Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New Here - Leaving for BMT Soon. Looking for my next toy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Here - Leaving for BMT Soon. Looking for my next toy

Hello all,
My name is Kyle and around July of last year after turning 22, I decided to join the Air Force as College wasn't really working for me (Couldn't decide on a major) and the job situation really was no better. I am leaving for BMT on March 27th and due to my decision, I sold all of my "toys" for now, paid off nearly all of my debt, and want to start "fresh" later on in 2012 once I get stationed.

In light of all this, for now while I wait, I decided to do some research and learn about what vehicle I'd like to pick up next. Pretty much for the last 7 years, my hobby [addiction] has been strictly cars, and then motorcycles.

When I turned 16, I bought myself a new Hyundai Tiburon 2.7L .. I was young, thought all show and no go was cool. My mindset quickly changed, and I tried making an "N/A Beast" with it. Granted, the 2.7L really couldn't ever be considered a beast. This is a video of how the car was when I sold it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk3STfaSSkU

I sold it because I really wanted a V8 RWD. I hated FWD at that point, so I bought a car that I really enjoyed - a 2004 Pontiac GTO. I had fun with the GTO for only about 1.5 years and then sold it. Installing headers caused a CEL, so I bought a cam for it and was gonna have it tuned all at once, but then I started getting involved in motorcycles, so I got a 96' Crown Vic as a beater, sold the GTO and bought myself a couple of motorcycles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8JmP...layer_embedded

Had fun with motorcycles for a couple years (Had a 97' CBR900RR, 06' ZX6R, 11' Z1000) but recently sold my final bike because I really won't have any time to ride.

I hear when you get stationed, you can have 1 vehicle on base, so a motorcycle is pretty much out of the question (At least probably for the next couple years or so till I can live off base). Which then meant, I want to get back into cars.

So, this past month I've been doing some searching as to what I would consider "affordable" and what I would like. I looked at a few cars that were quickly scratched off the list, like the 370Z (Too much $), Challenger, and Camaro SS.

Now I've got 2 cars on my short list- a built EVO 8 or 9, or another Pontiac GTO that's either built, or Supercharged.

I'd like another V8 muscle car, but at the same time, always been a fan of fast EVO's. To me, they have a reputation of "Don't mess with me, you'll lose". I've looked through the FS section and see some great EVO's for sale, so I look forward to getting through BMT & Tech School so I can get back into this addictive hobby.

Sorry for the long intro, hope it was worth your time.

Regards,
Kyle
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:51 AM

I'll be seeing you at basic. Maybe. I leave April 10th.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Unless things have changed in the last 10 years, I always had multiple vehicles on base. I had 2 cars while in Tech school at Keesler Air Force Base. At Ramstein, I had 2 cars and 1 bike. I was single during that time, so they would only ship 1 vehicle to Germany. I shipped the 2nd vehicle myself. (about $1500) I bought the bike on base while in Germany.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bones_OZ
I'll be seeing you at basic. Maybe. I leave April 10th.
I'll be the guy that looks like everyone else.

Originally Posted by Steven
Unless things have changed in the last 10 years, I always had multiple vehicles on base. I had 2 cars while in Tech school at Keesler Air Force Base. At Ramstein, I had 2 cars and 1 bike. I was single during that time, so they would only ship 1 vehicle to Germany. I shipped the 2nd vehicle myself. (about $1500) I bought the bike on base while in Germany.
Good to know Steven! My cousin who is stationed over in Italy could only have 1 vehicle on base, and I've heard from others that some US Bases only allow 1 vehicle for those who are single living on base. If I end up at a base where I can have more than 1 vehicle, I'll definitely be looking into taking the military MSF course and getting another bike.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:58 PM

Very small bases may have a restriction on the amount of cars you have. Most of them it doesnt matter though... I hope you go with the evo lol... later
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by urcarisslower
Very small bases may have a restriction on the amount of cars you have. Most of them it doesnt matter though... I hope you go with the evo lol... later
Awesome info! Thanks guys for the heads up. I think what I will want to do is get a nice built EVO when I get stationed, and then save up another year and then pick up a fuel injected supersport.

As much as I like GTO's, I do find myself on these forums a lot looking at cars for sale and seeing what's available out there to figure out what I'd be capable of affording/wanting when the time comes. (I figure I will like to spend around $20k, and I've seen some NICE EVO 8/9's with recently built shortblocks go for around there.)
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:20 AM

GL in basic. Also I think you did a great job with those uploaded videos. I look forward to seeing your Evo!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 07:49 PM

Good Luck in BMT! I'm stationed at Keesler AFB, MS and I have my Evo here and trying to find other evo owners or even a shop closer than the one in Mobile.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

Like everyone has said, I'm Active Duty Air Force as well (I'm 20) and have two vehicles on base. Currently I'm in Afghanistan so I'm waiting to get my Evo (should be in the next few weeks). I'm stationed at Minot AFB (Yes the rumors are true, it blows).
Old Feb 2, 2012, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah, where in NY are you from? I'm from NY too
Old Feb 2, 2012, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have a guaranteed job or are you open? Don't be one of those guys that tries to get stationed near your home or where you are from. Go overseas, explore, experience, live. The AF will pay you extra to live overseas, nearly 350$ a month in some countries as a single A1C. Going overseas will expand your mind on the car scene nearly infinitely. A good tip if you DO want to go overseas, on your dream sheet fill out ZERO CONUS bases and however many overseas you want. You do not have to fill in any CONUS or any overseas what so ever. Don't let them mislead you at basic.
Even with that said, if you are trying to stay in the states, don't count on it. There is a good chance you will get stationed overseas anyways. I see you want an 8 or 9, awesome but that might not be possible outside of states. Japan I can speak for, other countries I cannot. You cannot afford an 8 or 9 in Japan on airman with the Yen rate how it is. Its 8-10k for just a VI.

It depends on the base on the limit of cars. In Japan you can only have 1 if you are single.
Please ask if you have any questions. I don't mind helping.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Minot Syndicate
Oh yeah, where in NY are you from? I'm from NY too
Rotterdam, NY (Right outside of Albany)

Originally Posted by SaulHudson
Do you have a guaranteed job or are you open? Don't be one of those guys that tries to get stationed near your home or where you are from. Go overseas, explore, experience, live. The AF will pay you extra to live overseas, nearly 350$ a month in some countries as a single A1C. Going overseas will expand your mind on the car scene nearly infinitely. A good tip if you DO want to go overseas, on your dream sheet fill out ZERO CONUS bases and however many overseas you want. You do not have to fill in any CONUS or any overseas what so ever. Don't let them mislead you at basic.
Even with that said, if you are trying to stay in the states, don't count on it. There is a good chance you will get stationed overseas anyways. I see you want an 8 or 9, awesome but that might not be possible outside of states. Japan I can speak for, other countries I cannot. You cannot afford an 8 or 9 in Japan on airman with the Yen rate how it is. Its 8-10k for just a VI.

It depends on the base on the limit of cars. In Japan you can only have 1 if you are single.
Please ask if you have any questions. I don't mind helping.
No, sadly no guaranteed job, but I am going in under the Mechanics Aptitude Area (So at least I am not going in completely open).

In regards to where I hope to be stationed - anywhere south would be ideal! Any place that is overall warmer than NY would be my preferred base. The less of a winter, the better . I really have no objection to being stationed overseas - as you said, it'd be an experience to see the world, in which I'd probably never do otherwise in my lifetime. I think I'd put more state-side bases down as my preferred bases just because I may miss being in the states, however, if I end up being put overseas .. my mindset is nothing but positive.