Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

You know you drive an EVO when...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Lol most of the ones I see seem to avoid looking at me. I'll wave to them and have had some wave to me.
I agree, always say what's up or wave to them but never even acknowledge me
Old Oct 27, 2014, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know you drive an evo when you've owned it for 3 months and NO ONE ELSE has driven it but you.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 01:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know you drive an Evo when your stock shifter is madddd notchy :P
Old Oct 28, 2014, 04:42 PM
FSD

Originally Posted by TheRedBaron

...when you constantly watch your rear view mirror while braking because you know others can't stop as quickly....
I should have read this thread earlier..... got the car a week ago Saturday, got rear ended Monday two days later.

Octane Blue 161 of 340

Last edited by FSD; Oct 28, 2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

You know you drive an Evo when you deny your friends a test drive despite their begging LOL. I mean I can't just let ANYONE drive it, you got to earn that ****.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know you drive an Evo when...

... people at work don't understand why you would trade your Camaro for "that car" and you answer "because race car" and they still don't get it because...

... people think you just have a regular car with some cosmetic enhancements. (Did you know, the hood vents on Camaros are fake [non-functional]?)

... after you first get it, you're afraid to go to sleep because you might wake up and it would have all been a dream.

... you're still expecting to wake up.

... the first time you take your mom to get groceries (no D/L) with it she freaks out and says that you're going too fast before you've even left first gear.

... you simultaneously hate putting miles on it and can't stop trying to find excuses to drive it.

Originally Posted by SudzRA
For some reason, that isn't the case where I live. I know of at least a half dozen Evos and at least 10 RAs in my town. There's more Xs than STIs here (most likely has something to do with the fact that most ppl here hate the Subie dealer). About 160,000 ppl where I live. Not including my own, I see an X almost every day.
I used to never see any Mitsu's here until a new dealer opened up. They started advertising the Mirage and Outlander like crazy and now I'm seeing them everywhere.

Originally Posted by zenki-s13
Haha. I am suprised by all the comments this stirred up. Maybe I am just hated. But I moved to MI about 6 months ago and get yelled at all the time because of my car.

I never really had that before in vegas. But there most people buy imports and steer away from domestics. They are just happy here in MI with thier "American cars"
I had a GF from the Detroit area (Lincoln Park) and her dad worked for GM. I did get some dirty looks and he told me it was because for those in the area they see it as "buying local", the same way you might look at buying from a local shop/store instead of Amazon or Walmart. Domestics are national, even world really, but when you are where they come from they are a local business, and people in the area will look at them like any other local business because it supports their immediate local economy.

With that said, I used to get crap from people at work when I had a base Lancer ES and when they'd ask me why I didn't get an American car my reply was, "You mean Mexican?" That shut them up pretty fast. I eventually grabbed a Camaro as I was building up my credit. Someone made the comment about me finally getting an American car and I informed them that according to the window sticker, a large portion of the parts were from Mexico, the transmission was Japanese and the car was assembled in Canada. He just gave me a blank stare. I just got the Evo a few days ago and it seemed to confuse everyone. People at work still don't "get it" and probably never will.

Last edited by Ancyker; Oct 29, 2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ancyker

... people at work don't understand why you would trade your Camaro for "that car" and you answer "because race car" and they still don't get it because...

... people think you just have a regular car with some cosmetic enhancements. (Did you know, the hood vents on Camaros are fake [non-functional]?)

... after you first get it, you're afraid to go to sleep because you might wake up and it would have all been a dream.

... you're still expecting to wake up.

... the first time you take your mom to get groceries (no D/L) with it she freaks out and says that you're going too fast before you've even left first gear.

... you simultaneously hate putting miles on it and can't stop trying to find excuses to drive it.

I used to never see any Mitsu's here until a new dealer opened up. They started advertising the Mirage and Outlander like crazy and now I'm seeing them everywhere.

I had a GF from the Detroit area (Lincoln Park) and her dad worked for GM. I did get some dirty looks and he told me it was because for those in the area they see it as "buying local", the same way you might look at buying from a local shop/store instead of Amazon or Walmart. Domestics are national, even world really, but when you are where they come from they are a local business, and people in the area will look at them like any other local business because it supports their immediate local economy.

With that said, I used to get crap from people at work when I had a base Lancer ES and when they'd ask me why I didn't get an American car my reply was, "You mean Mexican?" That shut them up pretty fast. I eventually grabbed a Camaro as I was building up my credit and just got the Evo a few days ago. People at work still don't "get it" and probably never will.
Agreed, I get the stink eye quite a bit as well. From muscle or subie owners
Old Oct 29, 2014, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWDBOOST89
Agreed, I get the stink eye quite a bit as well. From muscle or subie owners
It doesn't help that around here I could have got a house for the sticker price of the car. People see that as crazy, the only other "nice cars" I see in the parking lot are 2 Camaro SS's. I know the one driver and asked him if anyone ever commented on the price of his car relative to the price of a house and he said no. Yet I already got it 3 times and I've only driven the car to work twice.

It could be that the 1LS is only 25k, so they don't realize that his 2SS was nearly the same MSRP as my Evo... but still...
Old Oct 29, 2014, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

This happened yesterday....

Man from landscaping company approaches me as I'm washing my car..

Landscaper- "does that still have the stock motor in it?"

Me- " yeah man, why wouldn't it?" While in my head thinking "who motor swaps an evo"

Landscaper- " oh ok man, yeah most guys say they swapped in an evo motor"

Me- "it's an evo...."

Landscaper- "oh really? I feel like they look like the new model lancers so it's hard to tell"

This mothafvker told me my evo(2005 mind you) looks like a lancer, and not even one from the same gen, he's referring to the X...smh lol
Old Oct 29, 2014, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

yep.

hate starting it up, hitting hard bumps, curbing the wheel... again.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

You know you own an evo when your mechanics start to call you by your first name and becomes your friend due to regular visits.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
This happened yesterday....

Man from landscaping company approaches me as I'm washing my car..

Landscaper- "does that still have the stock motor in it?"

Me- " yeah man, why wouldn't it?" While in my head thinking "who motor swaps an evo"

Landscaper- " oh ok man, yeah most guys say they swapped in an evo motor"

Me- "it's an evo...."

Landscaper- "oh really? I feel like they look like the new model lancers so it's hard to tell"

This mothafvker told me my evo(2005 mind you) looks like a lancer, and not even one from the same gen, he's referring to the X...smh lol
Some people....

The day after I got mine, I'm in a local store and a guy working there that I talk to all the time sees I finally got an evo. He starts talking to me about it and another guy he works with comes up, overhearing that I got a new car, asking what it is. I say "an evo"... he replies with "which one?" Now since you can clearly see it from where we were standing I figured he meant GSR or MR so I said GSR. He says "no I mean is it a lancer evo or a regular evo?"

It takes me like 5 seconds to process this question, and unable to understand it I just reply with "huh?" And he says "is it the smaller lancer evo from fast and the furious or the bigger plain evo"

Best as I can tell he either thought all lancers were evo's or that the older gen evo's were lancer evo's and the newer ones were just straight up evo's.

???

In any case I told him all evo's were lancer evo's. He then replied with "so it's the smaller one -smart *** grin-" and I said "there's no smaller one unless you are talking different gens/years" and he said "whatever man" and walked away.

His co-worker then said "yeah he's pretty stupid"

Last edited by Ancyker; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 09:27 AM

Some people....

The day after I got mine, I'm in a local store and a guy working there that I talk to all the time sees I finally got an evo. He starts talking to me about it and another guy he works with comes up, overhearing that I got a new car, asking what it is. I say "an evo"... he replies with "which one?" Now since you can clearly see it from where we were standing I figured he meant GSR or MR so I said GSR. He says "no I mean is it a lancer evo or a regular evo?"

It takes me like 5 seconds to process this question, and unable to understand it I just reply with "huh?" And he says "is it the smaller lancer evo from fast and the furious or the bigger plain evo"

Best as I can tell he either thought all lancers were evo's or that the older gen evo's were lancer evo's and the newer ones were just straight up evo's.

???

In any case I told him all evo's were lancer evo's. He then replied with "so it's the smaller one -smart *** grin-" and I said "there's no smaller one unless you are talking different gens/years" and he said "whatever man" and walked away.

His co-worker then said "yeah he's pretty stupid"
LOL I wouldn't even know what to say if somebody were to ask me that.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

jealousy is an ugly thing.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
people ask, "isn't that thing AWD? How did you drift that corner?"

reply with, "400hp, that's how."

Quick Reply: You know you drive an EVO when...