Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo IX GSR vs Evo IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX GSR vs Evo IX MR

I tried the search function but all I am finding is Evo VIII vs Evo IX threads.

My question is simple...is the jump from the GSR's 5speed to the MR's 6speed that detrimental of a change?

Is there any major reason to hold out purchasing an Evo IX to find the right Evo IX MR?

I have driven an IX MR before way back in 2007 and am looking to get back in one. But I am curious seeing how finding one is nearly impossible if dropping down to a GSR is noticeably different.

Any insight here would be appreciated.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most guys here will tell you to get a 5 speed and that the "5 speed is sooo much better". I know the MR's are proven to have weaker transmissions so if you planning on heavily modding your car, get a GSR. If it's going to be stockish, find an MR since that's what you want. Either way, it's still an Evo and the differences, besides the tranny, are minor.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 speed is definitely recommend for applications over 450hp. It all depends on how you drive though. If your going to the track a lot, then 4th gear in the 6 speed is going to be a problem sooner or later.

IMO..The 6speed is much smoother in every day driving situations. I have driven both extensively and find I like the MR tranny better for my situation. Daily spirited driving and back and forth to work,putting about 350hp to the ground.

As far as the other difference between the MR and GRS ,the aluminum roof panel and the bilsteins, I wouldn't be too concerned with that. The suspension can easily be upgraded and the weight savings from the roof is only going to be noticed in the most extreme situations.

Basically, if your looking to go to the track a lot stay away from the 6 speed. If not the MR would be my choice.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:26 AM

I got the Europeian IX - and to me it sounds like the MR, aluminium roof and 6 speed.
90.000 km so far no issue on the 6 speed tanny. ( mostly road, but also some trackdays )

Knowing that IX was sold in UK and US in more vertions 300,330,360 and 400 HP can anyone tell all differeces ? I am mostly thinking of engine internals, cams, conrods, etc. I know that the turbo is larger on the 400 hp vertion.

/GiGas
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
on evo 9 there was no 400 hp version... most powerful was fq360...

I also have the european evo 9 GSR, which in europe was available as a normal 6 speed with aluminum roof, wings, trunk and enkei wheels, but mine has optional Sport Pack which brings BBS wheels and bilstein suspension... There are no differences in engines between GSR evo 9's, it was only RS model, which had 5 speeds, no AYC and simple interior with no recaros, no sound deadening, quicker rack and magnesium compressor wheel turbo.
In UK there was also evo 9 GT which was basically a GSR with 5 speeds and no AYC...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Remixx02
Most guys here will tell you to get a 5 speed and that the "5 speed is sooo much better". I know the MR's are proven to have weaker transmissions so if you planning on heavily modding your car, get a GSR. If it's going to be stockish, find an MR since that's what you want. Either way, it's still an Evo and the differences, besides the tranny, are minor.
that pretty much sums it up. i chose the gsr since the tranny is stronger, cheaper to fix if it breaks, and cause i like short shifters. i know. its silly, but with the MR you're pretty much stuck with the tall shifter.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Crucifer
I tried the search function but all I am finding is Evo VIII vs Evo IX threads.

My question is simple...is the jump from the GSR's 5speed to the MR's 6speed that detrimental of a change?

Is there any major reason to hold out purchasing an Evo IX to find the right Evo IX MR?

I have driven an IX MR before way back in 2007 and am looking to get back in one. But I am curious seeing how finding one is nearly impossible if dropping down to a GSR is noticeably different.

Any insight here would be appreciated.

The IX MR has a 6-speed and can handle better with topspeeds on the highway. Although like everyone else that has said it. The ACD is just one more thing to break. The gears cannot handle the power if you upgrade. Most companys offer a 6 to 5 speed change. Only because the 5 spd can handle that immense power that you might put down later from adding that huge turbo and all the other bells and whistles.

The IX is a good choice.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
One thing that I want to add is that I disagree with how people automatically default to the "5-speed for high power/heavy track use, 6-speed for daily driving" advice. I'd say for daily driving, it just depends on a variety of things. I still haven't driven the MR to this day, though everyone points out that it shifts more smoothly, but it's not as if shifting the 5-speed is like stirring cookie dough. I'd say it depends on how much you want to spend (or how good of a deal you can get) since it's not as if the potential Evo owners who plan on mostly DDing or doing limited mods will automatically go for the more expensive models just because they're "better" for that purpose, since they all may not see a purpose in spending a thousand or two more.

I've owned two Evo IXs, both with five-speeds, and I still don't regret not getting an MR, especially considering the money I had saved in both scenarios, yet they were both daily-driven and bone stock with no complaints or wishes of having a softer suspension or a smoother shifter. Again, I still haven't driven an MR, but I don't see myself really finding anything inconvient or less comfortable about what these cars don't have compared to the MR, though of course Bilsteins can be swapped in whenever, especially since the shocks will eventually need to be replaced.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

It honestly depends on what you want to do with the car or what the "Ultimate goal" is.

I have a 2006 MR and I really enjoy it. If you do decide to track the car, just get a nice transmission cooler and you will be in good shape.

When my MR was on E85 with my bolt ons, I was just shy of 400whp on a mustang dyno with 426 ft lbs, and the transmission didnt give me any grief. (But then again, it wasn't long term use, I went back to pump gas after about 5000 miles).

Its now back on pump gas and makes 330whp/343wtq and it drives smooth and solid. The 6 Speed offers more gear choice which is nice, and better cruising mpgs on the freeway etc. (Also depending on tune)
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 73DatsunZ
The 6 Speed offers more gear choice which is nice, and better cruising mpgs on the freeway etc. (Also depending on tune)
That's iffy... in stock form, they're rated lower than the 5-speeds, and in real life, it doesn't seem like there's much of a difference, at least not to the point where one transmission clearly gets better gas mileage.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:17 PM

What is someone wanted a E85 evo 9 to run as a DD and in auto-x?

That is my goal is to do as much auto-x, road racing, etc. with an evo while using it as a good daily.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
on evo 9 there was no 400 hp version... most powerful was fq360...

I also have the european evo 9 GSR, which in europe was available as a normal 6 speed with aluminum roof, wings, trunk and enkei wheels, but mine has optional Sport Pack which brings BBS wheels and bilstein suspension... There are no differences in engines between GSR evo 9's, it was only RS model, which had 5 speeds, no AYC and simple interior with no recaros, no sound deadening, quicker rack and magnesium compressor wheel turbo.
In UK there was also evo 9 GT which was basically a GSR with 5 speeds and no AYC...
It was the EVO XIII FQ400 that had 400 hp - just found this wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubi...tion#UK_models

/GiGas

Last edited by GiGas; Mar 19, 2012 at 02:05 PM.