone measuring backpressure on their MR2 by installing a high-temp pressure sensor on their exhaust manifold.

When the pressure in his intake manifold was 12psi, the pressure in his exhaust manifold was about 15psi. When he turned up the boost and the pressure in his intake manifold was 15psi, the pressure in his exhaust manifold was about 20psi...I think. (That's what you get when your MR2 has a factory turbocharger with a little-bitty turbine housing.)

This is probably one of the things a manufacturer studies when they're testing prototypes and trying to decide what size turbo to put on a car.

I'm not going to study this on my Evo because...
A) the information is really, really trivial while I'm sticking to autocross STU rules, and
B) It involves a hole in my exhaust manifold, and that sounds like a good way to make bad things happen.

If you were studying this on a non-turbo car, you'd be looking at the relationship between backpressure at the exhaust manifold and vacuum in the intake manifold. You'd probably be using some adjustable muffler like a SuperTrapp, and deciding how many disks to leave in it for race day.

I don't know why some dude would assume you're measuring it. You're right: He's wierd.

Last edited by BluEvo210; Aug 19, 2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: addendum
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can most definately measure back pressure. I work for Mercedes at the dealership and we have a special tool that measures back pressure out of the exhaust, installed at the tip. I never really had to use it, but it can be used for diagnosing restrictions like faulty catalyst. Because I never had to really use it I am not even sure what the specs should be for a vehicle. I think somehting like this would be more commonly used in GM vehicles, they seem particularly sensitive to exhaust back pressure, at least the LT1 engines were.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Just had a chick friend ask me if my evo was a 2 door.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:01 AM

@inuviii- you normally have to go down the list Mitsu>lancer>2.0 turbo to get where you need to be. I actually still had a problem like this though when I got my insurance quote. I called and told her everything and she gave me a cost quote which seemed like a great price then I called back once I bought the car and gave them the VIN..... the cost was 5x as much. I had to keep my other car as my primary just to knock it down to something I could afford at the time. I was not pleased to say the least.[/QUOTE]

HAHHAH!!! I told my wife that the insurance was cheaper than my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. When I bought the 05 EVO and insured it it was $100 more than my Dodge a month! WTF???? Wife still doesnt know.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:08 AM

When buying my Evo 8 my wife said I dont like the wing! If you took it off I would like it. OH! Does it fit the kids and the double B.O.B. stroller?

Answer is "yes it fits the kids because the back seat is bigger than the STI's I was looking at and yes the double B.O.B. stroller fits in the trunk... If I take all the wheels off!"

Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was asked by a 'subaru guru' if my evo came with the optional awd.