Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

OK sell me

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK sell me

I will not be ready until the end of summer but tell me why i should choose a evo over a wrx? I am not wanting to get into a battle just intelligent answers. I know i can make loads of power with both. Im not wanting tons of power im wanting a nice car to auto-x, drive the backroads with and just be a general over all toy. I have read the wrx/sti are more reliable? Please only give me your input of you own or have owned either car. I want to know the positive and negatives. Ive read the horror stories about clutches and transfer cases. Shoot me straight because i really do respect the owners of these cars input not just bias. BTW im partial to the looks of the 8-9 over any year wrx.

One last thing, im only looking for around 300whp so the transfer case might not be an issue with that power?

Last edited by stranger91; Mar 28, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:50 PM

inb4 FJF...

Get a WRX
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
300WHP is just fine with a stock transfer case. As long as you don't just dump the clutch when trying to launch, you'll be fine. Of course, don't dump the clutch in the WRX or any AWD car for that matter.

The original factory OEM clutches are weak but it can hold the 300WHP you're seeking. Just don't ride the clutch where it starts to burn. I burnt a brand new OEM clutch out in less than a week once. Wasn't great replacing it at all... Replaced it with an OEM Exedy replacement and it held over 300WHP for 30k.

Between the 2 cars, get an Evo. If you were seeking an STi however, get the STi.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i think your going to get a lot of "search" responses and it is true, you should actually search.
the evo is dominating STU class in autox if u decide to keep it relatively stock.
i chose the evo because it was readily available and in my price range and bone stock.
i've driven an sti and didnt like it too much with the shifting, maybe it was just me.
you should drive both and see which one is available and in your budget.
maintenance is a big concern on both i believe, tcase probs are everywhere.

edit= just read you are choosing between an evo or wrx (i assumed an sti). well in that case, i'd choose the evo hands down.

Last edited by sujinX; Mar 28, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

So a WRX as in a WRX... Or do you mean STI? Either way Evo over both and it's no contest when it comes to performance and modding potential.

300 whp won't even come close to working the stock clutch or transfer case. The horror stories you hear about are idiots that have 400+ wtq and rag on the car at every stop light. I got almost 60k miles out of my stock clutch with the car pushing around 350 whp and close to 400 wtq on a low reading Mustang dyno. I also have an MR so I have the "weaker" transmission and I have had 0 issues with it.

Last edited by jdlewh; Mar 28, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdlewh
So a WRX as in a WRX... Or do you mean STI? Either way Evo over both and it's no contest when it comes to performance and modding potential.

300 whp won't even come close to working the stock clutch or transfer case. The horror stories you hear about are idiots that have 400+ wtq and rag on the car at every stop light. I got almost 60k miles out of my stock clutch with the car pushing around 350 whp and close to 400 wtq on a low reading Mustang dyno. I also have an MR so I have the "weaker" transmission and I have had 0 issues with it.
^^ true, BUT.. he is NOT buying new. therefore theres no way of actually telling the condition of the tcase without inspection, thus the problems potentially exist.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sujinX
^^ true, BUT.. he is NOT buying new. therefore theres no way of actually telling the condition of the tcase without inspection, thus the problems potentially exist.
That is true but that same potential problem exists with the WRX/STI as in when could cylinder number 4 go boom. Like any used car it depends on how well it was taken care of by the previous owner.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have owned both a 06 sti and I currently have a 03 evo. with 300hp both are easily obtainable. Over 350hp I would go with the evo.

There is a big difference between early wrx and the stis.

The sti transmission is the ****.... literally. You would be hard pressed to kill it at the 300hp mark. Early Wrx transmissions are like glass. Break pretty much with anything over stock. 08-09 hatch wrx were faster than the 08-10 sti's in the quarter stock vs stock. Ringland issues are like the never ending plague over there. go to any subaru wrx or sti forum and type in ringland into the search bar. I bet at least 5 pages of different threads pop up related to that.

Sti/wrx motors are an absolute nightmare to work on inside the car but I got pretty good a pulling mine out to work on it. believe me the time it takes one to pull the motor out work on it and put it back in was worlds better than trying to do anything with it in the car.

I was building a 11sec 400hp sti (built motor, 850cc DW, walbro, APS front mount, FP green JB, clutch, full 3 tbe, 38mm ewg, up pipe, tgv deletes, phenolic spacers, intake...ect). Didnt hit the 400hp mark, actually fell a bit short on a MD. Would of hit it on a DJ. Never ran the car at the track. The car was on its second motor before I sold it with 52k on the odometer. The tune i think is what killed the first motor, but I will not get into a pissing match about that. Im over it, figured it out when I sold the car and the next owner took it to another shop and Big Al tuned it.

Since owning this Evo it is literally worlds easier to work on with the motor in the car. Motors are pretty much solid keeping the torque under 450? on stock internals. Transmissions/ xfer case are the weak link in the drive-train comparing the two brands. With what I was doing to my subie I could have had a 450+ evo all day long and been there with less money. I dont regret the car at all I actually liked the car a lot. Went to the v8 scene after that and absolutely hated the boats. Had a GTO total flop. thats what brought me back to the 4 bangin v8 eaters. ended up with this evo and I am very happy again.

The evo will make more power with less money and mods reliably compared to the sti/wrx However nothing will compare to the subie rumble which i miss a great deal.

Long winded yes but Ive owned both. Would I own another sti, hell yes, it would be 08-11 hatch body style and Id buy coil overs, wheels, tbe and maybe an aftermarket top mount. keeping the boost at 18 psi.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

There are ton ton ton of threads about pros/cons of EVO or STI/wrx. Even over on subaru forum.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
basically if you want to go wild with the power bug, evo is the choice hands down.
If you want a respectable dd with moderate power sti and subie rumble!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:28 PM

Curious why you feel it's our responsibility to sell you on the Evo platform, rather than you looking into it yourself and finding out which suits your needs better? Just hard to imagine that someone is so lazy they can't type a few words into a search menu to figure out things on their own.

300awhp in an Evo = Intake, Exhaust, Tune done

Whether or not your clutch or t-case last is entirely dependent upon you (and the previous owner). Go around launching the car by dumping the clutch instead of pre-loading the drivetrain and you're going to have a lot of issues..

Now... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/search.php

Sell yourself upon which platform you deem better for your situation... Good luck
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joshthree6three
I have owned both a 06 sti and I currently have a 03 evo. with 300hp both are easily obtainable. Over 350hp I would go with the evo.

There is a big difference between early wrx and the stis.

The sti transmission is the ****.... literally. You would be hard pressed to kill it at the 300hp mark. Early Wrx transmissions are like glass. Break pretty much with anything over stock. 08-09 hatch wrx were faster than the 08-10 sti's in the quarter stock vs stock. Ringland issues are like the never ending plague over there. go to any subaru wrx or sti forum and type in ringland into the search bar. I bet at least 5 pages of different threads pop up related to that.

Sti/wrx motors are an absolute nightmare to work on inside the car but I got pretty good a pulling mine out to work on it. believe me the time it takes one to pull the motor out work on it and put it back in was worlds better than trying to do anything with it in the car.

I was building a 11sec 400hp sti (built motor, 850cc DW, walbro, APS front mount, FP green JB, clutch, full 3 tbe, 38mm ewg, up pipe, tgv deletes, phenolic spacers, intake...ect). Didnt hit the 400hp mark, actually fell a bit short on a MD. Would of hit it on a DJ. Never ran the car at the track. The car was on its second motor before I sold it with 52k on the odometer. The tune i think is what killed the first motor, but I will not get into a pissing match about that. Im over it, figured it out when I sold the car and the next owner took it to another shop and Big Al tuned it.

Since owning this Evo it is literally worlds easier to work on with the motor in the car. Motors are pretty much solid keeping the torque under 450? on stock internals. Transmissions/ xfer case are the weak link in the drive-train comparing the two brands. With what I was doing to my subie I could have had a 450+ evo all day long and been there with less money. I dont regret the car at all I actually liked the car a lot. Went to the v8 scene after that and absolutely hated the boats. Had a GTO total flop. thats what brought me back to the 4 bangin v8 eaters. ended up with this evo and I am very happy again.

The evo will make more power with less money and mods reliably compared to the sti/wrx However nothing will compare to the subie rumble which i miss a great deal.

Long winded yes but Ive owned both. Would I own another sti, hell yes, it would be 08-11 hatch body style and Id buy coil overs, wheels, tbe and maybe an aftermarket top mount. keeping the boost at 18 psi.
Great points! I'm also an ex STI owner and I can't believe you could go back to one after owning an Evo. After having my 9 I could never go back to a GD let alone a crappy GR STI such as the 08+. I almost feel sick that I missed out on 3 years of Evo driving time with my STI. Not saying my STI was a bad car, it was actually very good but my 9 has just been a few steps above it in almost every way.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Did I mention the Evo is an Evo?

In all seriousness in the realm of evo vs sti. both are great cars no doubt about it, but the reason i chose the evo over the sti is the 4G63 is easier to work on.

If you mean Evo vs WRX, I'd think you'd be mad to choose the WRX
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

If you are talking about the wrx ( not sti ), then get the evo hands down. It will rape the wrx in auto -x and 1/4 mile easy. Its reliable if you take care of it. Maintain it well and dont beat on too much you wukk be fine with that power. Evos are good at being beaten on btw.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

your on a evo site so you mainly gonna get people on the side for the evo. i have a 04 sti and a 03 evo. i can say that if you meen sti by saying wrx than good cause if your gonna auto cross dont get a normal wrx their way slow. for auto crossing and canyon running i would much more want to be in my evo. but for daily driving i would get in the sti.

Quick Reply: OK sell me