Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

trying to decide on what to buy...sti or evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
It's the usual modded Evo, albeit with reasonable mileage. HKS intake - terrible filtration, good numbers - may be missing the mesh in front of the FMIC and the IC may show some damage, as well. Hard to tell. Not-stock suspension, el-cheapo shift knob, non-stock fitting HU, red lugs on powder coated stockers - kid material. Take any Evo you consider buying to an Evo-specific shop and have it checked out. Personally, I would not buy a used Evolution without knowing its history. Good luck.
What about this...

http://cosmo-motors.ebizautos.mobi/d...d-7827538.html

I like the flat black of this one...but I don't like the interior too much

http://cosmo-motors.ebizautos.mobi/d...d-7104892.html
Old Dec 1, 2011, 09:54 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by motodoc
It's like the first car; the usual modded Evo. Can't say much aside from pointing out the mods. If you're serious about it, have the Evo checked out. The best we can do is identify a distinct possibility of a good or a bad car, like the one below. This could be a great car, or not, depending on how it was driven and maintained, how the mods were installed and by whom, how the car was tuned and by whom, etc.

I like the flat black of this one...but I don't like the interior too much

http://cosmo-motors.ebizautos.mobi/d...d-7104892.html
...no way.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 09:58 AM

Why "no way" to the flat black one?

Also, are these all not overpriced? 23k for a 2006?! That's crazy IMO.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:09 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Why "no way" to the flat black one?
You mean that a nine year old modded Evo with +70K on the clock, busted up FMIC (could be Ebay) and a flat black paint that's impossible to take care of and would cost ~$4-6K to fix doesn't send up a red flag?

Also, are these all not overpriced? 23k for a 2006?! That's crazy IMO.
That's what Evos cost with that kind of mileage. Yes, they're expensive. A better example would cost more and there's no sign of the prices dropping, at least not on good cars. As the number of IXs isn't exactly on the rise, the odds of prices falling anytime soon are fairly slim. Keep in mind that any money you save on the purchase price will likely come out of your pocket later on, followed by even more of the same. It's false economy. If you want an Evo, buy the very best one you can. It's the Porsche rule taken to an extreme. Or, buy a new X, or any of the other great cars around.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
You mean that a nine year old modded Evo with +70K on the clock, busted up FMIC (could be Ebay) and a flat black paint that's impossible to take care of and would cost ~$4-6K to fix doesn't send up a red flag?

That's what Evos cost with that kind of mileage. Yes, they're expensive. A better example would cost more and there's no sign of the prices dropping, at least not on good cars. As the number of IXs isn't exactly on the rise, the odds of prices falling anytime soon are fairly slim. Keep in mind that any money you save on the purchase price will likely come out of your pocket later on, followed by even more of the same. It's false economy. If you want an Evo, buy the very best one you can. It's the Porsche rule taken to an extreme. Or, buy a new X, or any of the other great cars around.

I just like the flat black...

Anywho, that makes total sense about buying the best one possible. Help me out tho, other than minor style differences, what're the differences between the ix and viii?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:33 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 98autogstspyder
differences between model years:
'03 and '04 models- 271hp 273tq
intercooler sprayer
rs model available in '04 (front lsd, aluminum roof, no abs, no power features)

'05 models - 276hp 286tq
active center differential (acd) on all models
front lsd on all models
intercooler sprayer no longer available
10.5 hotside on turbocharger
mr model now available (aluminum roof, bilstein shocks, 17.74lb bbs charcoal grey multispoke rims, 6spd trans, vortex generators)
rs still available
sun, sound, leather (ssl) model of base viii available (subwoofer, power sunroof, leather seats, hids)
no hids on base viii

'06 models - 286hp 289tq
acd still available
mivec has been added (variable valve timing)
lighter valve cover
added larger compressor housing to same 16g turbo from 05
revised coolant passages in the head allowing for more boost/timing on pump gas
last model year to use the 4g63 engine
se models available as late year 06s (known as evo 9.5s)
hollow camshafts
...hope this helps.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Its very tough buying a good evo. You basically need to own one first to know why its so important and what to look for. Stop worrying about getting a deal and go for the cleanest, best kept evo you can go for. Almost every USDM evo has been modded to some extent. And the vast majority of owners mod them badly. Your priorities should be:

1. WELL MAINTAINED!!
2. As stock as possible
3. your choice of colour, trim, year, etc.

Believe me, if you buy the wrong evo you might end up doubling the asking price trying to restore it. Especially if it wasn't maintained properly.

A car like this is what I'd look for if I was evo shopping again: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...005-mr-gg.html

I've met Greg personally earlier this year. He's a perfectionist and takes care of his car in every way. He also modded it lightly and very professionally, and hasn't really abused it. Some luck SOB now has his car (never thought he'd sell it actually), so sucks for you . But you should try and find another thats equally clean.

EDIT: The later year evos seem to be more clean that the '03s. A lot of '03s for sale are in terrible condition.

Last edited by deeman101; Dec 1, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

buy an evo.

/thread
Old Dec 2, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

evo for power
sti for sound
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:09 PM

so...need some help guys/girls...

going to look at these two and an '06 sti this week...

http://www.cosmomotorsonline.com/det...d-7960651.html

but here are the specs on it....

2006 SILVER MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION.. 5 SPEED.. TURBO.. BOOST GAUGE.. LEATHER-SUEDE.. ALPINE CD PLAYER WITH CUSTOM AUDIO.. 1 OWNER.. FULLY SERVICED.. CLEAN CAR AND CARFAX!!! (MODS LIST) ..TTP CUSTOM TUNE ..TTP METHANOL INJECTION ..TTP BUILT 2.0l ENGINE ..INJEN UPPER AND IC PIPES ..ETS INTAKE KIT ..AMSOIL AIR FILTER ..PRECISION BB5857 ..ETS EQUAL LENGTH TURBO KIT ..ETS LOWER INTERCOOLER PIPE ..ETS 3" DOWNPIPE ..MEGAN RACING CATBACK EXHAUST ..MEGAN RACING TEST PIPE ..TTP-ACT CLUTCH ..ACT STREET FLYWHEEL ..DRiVEN INNOVATION INTAKE MANIFOLD ..MAGNUS INTAKE GASKET ..BOOMBA 75MM THROTTLE BODY ..TTP ETHAMAX 1250cc INJECTORS ..AMS BALANCE SHAFT ELIMINATOR ..CP PISTONS ..KELFORD 272 CAMS ..SUPERTECH VALVE SPRINGS ..MANLEY TURBO TUFF RODS ..ACL RACE BEARINGS ..JAM VALVE LIFTERS ..EAGLE CRANKSHAFT ..TIAL 38mm WASTEGATE ..ZEITRONIX AFR BOOST EGT GAUGE ..PROSPORT GAUGES WT OP OT (BODY) ..APR FRONT BUMPER ..JDM REAR BUMPER ..JDM HEADLIGHTS ..MR VORTEX GENERATOR (SYSTEM) ..ALPINE CDA-9887 ..ALPINE PDX 4.100 amp ..ALPINE PDX 1.1000 amp ..ALPINE SPX 13pro x2 ..ALPINE SWX 1043d x2 ..OBCON COMPETITION SEALED BOX ..STINGER HPM3 INTERCONNECTS ..STINGER HYBRID CAPACITOR ..MONSTER CABLE 402 speaker wire ..MONSTER CABLE 402 subwoofer wire ..JL AUDIO 0-1 GAUGE amp wiring kit ..ALPINE IPOD CABLE ..PIONNER IPOD CABLE ..SCORTSCH ADAPTER PLATES x2 (WHEELS & TIRES) ..18'X9.5 +20 Rota T2R HYPERBLACK ..245-40-18 BF GOODRICH G-FORCE SUPERSPORT AS (500 MILES ON THEM)

I just wanted to ask should i look at a car that has been modded this much? also, do any of these specific mods suggest any problems the car couldve had or possibly does have? what should i look out for (with this specific model/car)?

Also looking at an '06 evo MR....

http://www.cosmomotorsonline.com/det...d-7827538.html

specs:
2006 EVO MR... 6SPD.. WORKS WHEELS,INJEN INTAKE AND INTERCOOLER PIPING.. 3" TURBO BACK EXHAUST WITH HIGH FLOW CAT... AEM A/R METER.. BOOST GAUGE.. VERY TASTEFULLY INSTALLLED.. ADULT OWNED.. NEVER WRECKED OR SMOKED IN.. ALL ORIGINAL PAINT.. NO DINGS OR DENTS.. BRAND NEW TIRES.. RUNS AND DRIVES PERFEFCT. NEEDS NOTHING.. A STEAL.. SUPER LOW MILES!!!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:18 PM

or....a '95 skyline r32 gtr nismo n1...(needs a little tlc in the interior, rering and possibly a little odds and ends...but it IS a true gtr nismo)...personally, i dont think it is worth trading a brand new 2010 truck for it, but ive always wanted a r32 or r33 gtr.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

The calipers on the modded one show that its been tracked, a lot. Especially if thats happening with 37k on it. I'd personally call TTP engineering and ask them about the car's history and how it was taken care of. It seems they are the ones that built it and tuned it. Don't be surprised if it was abused. It does look properly modded though...

I'd be careful with the MR. It looks like it may have been put back to stock (bumper bolt covers missing, trunk mat looks messy, etc.). And its an MR so that 6spd is a liability. Look over it carefully. Look for missing bolts, things that don't fit right, weird sounds on the test drive, etc. Oh yea check the calipers again.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by deeman101
The calipers on the modded one show that its been tracked, a lot. Especially if thats happening with 37k on it. I'd personally call TTP engineering and ask them about the car's history and how it was taken care of. It seems they are the ones that built it and tuned it. Don't be surprised if it was abused. It does look properly modded though...

I'd be careful with the MR. It looks like it may have been put back to stock (bumper bolt covers missing, trunk mat looks messy, etc.). And its an MR so that 6spd is a liability. Look over it carefully. Look for missing bolts, things that don't fit right, weird sounds on the test drive, etc. Oh yea check the calipers again.
so, specifically with the '06 evo, should i stay away from the 6 speed? I thought they were better than the 5 speeds?

Also, I noticed some models that i looked at and really liked had the faded paint on the calipers (which made me think about it being tracked)....too bad.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

so, specifically with the '06 evo, should i stay away from the 6 speed? I thought they were better than the 5 speeds?

Also, I noticed some models that i looked at and really liked had the faded paint on the calipers (which made me think about it being tracked)....too bad.

LOL this isn't the subie world. The 6spds are a lot weaker. Even built, which costs a crap ton and only Sheptrans does it btw.

Yea I use faded calipers as a hallmark. You can't fade them with regular stop-and-go. You need to beat on the brakes (and consequently the rest of the car). The worse the fade the more it was beat on. Also keep in mind the stock clutch gives out around 50k with moderate use. So check for a slipping clutch.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by deeman101
Also keep in mind the stock clutch gives out around 50k with moderate use. So check for a slipping clutch.
DEF good to know.

Quick Reply: trying to decide on what to buy...sti or evo?