Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Looking to buy an Evo and I have some questions about one I am looking at! Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to buy an Evo and I have some questions about one I am looking at! Help!

I currently have a 97' Eclipse GSX and am planning on upgrading to a 03' Evo (Since they are 4 door, and I need a bigger vehicle). There's only one place within 200miles from where I live that actually sell them or ever has any available.

All the others that are sold are usually over 20k and are highly modified. Anyways, they have yellow one I really liked but there was one issue on the test drive and I looked everywhere on the web but could not find the sound I heard while shifting from 1st to 2nd (only while the clutch was pressed in) where it would make a "whooping" sound.

Let me try to go into great detail:

Push in clutch
Put in first gear
Accelerate
Push in clutch
Put shifter down
As soon as it hits neutral it starts and sounds like "whoop whoop whoop" (Police siren, Homer Simpson, 3 Stooges sound)
As soon as it starts engaging into 2nd gear the sound stops immediately and doesn't make the sound again (No other gears does this, ONLY from first to second gear)

I've personally never heard this sound before on a car, it sounds similar to the three stooges or Homer Simpson?? The dealer said it was a bearing, my mechanic friend said it sounds more like a synchronizer issue.

There was absolutely no grinding or clunking noises and it shifted smoothly and I also drove the car very hard and if the car didn't drive so fantastic I would move on to the next one. It was lightly modified but it seemed like the previous one owner took really good care of it mechanically, it has an HKS exhaust, Injen IC piping, a very nice MBC, and it appears the rest is all stock.

The only thing making me hesitate is the sound it makes during that 1st to 2nd shift, but the dealer and my friend both said it sounds like an easy fix and the dealer is offering a 3 year warranty on it. Anyone have any ideas, input, or advice? Thanks to anyone in advance, I appreciate it!

Edit: It also does not make the sound at idle in neutral, it's specifically from 1st gear to 2nd gear only. It made the noise when building up boost and when NOT building any boost, so it was definitely not the BOV.

Edit#2: I've been searching for hours on trying to find the sound, and have been unsuccessful so but it literally sounds like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y_1TmbMbi0 again, it starts as soon as it hits neutral from 1st gear and continues making the noise until 2nd gear is engaged, so if I hesitated it kept making the sound, if I shifted quickly you wouldn't even notice it.

Last edited by TheGreatEvo; Jan 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:27 AM

88 views and no one? Well this isn't looking promising...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't really help you with the noise but be careful with that extended warranty on the Evo unless you can get the dealership to put it in writing that they're aware of the mods on it and they won't void the warranty because of them. Warranty companies are not very fond Evos with even minor mods.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ian0611
I can't really help you with the noise but be careful with that extended warranty on the Evo unless you can get the dealership to put it in writing that they're aware of the mods on it and they won't void the warranty because of them. Warranty companies are not very fond Evos with even minor mods.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, as soon as I heard the sound, I asked him if it was something they'd check into before selling me the car. He said no because it was probably something that wouldn't affect the safeness of the vehicle then said if I was worried about it I could get an extended warranty.

The first thing I asked was would it be in writing that they were aware of the sound, and the mods on the car and he said yes. All they pretty much sell are Evos, and they take ones with unclean titles and "flip" them. When I pulled into the lot, there were about 10 Evos in the back currently getting flipped and getting ready to put on the lot.

I'm still a little leery though because I have found absolutely nothing on the sound that I heard and definitely do not want to buy someone else's headache. The guy has sold over 5 Evos in just the past 2 months though so half of me is like "You're going to miss an opportunity!" so I don't know at this point...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If he's "flipping" Evos then you might be better waiting for another one to come along that doesn't make funny noises. One of the biggest lessons I learned in car buying is Patience, Patience, Patience! The right car will come along for the right price if you take your time.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it have an Stock trans or a Shep?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 05:24 AM

If he's "flipping" Evos then you might be better waiting for another one to come along that doesn't make funny noises. One of the biggest lessons I learned in car buying is Patience, Patience, Patience! The right car will come along for the right price if you take your time.
Very good point, but if it is an easy fix I think it may be the right car. It's the color I want, already has an autometer boost gauge, Injen upper and lower ICP (Which is what I would of bought), etc. And it's also not highly modified so I came here hoping to hear it was an easy fix, but if it isn't then I'd wait for the next one to come along Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Does it have an Stock trans or a Shep?
I believe it's stock, but I have a list of questions I'm going to ask him today when I call and I'll add that to the list. Saturday was the only day I could head up there and they're not open for very long on Saturdays so I didn't have as much time as I would liked to check it out, ask questions, etc.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 09:37 AM

I can second this advice. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, and after selling my car find it easily to get excited for cars that pop up. Just need to stick to your guns and pull the trigger when you're absolutely confident in the car you're buying. Goodluck with the search!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by boconnor811
I can second this advice. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, and after selling my car find it easily to get excited for cars that pop up. Just need to stick to your guns and pull the trigger when you're absolutely confident in the car you're buying. Goodluck with the search!
Thanks! Glad to see someone is in the same boat as me. It just sucks because Evo's are so rare in this area and when one does pop up, it's garbage...I just wish I could find some information on the sound it made, because I am still yet to find anything that sounds similar to it other than BOV flutter and A/C belt issues