Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

HID's, How To, and Where?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID's, How To, and Where?

Hey guys, im looking to get a pair of hid's. My car is an octane blue lancer gts, 2009.

Ive been reading a lot and i want like, a 6000k blueish whitish color. People talk about xenondepot.com and like them. I was wondering if u guys prefer any other sites? One of my friends said ddmtuning.com, and My other friend said a good set costs hundreds of dollars but im seeing sets for 50-150 USD.

For the installing part, im willing to try, but its something ive never done before and im scared to do so. I know theres many tutorials online nd whatnot but im still nourvos.

But if anyone is willing to make some extra cash i would be willing to pay them for the installation of the hid's. I live right outside of chicago il. By woodfield mall (northwest suburbs)
Old Nov 2, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Il help you its simple just plug & play, im right near woodfield mall just let me know! I was a lil scared I might break something lol
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Evoixjohn
Il help you its simple just plug & play, im right near woodfield mall just let me know! I was a lil scared I might break something lol
Do you have any pictures of ur car? I might have seen you around lol. Where did you get your hid's?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

I dont really drive it around,i just admire it LoL
Attached Thumbnails HID's, How To, and Where?-stock-4300k-3000k-fogs.jpg  
Old Nov 3, 2011, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Go to www.xenonsupply.com, They have some great products, I bought mine from there back in March and havent had any issues. The also have the anti flicker capacitor that comes with a full kit. Price plus shipping was like $130 I think. Install was easy as well, took about 30 minutes.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by mshilto89
Go to www.xenonsupply.com, They have some great products, I bought mine from there back in March and havent had any issues. The also have the anti flicker capacitor that comes with a full kit. Price plus shipping was like $130 I think. Install was easy as well, took about 30 minutes.
Price is worth it, i want looks more than anything. and i am worried about my daytime running lights, and my bright lights, wil those still be the stock yellowish color? Or will they also be the same color of my hid's?

Thank you for replying
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Keedo
Price is worth it, i want looks more than anything. and i am worried about my daytime running lights, and my bright lights, wil those still be the stock yellowish color? Or will they also be the same color of my hid's?

Thank you for replying
Your high beam and low beams are 2 seperate bulbs. When you buy the kit from xenonsupply it comes with just the low beams (as with most packages), you have to buy the high beams and fog lights seperatley.

As far as your DRL's, the HID's will take the place of the low beams.

So yes, your high beams remain the factory yellowish color as well as your fogs. I didn't bother buying the high beams yet because I live in the city and rarely use them, same with the fogs. And honestly I have noticed that my low beam HID's are just as bright as my high beam stock lights.

Also, I would stick with 6k for lights, anything higher than that gives you blue, purple, or pink looking lights which is great if you want to be a ricer
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Also something else to consider is the legality of lights. I've noticed anything over 6k seems to instantly turn your car into a cop magnet while at the same time turning cops into di**'s.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 09:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also something else to consider is the legality of lights. I've noticed anything over 6k seems to instantly turn your car into a cop magnet while at the same time turning cops into di**'s.
That's because most people do terrible jobs on their HID conversions, and blind everyone else on the road. You can't just stick an HID bulb in a halogen housing and call it a day... Either do a full retro-fit or don't bother.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't have to do that but I was worried about it. I made sure they didn't aim to high or to far to the left. My fiance and I went out to a back road near where I live and did a drive by in ours cars just to check. My HID's actually seems to aim a bit low so there isn't any light dissapation into oncoming traffic.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
That's because most people do terrible jobs on their HID conversions, and blind everyone else on the road. You can't just stick an HID bulb in a halogen housing and call it a day... Either do a full retro-fit or don't bother.
Would my local dealer do a full retrofit? Or where would i get one done? And im looking online to see how much a retro-fit costs.

I live outside of chicago, IL btw.

Also, if i were to get a pair from xenonsupply.com, the premim is costing 180 nd then with the slim ballasts (or w.e its called) thats an extra 20 dollars. And then some extra stuff cossting more. I was looking to spend around 230 dollars before shipping. Is that right?

Last edited by Keedo; Nov 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:08 PM

thanxxx
Old Nov 6, 2011, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Damn 230 ?! I paid 60$ installed a local shop on my last car , 8ks, never lost any brightness and started right up after a year and a half.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't have to do that but I was worried about it. I made sure they didn't aim to high or to far to the left. My fiance and I went out to a back road near where I live and did a drive by in ours cars just to check. My HID's actually seems to aim a bit low so there isn't any light dissapation into oncoming traffic.
You're in the minority lol. I still prefer a full retro-fit, but at least you made sure you're not being a nuisance. How's the cut-off and what's the pattern look like?

Originally Posted by Keedo
Would my local dealer do a full retrofit? Or where would i get one done? And im looking online to see how much a retro-fit costs.

I live outside of chicago, IL btw.

Also, if i were to get a pair from xenonsupply.com, the premim is costing 180 nd then with the slim ballasts (or w.e its called) thats an extra 20 dollars. And then some extra stuff cossting more. I was looking to spend around 230 dollars before shipping. Is that right?
A dealer won't do a retrofit, it's something a custom shop can do though. I've got no idea on pricing from Xenon Supply, but we've got kits starting at $150.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...D+Kit&x=9&y=15
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

nice

Quick Reply: HID's, How To, and Where?