Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Long-time Lurker, new Evo Owner: GG IX SE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long-time Lurker, new Evo Owner: GG IX SE

I have been looking for a clean, 1-owner, never-modified, well maintained 2006 Evo IX SE for over a year now. I loved the SE package when it came out and I have always wanted a graphite grey Evo, the two together is perfect IMHO.

Last year I found an Evo that fit the bill, but was a little more than I wanted to spend. I decided to build the Talon I always wanted first and set off on that build full speed with the intent of getting the Evo once the Talon was "done".

I'm not new to the 4G63, as I have been building a '97 Eagle Talon TSi AWD over the past couple years and finally got it where I wanted. I build thread is here:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyli...2-4-build.html

Short list for the Talon is ~10.0:1 CR 4G64, BWS256, GSC-S2s, 444awhp @ 25psi through the automatic transmission with a 4500rpm stall converter.

Once the Talon was essentially finished I started looking again. I've been scanning Craigslist/EvoM for the last year looking for the right one but wasn't really serious about buying until the Talon stopped breaking.

I found this car listed at a dealer on cars.com a few weeks ago and made some phone calls and it fit most of what I was looking for. After scheduling an inspection I went down to check it out. Finding one that has been unmodified has been hard. I was looking for something with 30,000-40,000 miles but the longer I wait the more miles they get and more worn out they become

It has 69,000 miles and is just like it was the day the first owner took delivery, even the stock embroidered floor mats are clean. The interior is a 9.5/10 and the body only has some minor light scratches here and there with almost no rock chips and not a single door ding.

It shifts perfect and runs strong, but is due for some maintenance. Timing belt, water pump, etc. are getting done shortly and there is a small tear in the inboard drivers side axle boot. It will get a full detail and polish/wax and then driven as much as possible.

I drove down to Sacramento to look at it Thursday, picked it up Friday, drove to Tahoe to visit some friends for the weekend and drove it back to Washington Sunday.

I hasn't really sunk in yet but it is a blast to drive and has more room than any car I've owned (I'm 6'6"). After driving for 12 hours today I have no aches or pains. I had to push the vette into the corner to fit them all in the garage. It's a tight squeeze, but there is no way any of them are staying outside!

The Talon is the "fast" car and project and the Evo is staying stock. I just need to get some factory service manuals and begin the preventative maintenance.

Here are a few photos from the trip. It is pretty dirty but not bad. Thankfully the weather was good and all the passes were dry. I can finally stop lurking on EvoM; I have a lot to learn.

I haven't started making comparisons to the Talon yet but they both seem equally enjoyable in their own rights. The Talon actually handles very similar with the DG-esque Koni setup, but is much quicker and more sleek. The Talon certainly feels heavier. Being able to carry 4 people in the Evo is a definite strength.

Old Dec 5, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on the car
Old Dec 6, 2011, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice find, always loved the GG, keeping it stock eh.....,we'll see about that.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase... we've got the same car!

If you're good with your hands, I'd recommend peeling off the pinstripes, unless you like them.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 06:40 PM

Thanks guys! The pinstripes will come off as soon as I get my Porter Cable orbital buffer. I don't want to look at a ghost-stripe when they first come off.

I am going to clean/clay/polish/wax it once the stripes come off. They are kind of growing on me but I get too much sh** for having them! lol
Old Dec 6, 2011, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice find. She's a beauty
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:19 PM

Beautiful find! I wish mine were free of rock chips. That's my only gripe. New paint for me :P Enjoy that beauty and remember, do what makes you happy. Lol
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

C-C-C-C-Clean!! Congrats and welcome....by the way did I forget to mention...CCCCCLEAN
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sweet...Congrats dude!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats dude. Good find, very clean. I've been looking for a clean and stock IX for a year until i couldn't wait any longer. Lol
Old Dec 7, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Such a beautiful car! I'm a bit envious.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
Such a beautiful car! I'm a bit envious.
You know how many people are probably envious of your WW RS? I'm not, but just saying......probably quite a few :P
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:16 AM

Thanks guys.

The 60k service is being done on Monday. There is a seaping leak from the oil pan so I will be pulling the pan this weekend to re-seal it. The guys at English Racing have always been very generous over the course of my Talon build so I'm having them do the timing belt and other 60k service. It will be weird having someone work on my car as I like to work on my own cars, but I trust they will do a good job.

I ordered a paint chip kit from paintscratch.com to fix some rock chips and a couple light scratches. There is also some curb rash on the back passenger-side wheel. I am currently looking for a place to do the repair. I might try to find a good spare set or at least a couple in the classifieds to keep as spares.

I also ordered all the emblems to keep as spares and a couple interior plastic pieces that had light scratches (door pulls). I plan to start piecing together a full set of trim/seals (for all the cars i've worked on these seem to be the hardest parts to get the farther you get from the production year). It will be driven a fair bit but I plan to maintain it in as factory-fresh condition as I can.

Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats and good luck! Beautiful Car!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats. I too love the look of the SE. Thats why one of the first things I did was go out and buy the SE lip.