Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

My Evo Story

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:21 PM
KJS
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Evo Story

Hi EvoM!! My name is Kyle, I'm 19 and I've been a long time creeper on the forum looking at everyone's oh so beautiful cars and been drooling since day 1.

In 2003, when I was 11 years old, the movie 2 Fast 2 Furious came out. As some of you may know it featured a tricked out evo 7 driven by Paul Walker. I became infatuated with the movie and more specifically the yellow hero car. Since my eyes had set sight on that car I have been obsessed with owning one. (Look at my S/N)

Often times being brought down by my older brother for not wanting a "'merican" muscle car and liking a "ricer." I continued my desire for the evo, mind you much more secretively, as I watched the 8 and subsequent 9 come out in all their glory.

It got so bad my girlfriend would mock how I awed at evos as I drove by them on the road and it became a running joke of "Save your pennies."

Finally, after my first year at college, I had saved up enough money to start looking never mind actually buying one. I proposed the idea to my grandfather about spotting me some money and he agreed as long as I paid him back.

The next hurdle was my father, who is a very conservative, save your money, kind of guy. I mean he is right, I'm 19 and buying a 23,000$ car isn't necessarily the most common and sensible thing to be doing, but I simply can't wait any longer. I had him call our insurance company and they settled on ~600$ per year for coverage and I was in the clear.

I am over come with excitement and I am scheduled to go pick one up in late July!!!!

I will certainly post pictures in the Show and Shine thread when I finally own one!!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man, we all wanted one when were young...but I think what helps us appreciate and take care of these powerful machines is the respect and patience we've earned as we got older. I hate to be a preachy prophet here, but I promise you you'll wreck it in your first year, possibly totalling it. I urge you, to get training on precision driving, accident avoidance, and above all, self-control. Its not just a car bro, it's a way of life, and you have to respect it or it will kill you.

I bought my evo when I was 27, now almost 29, never been in an accident with it, and haven't broken anything i couldn't fix at home. Start with a Honda bud, you'll save yourself the heart-ache, and possible personal physical injury, not to mention thousands of dollars in attorneys fee's and court costs when you do, I repeat, when you DO get caught for effing around in it.

Take my advice whichever way you please, I know i didn't listen to my parents when I was your age either, but back then the Evo 5/6 wasn't even imported over here, so I was like, well, better bide my time with a p.o.s. Glad I did, because this car is everything I had hoped it would be, and someone will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Hate to be a downer dude, and without knowing you or your driving habits, I do know how 19yr old males drive.... Personally, I'd learn that self-control now, and maybe come back to the dealers table when you've had time to get in touch with what you'll need to have once the keys are in hand.

Good luck, and godspeed, in any case.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:19 PM
KJS
Evolving Member

Thanks man. I understand the temptation and the seriousness of 290 horses. I also understand that there's a time and a place to let it loose. I don't think I'm a particularly an aggressive driver and a good (for 19) defensive driver. I have a buddy who is 30 years old who used to teach defensive driving programs and I took a side training course with him, so that I was pretty prepared for the power I was going to eventually have. I can ramble on about all this stuff, but it really doesn't matter does it?

I think it's unfair to 'promise' me that I'm going to total the car when I get it, and I don't think someone should make that judgement or wish it on someone, but I guess to each his own.

Regardless, I do appreciate your concern.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OfaceGrimmins
Hey man, we all wanted one when were young...but I think what helps us appreciate and take care of these powerful machines is the respect and patience we've earned as we got older. I hate to be a preachy prophet here, but I promise you you'll wreck it in your first year, possibly totalling it. I urge you, to get training on precision driving, accident avoidance, and above all, self-control. Its not just a car bro, it's a way of life, and you have to respect it or it will kill you.

I bought my evo when I was 27, now almost 29, never been in an accident with it, and haven't broken anything i couldn't fix at home. Start with a Honda bud, you'll save yourself the heart-ache, and possible personal physical injury, not to mention thousands of dollars in attorneys fee's and court costs when you do, I repeat, when you DO get caught for effing around in it.

Take my advice whichever way you please, I know i didn't listen to my parents when I was your age either, but back then the Evo 5/6 wasn't even imported over here, so I was like, well, better bide my time with a p.o.s. Glad I did, because this car is everything I had hoped it would be, and someone will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Hate to be a downer dude, and without knowing you or your driving habits, I do know how 19yr old males drive.... Personally, I'd learn that self-control now, and maybe come back to the dealers table when you've had time to get in touch with what you'll need to have once the keys are in hand.

wow, so pretty much u suck at life and for some reason think youre cool.

Kyle, just buy your Evo man.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2plaz
wow, so pretty much u suck at life and for some reason think youre cool.

Kyle, just buy your Evo man.
Just trying to prevent heartache dude. Thanks for the flame.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol,yeah I'm 21 and I just got my evo.I had a eclipse gst for a few years and I built it and it made 330 HP.I'm glad I started there because I learned a lot about the 4g63 because it broke about every other time I drove it.Anyways its still hard to have self control and not drive like a idiot...just think of it like what if...you wreck a car that costed you a grip,if you wreck and kill yourself or someone else,if you get a ticket and your insurance gets jacked way up....PS $600 a year? That must be for just liability.I wouldn't recommend that if you wreck it you will be f'd in the B....I have my evo paid off but I still shell out $150 a month with a clean record just if the unthinkable is to happen.anyways good luck to you.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Oface, I understand where your coming from but you can't promise his going to do something with out knowing him

I bought my own evo with my own money and my own credit when I was 19 and have NEVER been in a car accident. I have driven like a douche in it however I'm not going to lie about that.

I know allot of "kids" are extremely likely to wreck but that doesn't go for everyone.

I recommend to every (young) evo driver to get into motorsports, not only is it a **** load of fun but it will teach you driving skills that can prevent you from getting into accidents on the street. (drag racing is useless however)

OP congrats now please prove me right and don't crash LOL

Last edited by Montu; Jul 14, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Montu
Oface, I understand where your coming from but you can't promise his going to do something with out knowing him

I bought my own evo with my own money and my own credit when I was 19 and have NEVER been in a car accident. I have driven like a douche in it however I'm not going to lie about that.

I know allot of "kids" are extremely likely to wreck but that doesn't go for everyone.

I recommend to every (young) evo driver to get into motorsports, not only is it a **** load of fun but it will teach you driving skills that can prevent you from getting into accidents on the street. (drag racing is useless however)

OP congrats now please prove me right and don't crash LOL
Good call and insightful. A shame some of the other members don't share your eloquence.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good call and insightful. A shame some of the other members don't share your eloquence.
I agree with everything said thus far.

I do think it's pretty stupid to say with certainty he will wreck his car just because he is 19 and has never driven an Evo.

I got mine with 6,000 miles on the clock in 2007 when I was 17 years old.

Guess what? I haven't wrecked it or gotten a single speeding ticket thus far and it has over 45,000 miles.

I understand you're trying to speak to the "lowest common denominator" but seriously, cut the guy some slack.

If you have the money and can afford the EVO with all the gas and maintenance costs, go for it. Being that my dad paid for mine, and pays my insurance...I know I could NEVER afford that car by myself at that age. I'm 21 years old now and I still couldn't afford it.

If you're willing to spend 90% of your income for a car then by all means go for it. I would just rather have some spending money on the side for taking girls out, eating out, etc.

To each his own though..
Old Jul 14, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah this post is FTL. I got my 300whp STI when I was 17 and not once as so much put a ding into it. I've been driving 500+whp 997s and C6Zs since I was 17 years old. I've been pretty stupid before on the road but I know the limits, which most kids do not, not once have I even come close to crashing, gotten a ticket, or anything, perfect record, I was trusted with 2, 10 second street cars when i was in high school. Maybe because, YOU aren't a good driver, and would have crashed one, doesn't mean you should try to bring this kid down. I'm 19 also and just picked up my Evo X a few months ago, soon to be a 450whp car, and that might not even be enough. Don't tell him hes going to wreck it. A stock Evo isn't even a fast car these days. 230whp isn't much if I recall. By your age I'll be needing something like an Alpha 12 GTR at this rate lol, an Evo is the pefect car, thats the car every teenager wishes they had, so don't burst his bubble, because you had to drive a Honda around when you were our age.

FYI, been doing autox for 3 seasons now.

OP, get the Evo, you will love it. Plus honestly, you have to be doing something insanely stupid in this car to crash it, that or you're completely stupid."get a Honda", stupid idea, everytime you see an Evo you're going to be kicking yourself in the *** knowing you could be driving one.

Last edited by HAHAV8; Jul 14, 2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hopeful_Kid18
Hi EvoM!! My name is Kyle, I'm 19 and I've been a long time creeper on the forum looking at everyone's oh so beautiful cars and been drooling since day 1.

In 2003, when I was 11 years old, the movie 2 Fast 2 Furious came out. As some of you may know it featured a tricked out evo 7 driven by Paul Walker. I became infatuated with the movie and more specifically the yellow hero car. Since my eyes had set sight on that car I have been obsessed with owning one. (Look at my S/N)

Often times being brought down by my older brother for not wanting a "'merican" muscle car and liking a "ricer." I continued my desire for the evo, mind you much more secretively, as I watched the 8 and subsequent 9 come out in all their glory.

It got so bad my girlfriend would mock how I awed at evos as I drove by them on the road and it became a running joke of "Save your pennies."

Finally, after my first year at college, I had saved up enough money to start looking never mind actually buying one. I proposed the idea to my grandfather about spotting me some money and he agreed as long as I paid him back.

The next hurdle was my father, who is a very conservative, save your money, kind of guy. I mean he is right, I'm 19 and buying a 23,000$ car isn't necessarily the most common and sensible thing to be doing, but I simply can't wait any longer. I had him call our insurance company and they settled on ~600$ per year for coverage and I was in the clear.

I am over come with excitement and I am scheduled to go pick one up in late July!!!!

I will certainly post pictures in the Show and Shine thread when I finally own one!!

Congrats dude I have been exactly where you been. I got my EVO when I was 19 too and its fine to this day. I am sure when I was 19 I wanted the EVO more than anyone else lol. I am 21 now. When I was 16 I got my first car which was a SRT-4 although it wasn't as powerful it was still a handful. I learned to appreciate the speed but I deifiently did some very dumb things in it that I regret. I am still in college too and the only advice I can give you is.

Be careful with the drinking and driving. The EVO is fast and a cop magnet, you don't want to get in trouble cause you were intoxicated.

Repairs are costly keep that in mind when you rag on the car. If you have an average college student budget

Get involved into some sort of legal racing. Autocross, Drag, Rally whatever it is have fun with the car it will make it more enjoyable pushing its limits.

Try not to be like me and drop every cent you have into the car to mod it. There will be plenty of time for the that later in life. Try and enjoy your youth while you still have it

Be Responsible

Last edited by meggs00; Jul 14, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by meggs00
Congrats dude I have been exactly where you been. I got my EVO when I was 19 too and its fine to this day. I am sure when I was 19 I wanted the EVO more than anyone else lol. I am 21 now. When I was 16 I got my first car which was a SRT-4 although it wasn't as powerful it was still a handful. I learned to appreciate the speed but I deifiently did some very dumb things in it that I regret. I am still in college too and the only advice I can give you is.

Be careful with the drinking and driving. The EVO is fast and a cop magnet, you don't want to get in trouble cause you were intoxicated.

Repairs are costly keep that in mind when you rag on the car. If you have an average college student budget

Get involved into some sort of legal racing. Autocross, Drag, Rally whatever it is have fun with the car it will make it more enjoyable pushing its limits.

Try not to be like me and drop every cent you have into the car to mod it. There will be plenty of time for the that later in life. Try and enjoy your youth while you still have it

Be Responsible
^^^ Couldn't have said it better; also be sure to keep some $ on the side in case you need a repair (ex. new clutch)...GL w/ whatever car you choose.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

LMAO. I'm also a driving instructor by night, but hey, what do I know about statistics and hard facts. Just trying to help the kid out, and certainly didn't intend to insinuate that he would, without exception smash his car or kill somebody. Simply stating when i was his age, I simply wasn't ready for a car like this.

And to the guy who's daddy pays for everything, congrats bud, must be nice.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:37 PM

Congrats and good luck man. I envy all you young guys that got into evos at 19 and 20... I didn't get mine until I was 30! My first car my parents paid for was an 89' Chrysler LeBaron. You should be fine. They're amazing cars but, It's not like it's a Z06 that's a pain in the a$$ to control.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:15 PM
KJS
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meggs00
I don't drink

Congrats and good luck man. I envy all you young guys that got into evos at 19 and 20... I didn't get mine until I was 30! My first car my parents paid for was an 89' Chrysler LeBaron. You should be fine. They're amazing cars but, It's not like it's a Z06 that's a pain in the a$$ to control.

Yeah, I also feel like I have to get one soon because I don't really like the X's all that much, and finding a 8 or 9 gem is hard enough as is. If I did the sensible thing and waited till I was out of college and working as an engineer than I would be even more difficult.

I do appreciate all the support. Again, I am fully aware of the risks and cliches that I am entering into, but wish me luck!

I'll surely post in the Show and Shine forum when it comes around. I'm going to look this saturday and a couple of evos but the price and the car has to be right!!

Quick Reply: My Evo Story