Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Engine management options

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Engine management options

I know this topic has been beat to death here. I did a search and saw a few people running different set ups. problem is that leaves me with many choices and questions as to the pros v cons of each, for every thing from tuning options & data logging to price.
right now my friends are pushing me towards DSM link. http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/prodcompare?s=comparison . I think that every one knows what AEM EMS is capable of but the price puts it at a significant purchase for me. what i want is some first hand testimonials from what people have and what results (pros v cons) they have experienced.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:48 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's probably safe to say that 98% of the cars here run on the stock ECU. DSMlink doesn't even figure into the equation. You may want to start by going to the tuning forum and reading the stickies. Good luck.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
right and thank you but i already searched that forum with no results people don't really talk about how well it works for them or compares anything, and results aren't clearly discussed.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USCGSAM
I know this topic has been beat to death here. I did a search and saw a few people running different set ups. problem is that leaves me with many choices and questions as to the pros v cons of each, for every thing from tuning options & data logging to price.
right now my friends are pushing me towards DSM link. http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/prodcompare?s=comparison . I think that every one knows what AEM EMS is capable of but the price puts it at a significant purchase for me. what i want is some first hand testimonials from what people have and what results (pros v cons) they have experienced.
The EVO is not a DSM. I don't even think DSMlink is compatible with Evo. The factory ECU is capable of anything and everything you could do with an aftermarket ecu except for window switches, and nitrous control. End of story.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:53 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by USCGSAM
right and thank you but i already searched that forum with no results people don't really talk about how well it works for them or compares anything, and results aren't clearly discussed.
Dude, there's a whole frucking board dedicated to discussing this. No more than 15 seconds ago I punched "stock ECU" into Advanced Search and came up with +250 threads on the tuning forum, alone. Searching for EMS yielded another +250 threads. You have to read to get answers. I mean, you have to actually do it.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ummm, how about a stock ecu??????????????????
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gkania
The EVO is not a DSM. I don't even think DSMlink is compatible with Evo. The factory ECU is capable of anything and everything you could do with an aftermarket ecu except for window switches, and nitrous control. End of story.
You can run dsmlink on an evo 8. I know a few doing it. They only did it cause they were so familiar with link already. I have read that link wont work on a 9 and up, cause mivec.

To be honest, you prolly wont find a whole lot on engine management systems, cause 90% of everyone here runs stock ecu. Its perfectly fine for almost anyones needs with an evo. No reason to spend the 1k on aem etc, imo.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Stock ECU.

/thread