Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Question about encounters with Lancers impersonating Evos

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no problem with Lancer owners or Ralliart owners doing cosmetic enhancements or modding, as long as its tastefully done, and they're not trying to play it off as an Evo to anyone.

Another thing that is really annoying is that when their "evo look a like" gets beat by some 85 Mustang, they tell all their buddies they beat an Evo...Oh well, guess they're in for a suprise when they run into a real evo.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

3 things...

1...I've got a lot of evo parts, just all under my hood

2...When I see an evo, I typically think "Cool", but I think that about vettes, 370s, STI's, and quite a few other cars.

3...As far as the wings, most evos don't even want them...I can't understand why any lancer wants them.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by HAHAV8
Another thing that is really annoying is that when their "evo look a like" gets beat by some 85 Mustang, they tell all their buddies they beat an Evo...Oh well, guess they're in for a suprise when they run into a real evo.

Valid point. I dont mind really if they try to give it the evo look, as long as they don't make it look like the crappy civics that have 8 different colors and brag that they have an "evo".

The worst thing thought that i have personally seen was a local used car dealership in my area likes to sell any tuner or "fast car" they can. They had an 03 lancer with a full on body kit, wing, vortex generators, rims, and everything else on the outside, nothing in the engine or suspension. They had written on the sticker that it was an evo. wtf. It didn't have the turbo, mivec, nothing. Just pissed me off when i saw that, because i know the kids that own the place, and they are idiots, obviously.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

theres a silver one in vacouver made to look like an ix the things so ugly
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

As a base Lancer owner, I think it's just a matter of personal mentality more thing than anything else. A person can do tasteful or tasteless mods to whatever car they drive based on the limitations of their imagination and their budget. Obviously things like goals and purpose are gonna sway one's path in terms of how they build up and modify their car.

With that said, budget is going to be a big limitation and obviously not everyone can afford an EVO. My Lancer was a gift for getting Scholarships for College. With that said, I did mods to make the best of what I have and in the eyes of most, it's been pretty tasteful so far.

However, a person can do mods that's sole purpose is to imitate or boast one's image or Ego. That's where people fall into the Ricer Mentality. Regardless of the car, anyone can fall into this mentality. If EVO's cost $3000, you'd better believe that you'd find people throwing Neon lights and ridiculous body kits on them before they thought about doing performance mods. Price is a big reason why you don't see cars like EVOs, STIs, etc being riced out as much as Hondas and such.

With that said, a person can pull up in a tasteless, riced-out Lancer (or any other car), say "I drive this car, I did these mods with this thought in mind, it's not an EVO, I have nothing to prove and I'm happy with it" and it'll be perfectly fine in my book. But on the other hand, a person can pull up in a Lancer with tasteful mods (some performance modifactions, maybe a few aesthetically pleasing mods), say "My car runs 13's (Obviously lying by 5-7 seconds), it's a limited edition JDM Left-hand drive converted super car." and in my eyes, this dudes a complete Ricer.

As for Lancers and EVOs. I think it's just the whole big brother thing. Regardless of me driving a Lancer or not, I'll give a person with a modded EVO a thumbs up if I think the car's been upgraded tastefully. But I won't go out of my way to associate with them because I roll with my own peeps. But for other people, they may try to associate with EVOs because lets face it, little brother wants to be like big brother. So with that said, all you big brother EVOs out there stop picking on your annoying little Lancer brother!!! lol
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont notice and dont think about lancers, posers or anything else with a wing...including hondas, nissans and neons....
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there was a guy one time who spent so much money on body kit trying his best to make a lancer to a lancer evo. they he said his next project was to drop a 4g63 engine in it. I told him that it will not fit cos the car has a small engine bay. he insisted that the engine he will drop will be turbo not like mine's that is a non turbo...

I then asks how much money he already put on the car and it surprised me. I was almost a 1/4 price of the Evo so I told him he could have got one instead of buying all these body kits and stuff
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnightkid
As a base Lancer owner, I think it's just a matter of personal mentality more thing than anything else. A person can do tasteful or tasteless mods to whatever car they drive based on the limitations of their imagination and their budget. Obviously things like goals and purpose are gonna sway one's path in terms of how they build up and modify their car.

With that said, budget is going to be a big limitation and obviously not everyone can afford an EVO. My Lancer was a gift for getting Scholarships for College. With that said, I did mods to make the best of what I have and in the eyes of most, it's been pretty tasteful so far.

However, a person can do mods that's sole purpose is to imitate or boast one's image or Ego. That's where people fall into the Ricer Mentality. Regardless of the car, anyone can fall into this mentality. If EVO's cost $3000, you'd better believe that you'd find people throwing Neon lights and ridiculous body kits on them before they thought about doing performance mods. Price is a big reason why you don't see cars like EVOs, STIs, etc being riced out as much as Hondas and such.

With that said, a person can pull up in a tasteless, riced-out Lancer (or any other car), say "I drive this car, I did these mods with this thought in mind, it's not an EVO, I have nothing to prove and I'm happy with it" and it'll be perfectly fine in my book. But on the other hand, a person can pull up in a Lancer with tasteful mods (some performance modifactions, maybe a few aesthetically pleasing mods), say "My car runs 13's (Obviously lying by 5-7 seconds), it's a limited edition JDM Left-hand drive converted super car." and in my eyes, this dudes a complete Ricer.

As for Lancers and EVOs. I think it's just the whole big brother thing. Regardless of me driving a Lancer or not, I'll give a person with a modded EVO a thumbs up if I think the car's been upgraded tastefully. But I won't go out of my way to associate with them because I roll with my own peeps. But for other people, they may try to associate with EVOs because lets face it, little brother wants to be like big brother. So with that said, all you big brother EVOs out there stop picking on your annoying little Lancer brother!!! lol
I respect this guy
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

I have a Lancer with a evo body kit I don't see the problem with it. I took it to the drag strip a few months ago and it ran a respectable time of 17.9 seconds. I hate that I got a lancer so I tell people it's a evo and they can't believe it's slow.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by sw20>>s14
i personally don't think there is anything wrong with that even though i go by, "you can't fake it til you make it". but i'm understanding, not everyone has the money for an evo. not everyone sees the value in spending said money for more performance in an evo (over the lancer). a lot are into cars for looks and aesthetics, nothing wrong with that, imo.

not everyone goes to the track or drag strip. not everyone is into making power as their hobby. BUT BUT BUT BUT, it's when they try and pass it off as an evo that the line is drawn. there is absolutely no excuse for that. otherwise, different strokes for different folks i say.

+1
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by btownsoccer22
I have a Lancer with a evo body kit I don't see the problem with it. I took it to the drag strip a few months ago and it ran a respectable time of 17.9 seconds. I hate that I got a lancer so I tell people it's a evo and they can't believe it's slow.

Let me get this straight.. They beleive you when you say you have an evo and you're running 17.9"s? I would only assume your running at a track somewhere in ***ville where they are all rednecks and don't have a clue... no offense sir.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by J!n K@z@mA
there was a guy one time who spent so much money on body kit trying his best to make a lancer to a lancer evo. they he said his next project was to drop a 4g63 engine in it. I told him that it will not fit cos the car has a small engine bay. he insisted that the engine he will drop will be turbo not like mine's that is a non turbo...

I then asks how much money he already put on the car and it surprised me. I was almost a 1/4 price of the Evo so I told him he could have got one instead of buying all these body kits and stuff
It was almost 1/4th the price of an evo....so how again could he have bought an evo? he'd need to spend 4 times more money!

My car was a gift, just like the other scholarship guy, for football....and I've spent about 3k on the turbo kit, gauges, etc etc and increased from 95whp to about 160whp and will be turning up the boost pretty soon to 10 or 12psi. I've thought about an evo7 conversion body kit, just for the vented hood and bigger lower grill to pull more air in and out....just hate the idea of trying to look like an evo.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:23 PM

I'm not gonna lie I go right up next to EVOs if I'm on the same street/freeway as them. I feel a sense of community and pride when I'm riding next to one. I don't get why someone would be afraid to ride next to an evo…a car from the same company that is just the superhuman brother of a lancer. We're all brothas!!! I wouldn't mod mine to look like one though. I used to want to but why get something if you're just going to make it look like another car?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by The New Kid
I'm not gonna lie I go right up next to EVOs if I'm on the same street/freeway as them. I feel a sense of community and pride when I'm riding next to one. I don't get why someone would be afraid to ride next to an evo…a car from the same company that is just the superhuman brother of a lancer. We're all brothas!!! I wouldn't mod mine to look like one though. I used to want to but why get something if you're just going to make it look like another car?
Agreed on the we are all brothas, but i think everyone in here agrees on the same thing, no one is against having a lancer or an evo. It is when the lancers try to copy the evo to the fulliest and say that it is an "evo" where we are all confused as to if that person actually has a brain... just my input and interpretation.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

There was a kid living near me who took his Evo winged Lancer and put a turbo on. Totally forgot about this guy when I replied about the other Lancer Ev-no's in my area. Sadly I never got to see if he had it tuned or had any numbers. I hope this guy is still smashing around in this car.

Quick Reply: Question about encounters with Lancers impersonating Evos