Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Cam question?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cam question?

so i am about ready to send my HEAD out to be done, i wanna go with BC 272/280 bump sticks and don't know if or what kind of valve springs i should get. any recommendations would be welcome for my complete build i am shooting for 400+ HP. what should expect from idling problems? its my DD so i need reliability and i encounter occasional traffic ? are these cams too aggressive? need some help from people who have done this, or expirences that people have had...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
I know this isn't the info your going for but you could have done that on stock cams, stock head unported with a little e84 and a good tune, along with proper mods. As for springs though I would go Supertech singles, if you have to go cheap route or Kiggly beehives. I would like to see you if you could swing it go with the bee hives. They are a great spring and prob the only spring you will ever need. Good luck with your goal keep us updated as you progress.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion best head combination is for you is going to FP4R or S2 cams, along with supertech dual valve springs and retainers. Great drivability, make great powerband, and will expand your powerband everywhere. just make sure you get a good tune and you will be happy.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Buy good cams, that's the best place to start. As mentioned above, FP4R's are a solid choice.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
I know this isn't the info your going for but you could have done that on stock cams, stock head unported with a little e84 and a good tune, along with proper mods. As for springs though I would go Supertech singles, if you have to go cheap route or Kiggly beehives. I would like to see you if you could swing it go with the bee hives. They are a great spring and prob the only spring you will ever need. Good luck with your goal keep us updated as you progress.
i have been a bit curious about going E85 but i am military and get reassigned every 4 years and don't want to end up some where they don't have it and have to retune. also what is a reasonable price to have your heads done i got quoted 400+ i supply parts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:22 PM

FP4R's or Kelford 272's are the best route for that goal. I really wouldn't do it without upgrading the springs, as cursedsm said. Although people do it, and get great results, what they sometimes neglect to mention is how long their setup lasts. For stock valve springs, Mitsu expects a 10% loss in strength, and that's just after engine break-in. Most Evo valve springs end up testing way out of spec after the first timing belt service is due. So with that said, if your engine is over 100k miles, you have a higher chance of valve float at that hp level.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RBehne2
FP4R's or Kelford 272's are the best route for that goal. I really wouldn't do it without upgrading the springs, as cursedsm said. Although people do it, and get great results, what they sometimes neglect to mention is how long their setup lasts. For stock valve springs, Mitsu expects a 10% loss in strength, and that's just after engine break-in. Most Evo valve springs end up testing way out of spec after the first timing belt service is due. So with that said, if your engine is over 100k miles, you have a higher chance of valve float at that hp level.
thank you i'll consider your postion carefully!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

dont forget a retune/tune!!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
If your worried about being relocated and not having e85 then I would just go reg 93. When things are all said and done and your back home then I would worry about getting an e85 tune.