Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

im done. lol

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ionlylive
I'm going through the very same process as well and it is tiresome, however I've met a great deal of cool people. I recommend looking further than a 30 mile radius. I'm from Philly and i've been looking out to chicago and all the way down to Florida. A Chi town road trip might be fun and if you find a car in florida this time of year shipping is DIRT cheap thanks to all the oldies shipping their cars back up north for the spring. I do work in the car industry so my carfax's are free tho.......

Either way - its a tough process, but i've heard from many people who've done it that its worth it in the end.

Food for thought: I'm currently in an 09 STI that I absolutely can't believe I bought. I'm in it right so I'll have no problem getting out of it and breaking even but geez, even the 05 Evo VIII's feel like a much higher quality vehicle than my beer can thats 4 years newer...and it has touchscreen Nav!

>
What dont you like about your STI?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its pure luck i found a mint stock 03 GSR in New York with just under 14k miles at a dealer. Car fax matched the mileage. Just keep searching.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kendogg
What dont you like about your STI?
For starters it has altezza tail lights

More seriously, I just feel that for the money, the quality is severely lacking. I mean yes, the adjustable Xenon head lights, the manual control diff, the hatchback are all cool but I can't, in any way, justify the money for this car.

I completely understand that the STI is simply a roadworthy rally car but it just seems that so many corners were cut on the new car quality. My major complaints are as follows:

Seats: the new seats feel like they came out of mazda 3 sport, they feel non supportive, non bolstered, and barely even look nice with the stone faux suade.

Interior plastics: the interior quality is horrendous. Everything from the cheap plastic trim, to the poorly stiched shift boot, to the terribly placed Nav screen (which is placed at such an angle that it is almost always directly facing natural light consequently preventing the user from ever being able to read the fuction screen due to glare). Even the Automatic window buttons feel as though I am pushing and pulling on that pointed section of a one time use coffee creamer..

Abismal stereo: I don't know why even bother with this. I understand that the STI was never designed with this in mind, but the fact that Subaru has tried to evolve the vehicle to the point where it can be a family car/Sunday escape probes that they would address this facet. The speakers sound as though they came out an old Mazda Protege, and the sound deadening is so terrible that the volume sounds exactly the same inside the car as it does on the outside. The amp from the $1000 option nav unit barely powers the system as well, in order to actually hear talk radio it has to be cranked to 30/40.

Steering: Though the car handles well, the steering feel is very soft and non aggressive for a sports car.

Powerplant: Though the turbo boxer motor has a decent amount of power, the stock tune is absolutely terrible and I had to purchase a COBB stage 1 flash to simply level out the torque curve to where I could tolerate it. For the amount of money that this vehicle costs, you would think that Subaru would have provided a revised motor or at least a twin scroll turbo here in the US. Due to the increase in emission standards, the EJ motor is notorious for piston failures and thus the reliability of owning this subaru is lackluster. Every day there is a new owner with a stock motor that went pop, whether it be modded or stock. To give you an idea, the car that I currently own, was an untitled demo for the first 9k miles. Stock everything, and the pistion 4 went pop within 8k miles.

Putting aside the fact that its also a chunker at 33-3400 lbs and that each one of my power windows operates at different speeds...at the end of the day, its still not an Evo IX, which is what I've always wanted.

I work for BMW, so yes I am spoiled by plush leather ventilated seats, walnut wood interior trims, and V10's, but for an initial 40k MSRP, I was expecting more of the details addressed with quality. For the price that I can get an Evo IX with SSL, its a no brainer - unfortunately we've not seen an EVO VIII or IX traded in a long while. For a car that is 3 years older than my STI, the Evo IX has it all over the new STI IMO on terms of daily enjoyment.

Sorry for the rant OP

>