Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

trying to decide on what to buy...sti or evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trying to decide on what to buy...sti or evo?

I am new to the forum and a preschooler when it comes to evolutions, so forgive me if I sound uneducated (when it comes to evo's) or misleading in any of my comments. I have spent most of my time around motorcycles, dirt bikes and racing quads.

So, I am very new to mitsubishi evolutions, but have always loved the older ones in jackie chan films. Anywho, I currently drive a '10 chevrolet silverado z71 crewcab (4x4, lifted 6", black with black wheels, blah blah) and I have decided that I want to get a car; specifically an awd performance car. I have always loved the Subaru Sti, and I want to keep my options open, so I am also looking at evolutions.

Anyway, without being biased towards either one, and knowing some of the faults/complications that sti's have already, which evo's should I consider? I have to be honest and admit that I currently am leaning more towards an Sti ('04+, but specifically a low mileage '06, due to many reasons, some personal, some performance based), but I think it's because I do not know much about the evolution. I cant help but realize that the evolutions are selling cheaper than the sti's and here I thought they were almost the same car. I am attracted to performance but also reliability and ease in power gain (basically, a reliable driver that I can possibly tune, and get at least 350awhp, if I want).

I need help as far as which evo's to look at, which years to stay away from, which models to look at and what mods are most affective to that particular engine (overall hp gain vs the cost)?

I really like the evo viii and x but I have to be honest and admit I have no clue about either or. I realize there are "sticky" threads, but I would rather get personal reasons backed up with factual information.

Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just buy a STi, no one on here likes evos and are really biased towards STi's...
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:48 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
I can help, If you want a slow car that is very expensive to upgrade being you have to buy 2 of everything buy an STI, if you want a car that will be ***** to the wall in performance and give you great power and pretty easy on the wallet get an evo.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:11 PM

You also gotta think about what you want the car to perform better overall in, handling and cornering, or going fast. What're your plans? I know you mentioned mild power increase, but are you wanting to go do some time trial like events/track days? Or more into the drag strip? Me personally, and i'm new as well to both cars, have hear the evo handles a bit better, and is easier/more fun to tune, so i'm looking more into an EVO when i have the money.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

obv the evo. lol but it is cheaper to build, looks better, and not everyone you know has an evo. in ct alot of people have subies .

as far as years if you like rawness you can look at 03-06. 03-05 are evo 8s and do not have mivec .

evo x's if you want less power and more lux.

we also have different packages RS,GSR,MR SE. take a look at them a little more and you will fall in love.

you will also enjoy this forum and be addicted
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure the "sticky threads" you are talking about are factual information backed up my personal experience...

What I'm deciphering is that your to lazy to read.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:37 PM

All of your comments are appreciated but, no offense, I still havent gotten a solid answer as to why I should buy an evo vs an sti?

The car will mainly be used as a daily driver, but I want a driver that has power (or capable power via boost controller, ecu map or minimal mods), reliability, aesthetics, tight in the turns and something thatll handle on rails. Also, depreciation is a huge factor when comparing the two. Seems like Sti's hold their value a whole lot longer than evo's.

I totally know that I can buy one or the other and spend all kinds of money to make either one perfect, but out of the box, which is a "better" car? I am sure there are ups and downs to both.

I have heard that the power is "sluggish" on the evo and they are extremely harsh on gas, but then again, sti's '07+ have been known to have ringland issues out the ying yang and the factory tune is garbage. I also think that the stock evo interior is a bit "cheap" looking compared to the sti's interior. Furthermore, when looking at the "sticky" threads, it seems like there a lot of recalls on the evo's.

Please forgive me if I have made anyone upset or frustrated or even made any vague assumptions related to either car; I am just trying to get an honest comparison of both cars seeing that I am extremely interested in making the right decision in which car I should opt for. This car will probably never see the track, but who knows, maybe it will.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:43 PM
EvoM Guru

I thought I gave a pretty solid answer.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by btownsoccer22
I'm pretty sure the "sticky threads" you are talking about are factual information backed up my personal experience...

Maybe he is like me and prefers picture books instead of alot of confuseing words.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

IN my experience, I would say that if you want to focus a bit more on performance, the Evo is the way to go. The Evo responds better to mods, makes power easier and generally seems more reliable once modded. The Evo also handles better.

If you are looking for a nice, comfortable daily driver, I say go with the STI. They respond decently to mods, and the 2.5 l motor makes it a bit easier to just cruise around town.

Overall, I'd say go Evo if you are looking for something more performance oriented, and the STI more for a decently quick daily driver.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by btownsoccer22

lazy, yes. uneducated, no.

I am never "too" lazy.

also, are you saying that the factual information has helped back up your personal experience? Or they are backed up "by" personal experience?

I guess I am confused. Sorry.

I really like the look of the evo IV, V and VI, but being a daily driver, should I opt for a car that old (and can I even find a pre evo8)? It just seems like it is going to be nearly impossible to find one, in good condition with low miles because it is 10+ years old (and supposedly not even introduced in the US, correct?). It seems like all of the evo's stayed around the 276hp range so upon comparing that to an Sti, they are about the same. Also, it seems like when comparing them side by side, the subaru wins as far as factory "goodies" is concerned, with the bbs wheels and peppy interior; to name a few.

The fact of the matter is, I need to be sold on why I should buy an evo and NOT an sti. Something other than some juvenile excuse like it "looks better" or "they are rarer" or "youre stupid if you do not buy an evo" (because in reality, I believe both cars are rare...comparing an Sti and an evo, not a wrx and an evo). I believe both cars look fantastic and I also believe both cars a extremely well performers for what they cost and what they do. I am coming from an area where it isnt uncommon to see a lamborghini, ferrari or porsche at a stoplight; and my goal is to smoke that 100k+ car with either the sti or the evo....help me make that goal a possibility...I know for a fact it isnt impossible.

Last edited by motodoc; Nov 24, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:04 PM
EvoM Guru

If your looking to smoke a 100k car then buy the evo. Hands down much better platform to be messing around in. And to get to that point your better save up some extra cash being it will cost you a pretty penny to get that evo to that point. It will also cost you twice as much if you were to buy an STI being you have to buy 2 of everything.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

get a corvette or a mustang if you want to beat 100k cars at a stoplight...in the end it won't matter since no one will care that you beat a 100k car at a stoplight.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by RoMeIX
IN my experience, I would say that if you want to focus a bit more on performance, the Evo is the way to go. The Evo responds better to mods, makes power easier and generally seems more reliable once modded. The Evo also handles better.

If you are looking for a nice, comfortable daily driver, I say go with the STI. They respond decently to mods, and the 2.5 l motor makes it a bit easier to just cruise around town.

Overall, I'd say go Evo if you are looking for something more performance oriented, and the STI more for a decently quick daily driver.
Thank you. That's the basis of what I need to know. I have heard by many people that the 2.5 is a very very picky motor and needs to be tuned every single time you mess with it. I want something I can tune, but isnt going to be a headache. Also, my "daily commute" is only 10-15min; sometimes shorter...and not only that, I am only a cpl hours from the NC mountains

I was going to try and test drive an evo x this weekend along with an '05, '06 and '11 sti. I found a couple evo xiii's in my area, but not so sure on the price....any thoughts on this place?

http://godspeedmotors.com/web/1273/inventory?make_id=48

I was looking at the white gsr, but supposedly it sold. I think they wanted around 21k for it. Too much?

Quick Reply: trying to decide on what to buy...sti or evo?