Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

You know you drive an EVO when...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:15 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Often folks replace the motor mounts with significantly stiffer options, replace their bushing with something similar, add an overly stiff suspension and then wonder why the car starts to rattle. Well, what car wouldn't?
Mine rattled fresh out of the box

Can fix a few here and there, but they come and go as they please - usually depending on the weather and/or gremlins, lol.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:14 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AFD
Mine rattled fresh out of the box
You have a X. I always harp about the interior materials' quality, which frankly sucks. I remember getting into one of the first (newer) Lancers at my local Mitsu store, right before the X was released, and lightly pressing on the HVAC controls. There was squeaking in the rubbing plastics right off the bat.

Can fix a few here and there, but they come and go as they please - usually depending on the weather and/or gremlins, lol.
I'm not surprised. If we poll the forum population, at least half will complain about the paint and the other half will complain about rattles. There's some truth in all of this. The paint of the X is very thin. True. The paint on the previous generation wasn't; it was actually fairly decent. Yet, one can't swing a dead cat without seeing a number of individuals discussing just how bad it is. Should I post pics illustrating the opposite? I think you see where I'm going. I can't comment on your specific car. I can only say that I've bought 2 brand new CT9A Evolutions and neither rattled right out of the box. One was a RS. It actually felt a little tighter than the SE. If I were you, assuming you really care about this like I do, I'd isolate the rattles one by one, systematically. There a methodology to this, just as there are materials mentioned earlier that used specifically for this purpose.

Edit: Coincidentally, someone brought back a rattling thread from 06 on General featuring my own post from from 5 years ago:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/3431840-post32.html

Last edited by FJF; Nov 10, 2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:05 AM

when you hear every little spec of dust / rock hitting your car during the drive and then look for the chips and dings when you park.

drive the speed limit and don't take the race bait from A4s...

notice that in NYC only the Europeans have any idea what you are driving...

a new M3 can't lose you on the back roads and then you pass him/her on the highway...
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

When your seat staples stab you in the shoulders.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by JG05VIII
When cars that are suppose to be fast pull behind you instead of next to you at a light.

I love it when a newer mustang, or other common "supposed to be fast car" pull up and stop like 3 feet behind me.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

You know you drive an Evo when your iPhoto holds more pictures of the Evo then pictures of family, friends, etc. combined!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:57 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
If you lived near me, I'd gladly help out. My garage is stocked with closed-cell foam, Butyl rope, deadening material, and there's some experience on the part of yours truly. I bet we could get a lot done.

I think there's also a matter of realistic expectations (not relating to golgo). Often folks replace the motor mounts with significantly stiffer options, replace their bushing with something similar, add an overly stiff suspension and then wonder why the car starts to rattle. Well, what car wouldn't? As with many mods, this starts as a small compromise in NVH, then the next mod adds another small compromise, then another and pretty soon one is sitting in a tin can. If that's what you made, that's what it is.
I appreciate the offer. It's my track wh0re, so the noises I can live with.

When it was my DD, it would drive me nuts.

Turning up the radio and blasting mullet rock was my only solace.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not quite evo... But I grin like an idiot when people ask about my evo then die a little inside when my conscience makes me correct them... It's only a Gsr
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cweav
You know you drive an Evo when your iPhoto holds more pictures of the Evo then pictures of family, friends, etc. combined!
so true!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:57 AM

you drive around with your blinker on like an old person cuz you absolutely cannot here the blinker sound ( on setting 1 as setting 2 is just obnoxious)
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by esquire7
you drive around with your blinker on like an old person cuz you absolutely cannot here the blinker sound ( on setting 1 as setting 2 is just obnoxious)
umm... thats kinda the point...
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Asleep602
umm... thats kinda the point...
Is it?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by esquire7
Is it?
at the risk of stating the obvious - its annoying so you WILL turn it off...
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CE_GSR1.8
Not quite evo... But I grin like an idiot when people ask about my evo then die a little inside when my conscience makes me correct them... It's only a Gsr
maybe I'm not understanding but... your evo isn't quite an evo because it's not an MR?

I know probably half the evo drivers prefer the manual over the twin clutch.

I could have misinterpreted. If so I apologize.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:04 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mct9891
maybe I'm not understanding but... your evo isn't quite an evo because it's not an MR?
He has an AUDM Lancer CE GSR.. turbo'd w/AWD. Very nice imo, but not designated as an Evolution

Quick Reply: You know you drive an EVO when...