Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Stripped spark plug hole help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripped spark plug hole help!

What can be done to fix this besides swapping the head? I heard helicoil but it's a mixed review since it's an aluminum head. Anybody have this problem or any advice?
This is on a Evo 8 head.

Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
I would try retapping it very carefully before anything else. You will have to remove the head for this.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:49 PM

I don't have a problem pulling the head but I believe the threads are completely shredded. I tried putting a new plug in and I'm pretty sure it slid in all the way to the bottom.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, you have a big problem--- however not all is lost. Get a spark plug tap first--they make them, should be at the parts store--got to be for a sparkplug though. First see if you can even get a good start like set the tap in the hole so it will catch--if so, coat the tap with grease and ease it back into the whole and tap very slowly, turn in 1/2 turn then back out 1/4 turn. About 1/2 way down pull it all the way out and clean off the tap recoat and go back to finish. The grease will catch the shavings and by doing it in two steps you will have fewer shavings to risk falling in. Not that thats a problem, you already have shavings from forcing it in already-- But thats your fix..just take you time and do it rt. Helicoil is next if needed, and you dont have a choice no matter what you have heard.. just do it rt.

Edit: just saw your post-- if you can drop a plug all the way in, Helicoil is your only option, you could do it on the engine, following above-- I would get someone else to do it for me though

Last edited by meckert; Jun 24, 2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to helicoil it. They will hold just fine. Take it to a professional if your not comfortable with the process.

My buddies 04 mustang cobra stripped a plug hole and he helicoiled it. Held up just fine for years until he sold it. This is also the supercharged one so it will hold boost just fine.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

This happened to me from a plug backing out and taking the threading with it on it's way out. The plug could slide smoothly in it so retapping wasn't on option. They tapped it out a size larger and put an insert in, like the helicoils although from the pictures I'm seeing it's a different brand/style. Same idea though. I'm not too worried about it holding, because it's a whole lot stronger than the threading on a plug. If something were to fail, it would be that in my opinion. They did it with the head on the car btw, but I wasn't there to watch them do it to see the exact details of what they did. Be sure you or whoever checked compression after you put it in to make sure it's sealing completely. You don't want hot exhaust gases shooting out of a leak or anything there.