Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Moving over to the dark side. STi to EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2011, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only get 200 miles to a tank on my evo with non spirited driving
Old Dec 25, 2011, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HimynameisWillzyx
I only get 200 miles to a tank on my evo with non spirited driving
Same here. So it should be no different with the EVO then.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:36 AM

That sucks you had so many problems with your sti. I love my sti, but i still want to get an evo. I have been trying to buy an evo for awhile now but just haven't found the right one just yet for me.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had 2 07 STIs....... I consider the evo to be a better car hands down. The STI was fine but compared to the evo it didn't handle as well, wasn't as powerful stock, didn't mod as well, had more issues and I like the interior in my evo better anyway. I'm happy with the switch.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by akeric
I've had 2 07 STIs....... I consider the evo to be a better car hands down. The STI was fine but compared to the evo it didn't handle as well, wasn't as powerful stock, didn't mod as well, had more issues and I like the interior in my evo better anyway. I'm happy with the switch.
Now that's what I want to hear!!

I did get the chance to take one home for the weekend and drive it around for a bit. It was almost like night and day with the way the car handled. My STi had BC BR coilovers and it was stiff and rode like crap even at the softest setting.

The evo I drove had BC BR coilovers as well and it was really soft as supposed to the STi ones. Weird how two different cars and yet the same level of coilovers where different. I wonder if they revalved the ones for the EVOs and softer spring rates. I don't know but it was a noticable difference.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Might I add that doing a timing belt, waterpump, cam/crank seal, tensioner was cheaper and looks easier to do.

The STi had 4 tensioners and the belt was more than twice the length of the evo. It looked more complicated to do then the EVO.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome! You definitely sound like a person who would do a IX right. Any details on the one that you have lined up?

Gigantor... lol I honestly pictured this while reading that:
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:24 AM

Hey man im new on here as well. I just got a IX. I had an 06 STi about a year ago. Only having my Evo for a week, i can't really tell you how the reliability is from the two, but just the one time i have taken it on some curvey mountain roads to take some pics was great. The steering response is awesome, the car really communicates well. I was worried that i would miss cruise control and some of that other crap, but living in the bay area how often do you really get to use it!! lol. So from one ex STi owner Evo Noob to another, i say go for it! So far i really like the car. only negative i can see comparing the two is the Evo makes some "different" noises, but i knew i wasn't buying a Cadillac!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bboyalan
Welcome! You definitely sound like a person who would do a IX right. Any details on the one that you have lined up?

Gigantor... lol I honestly pictured this while reading that:
Unfortunately,I have three that I'm looking at that are in westcoast. The ones over here in the southeast are crap. Most are from the north and have rust on the underside of them.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AutoXMRIX
Now that's what I want to hear!!

I did get the chance to take one home for the weekend and drive it around for a bit. It was almost like night and day with the way the car handled. My STi had BC BR coilovers and it was stiff and rode like crap even at the softest setting.

The evo I drove had BC BR coilovers as well and it was really soft as supposed to the STi ones. Weird how two different cars and yet the same level of coilovers where different. I wonder if they revalved the ones for the EVOs and softer spring rates. I don't know but it was a noticable difference.
I still owned my black 07 STI, it had a BW256 rotated turbo setup, custom dp, turbo back exhaust, injectors, some other small things. I went down (I like in Alaska) to Washington state to visit my grandfather who was sick at the time (prostate cancer, but he beat it), since I was going to be down there I figured "What the hell" I'll look at an evo or two.

Most of the Evos up here are either owned by people who don't want to get rid of them (the nice ones), or beat to crap. There are 3 reconstructed evos that seem to pop up for sale every few months but I didn't want that. I found a clean 1 owner apex silver IX with 17k miles on the clock and the only mod was a K&N panel filter. It was for sale at a small mom and pop dealership. They came and picked me up from the airport and after driving the IX for less than 10 minutes I knew I was going to buy the car. So we went to the dealership, did the paperwork, I hung out with my grandad for a week then shipped it back up to Alaska. Even with $1200 in shipping costs I still got it for book value. Worth every penny.

My sti had cobb springs and the IX was on stock suspension (although it was a MR so it had the blisteins), still the evo felt like it was on rails where the STI never felt as planted. The STI had stock yokos and the EVO had all-seasons. The IX stock felt much better than the STI, the IX turbo pulls all the way to redline while a STI stock turbo falls flat after 5500-6k rpm. I did a basic tune and ran a 12.7 in the 1/4 mile w/ a 1.7 60ft with just the panel filter and tune as only mods and still on the all-seasons.

Yeah you can mod out the sti but the stock boxer engines start having issues with pistons and rings at about 350whp....there are people running 400-500 on stock evo motors with pretty good reliability. Plus getting much more than 300whp with the stock STI turbo is a challenge while the stock evo IX turbo is good to over 400.

Interior wise I miss the STI dash, mainly the shift light and the gauges which look a little nicer than the IX and on the 07s the radio and thermal controls look better than the crap mitsu put in the USDM evos (wish I could get euro or JDM thermal controls), seats are better in the evo hands down.

About the only other thing i miss from the sti is how solid the transmission felt (compared to my MR 6spd, I have a built TRE 5spd going in soon) and the DCCD feature. While I never used the DCCD except to allow myself to slide the rear end around like a fool, it was a neat feature.

Since I purchased the IX I've put 8000 miles on it, installed lowering brackets, ETS intake, amsoil cone filter, buschur downpipe and o2 housing, RRE test pipe and back exhaust, MAPerformance LICP, and Aquamist HFS-6 meth/water injection. Put down 399whp (avg of 3 runs) on virtual dyno software (no allwheel dyno up here) and ran a 12.2 on the same all-seasons with a 1.9 60ft. (New tune also)

New rims and tires coming, plus install the transmission, new motor mounts, new twin-disc clutch..etc. etc. etc.

Yes there are faster cars down the 1/4mile (my buddy's 68 El Camino for one) but for a car that is fun no matter how you drive it, can go fast in the 1/4 (if you want), do great in rallycross, road race, or just around town, it is hard to beat an Evo.

I could not be more happy with this car and while I probably won't keep it forever, I shudder to think how awesome my next fast car will have to be, for me to replace my Evo.

Last edited by akeric; Dec 27, 2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by akeric
I still owned my black 07 STI, it had a BW256 rotated turbo setup, custom dp, turbo back exhaust, injectors, some other small things. I went down (I like in Alaska) to Washington state to visit my grandfather who was sick at the time (prostate cancer, but he beat it), since I was going to be down there I figured "What the hell" I'll look at an evo or two.

Most of the Evos up here are either owned by people who don't want to get rid of them (the nice ones), or beat to crap. There are 3 reconstructed evos that seem to pop up for sale every few months but I didn't want that. I found a clean 1 owner apex silver IX with 17k miles on the clock and the only mod was a K&N panel filter. It was for sale at a small mom and pop dealership. They came and picked me up from the airport and after driving the IX for less than 10 minutes I knew I was going to buy the car. So we went to the dealership, did the paperwork, I hung out with my grandad for a week then shipped it back up to Alaska. Even with $1200 in shipping costs I still got it for book value. Worth every penny.

My sti had cobb springs and the IX was on stock suspension (although it was a MR so it had the blisteins), still the evo felt like it was on rails where the STI never felt as planted. The STI had stock yokos and the EVO had all-seasons. The IX stock felt much better than the STI, the IX turbo pulls all the way to redline while a STI stock turbo falls flat after 5500-6k rpm. I did a basic tune and ran a 12.7 in the 1/4 mile w/ a 1.7 60ft with just the panel filter and tune as only mods and still on the all-seasons.

Yeah you can mod out the sti but the stock boxer engines start having issues with pistons and rings at about 350whp....there are people running 400-500 on stock evo motors with pretty good reliability. Plus getting much more than 300whp with the stock STI turbo is a challenge while the stock evo IX turbo is good to over 400.

Interior wise I miss the STI dash, mainly the shift light and the gauges which look a little nicer than the IX and on the 07s the radio and thermal controls look better than the crap mitsu put in the USDM evos (wish I could get euro or JDM thermal controls), seats are better in the evo hands down.

About the only other thing i miss from the sti is how solid the transmission felt (compared to my MR 6spd, I have a built TRE 5spd going in soon) and the DCCD feature. While I never used the DCCD except to allow myself to slide the rear end around like a fool, it was a neat feature.

Since I purchased the IX I've put 8000 miles on it, installed lowering brackets, ETS intake, amsoil cone filter, buschur downpipe and o2 housing, RRE test pipe and back exhaust, MAPerformance LICP, and Aquamist HFS-6 meth/water injection. Put down 399whp (avg of 3 runs) on virtual dyno software (no allwheel dyno up here) and ran a 12.2 on the same all-seasons with a 1.9 60ft. (New tune also)

New rims and tires coming, plus install the transmission, new motor mounts, new twin-disc clutch..etc. etc. etc.

Yes there are faster cars down the 1/4mile (my buddy's 68 El Camino for one) but for a car that is fun no matter how you drive it, can go fast in the 1/4 (if you want), do great in rallycross, road race, or just around town, it is hard to beat an Evo.

I could not be more happy with this car and while I probably won't keep it forever, I shudder to think how awesome my next fast car will have to be, for me to replace my Evo.
Couldn't agree with you more on most of the things. However, my STi trans was probably on it's way out due to the amount of miles I had on it. Same with the clutch. You're right about suspension. Even with BC BR coilovers, the STi still didn't feel safe around corners. The rear end still got loose when coming out of turns going 20mph in wet weather.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:44 AM

akeric, i also agree with you on the differences from the STi to the EVO, the handling is like night and day. I also miss the nicer dash and interior cosmetics, but when you go and drive it like its meant to be driven i think ya get over those little details!

AutoXMRIX : im surprised you had a problem with the tail coming out on your STi, my issue was it pushed like a front drive
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jayroddrumz
akeric, i also agree with you on the differences from the STi to the EVO, the handling is like night and day. I also miss the nicer dash and interior cosmetics, but when you go and drive it like its meant to be driven i think ya get over those little details!

AutoXMRIX : im surprised you had a problem with the tail coming out on your STi, my issue was it pushed like a front drive
Mine also did that as well when accelerating around corners bc the yawrate sensor going bad.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:24 PM

As a brand new EVO owner also I am glad to hear all the pros over the STI. There are many more STI's around town and more wrx owners still. I am already catching flack for having an EVO vs. STI but I could care less because of the driver/car input. I have never been in a car that just reacts before you can think like this thing can.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:53 PM

Sorry to hear about the STi. I do love hearing stories like this though. That many miles is awesome. Both my WRX and STi have been nothing but reliable. Like anything, you just have to treat it well..

Quick Reply: Moving over to the dark side. STi to EVO