Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Moving over to the dark side. STi to EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving over to the dark side. STi to EVO

So, some 18 year old kid messing with his AC controls rear ended my STi(It's totaled) and I've always wanted an EVO IX. So I'm in the process of buying one. I love AWD. I've own many Front and RR cars but nothing compares to AWD. So just wanted to introduce myself.

My last car was an 05' STi with light modifications. 164K on the odo and stock original clutch....Yes, let me say that again. 164k with the stock original clutch. It was slipping a little in 5th and 6th gear if I gave it a ton of throttle but otherwise it was perfect. I just had a drop-in panel filter, a cat delete downpipe and a stage 1 XPT online tune.

However, I still have a ton of parts sitting in the garage for the STi that was going in the STi....Custom Borg Warner S362 with .70 AR T3 single scroll turbine housing Rotated Kit, Fuel Rail, Rotors, 4 sets of rims and tires, BC Coilovers, Black carpet and door panels. Need to get rid of them for my next car.

Mano
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Congratulations on choosing the Evo!
I was going to get an Sti, but I decided against it. And I am very glad I went the route I did with my IX MR SE. Sell all your Sti stuff and join the crowd
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
moving over to the dark side? You mean leaving the dark side don't you Guarantee you will like the Evo more then the STI. Two totally different cars in my opinion. Regardless, welcome!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:13 PM

I had 2 STi's prior to getting a mitsu, totally different feel for sure. The only thing I truly miss is the sound of the boxer rumble. Post pics when you do get it
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

nice turbo. Had a guy local run a 10.7 in his sti on the batmowheel version of that turbo.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 73DatsunZ
Congratulations on choosing the Evo!
I was going to get an Sti, but I decided against it. And I am very glad I went the route I did with my IX MR SE. Sell all your Sti stuff and join the crowd
Yep, I'll be glad I'm getting rid of that mess.

Originally Posted by Pssst
moving over to the dark side? You mean leaving the dark side don't you Guarantee you will like the Evo more then the STI. Two totally different cars in my opinion. Regardless, welcome!
Well, that is what most of the WRX/STi guys say when they switch over to a rivalry.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ITLL_GO
I had 2 STi's prior to getting a mitsu, totally different feel for sure. The only thing I truly miss is the sound of the boxer rumble. Post pics when you do get it
I liked the boxer rumble...for like 3 months and then found someone to give me a stock STi exhaust. Since then, I love hearing myself think and sometimes the music from the radio.
I've moved one from the big spoiler and gigantor hood scoop. I'm more into the semi stealth mode now.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Murf
nice turbo. Had a guy local run a 10.7 in his sti on the batmowheel version of that turbo.
Yeah, too bad I didn't find out what mine could do with the new setup. My STi was high maintenance with tons of leaks that had to be plugged up by replacing a ton of seals.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:43 AM

Welcome to the Evo family. After owning 3 evo's, without one problem since I've owned them, and always being a mitsu lover...from the first DSM turbo AWD back in the day, I can tell you first hand. You'll love your EVO.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

welcome to the brighter side dude.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoXMRIX

Well, that is what most of the WRX/STi guys say when they switch over to a rivalry.
Its a rivalry to some, but I completely respect the STI guys, the WRX owners who wanna be STI's... not so much, they are usually cocky
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:04 AM

Went from 04 STi to 06 MR. Loved both cars, but the Evo is an improvement in *most* ways, and the first car I've owned that I didn't think needed much work to satisfy me. A few things they don't tell you about Evos when you live in the Subaru camp:

-Drinks gas when you're on boost, even compared to a STi
-No cruise control gets old pretty quickly on long highway trips
-Trip computer maxes out at 999, which is annoying because you can't use it to track miles between oil changes like I did on the Subaru
-Turing circle radius is embarrassingly large. 3 point turns are in your future.

Still, these are generally minor issues and I'm highly satisfied with the car overall. Just interested to see how it holds up compared to my STi, which was bulletproof.

Last edited by MaximumYin; Dec 23, 2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
^ Yup. Anything with less than three lanes in each direction is going to require a three-point turn.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

you've got it all wrong, it's pronounced "FA-ST" side, not dark....... :P
Old Dec 25, 2011, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MaximumYin
-Drinks gas when you're on boost, even compared to a STi
My STi was 14mpg and horrible on gas. 200 miles to the tank due to a stupid fuel rail leak.

-No cruise control gets old pretty quickly on long highway trips
I rarely used my cruise control on my STi, very rarely. Probably once since I've owned it for over 2.5 years.

-Trip computer maxes out at 999, which is annoying because you can't use it to track miles between oil changes like I did on the Subaru
I usually track it through the main miles, so that won't bother me at all.

-Turing circle radius is embarrassingly large. 3 point turns are in your future.
That sucks to hear. Alway thought that having a faster rack helped. Anyway to help it turn better? Get an aftermarket rack?

Still, these are generally minor issues and I'm highly satisfied with the car overall. Just interested to see how it holds up compared to my STi, which was bulletproof.
My 05' STi had tons of leak issues.
1. Severe valve cover leaking onto the headers=massive annoying smoke.
2. Severe fuel rail leak=smelling raw fuel smell every time I drove the car.
3. Handling sucked due to oversteer=had to change all the bushings-anti lift kit, rear clunker killer, swaybar bushing, steering rack bushings, sheez!!! A ton more bushings and it still handled like crap.
4. Yaw Rate Stability Sensor went out. This also cause it to handle like crap. Once replaced, it somewhat fixed a little of the oversteer.
5. Vacuum leak from the factory turbo inlet. Was such a pain to find this b/c it was on the bottom side of where the turbo was. It was a quarter size hole and I was getting 10mpg. Once I replace this piece of crap inlet, mind you this was a pain in the neck, it was a little better in gas and more power.
6. Stupid factory rear shocks clunked after 60k. Had to regrease them with lithium ever 30k. So annoying. Suspension bounced like crazy from factory.
7. The dealers around the ATL were horrible. Every time I took my car to get serviced, I came back with a door ding.
8. Removing the turbo was such a pain in the neck.
9. Turbo feed line ended up leaking and then it caused a massive smoke bomb while driving.
10. Hated the seats with the passion. It was made for people with really wide hips.
11. Hated the blue interior. So tacky! I tried changing it to black door panels and black carpet but the blue seats were killing me. I was still not satisfied.
12. Hated the massive ricer hood scoop.
13. The rumble was ok for 3 months. Then I wanted piece and quiet.
14. Keyless beep stopped working after 60k.
15. 4th gear downshift grind=snycros of course was bad.
16. Had to replace the oil pickup tube with killerb due to fear of the factory cracking.
17. Had to constantly do a compression and leakdown test every 20k due to fear of Ringland crack. Even with a good tune. Factory engine was very noisy even when changing to Rotella T6 and/or Royal Purple.
18. Why the heck did they not do the dash lights and console lights the same color? Amber dash and green console? Tacky! Course I was going to change all of this.

Quick Reply: Moving over to the dark side. STi to EVO