Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Can't decide: Keep Jeep or buy Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't decide: Keep Jeep or buy Evo?

Right now I have a Jeep Wrangler, lifted, 35"s, and I love this thing. It looks amazing, and it super fun to drive with doors off/top down.

My problem is gas is killing me. 10-12mpg is not fun @ $4.00 a gallon.

I come from a line of DSMs and actually just sold my 90 AWD project Talon for some extra cash, because I never worked on it. I miss cars, I miss going fast...but I feel I'd miss the Jeep.

Why should I buy an Evo [Why do you love it so much]? Anyone else come from a lifted truck/suv/jeep background?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 01:23 AM

I came from having diesels, specifically powerstrokes and cummins. And the Evo is just all around much more fun. I do miss my trucks at times, but I hardly have the use for a truck anymore it's not worth it. Its a lot more fun having something thats fast, handles well, and is a little easier on the fuel costs since diesel is sky high.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Did you try re-gearing your jeep? I have a 97 wrangler 2.5 with stock size tires for now. I only paid 3k for it. I plan on 4inch lift/33/12.5/15 tires soon with 4.88 gears. I get 20mpg hyw now and 18mpg city. I expect to loose about 2mpg once I get those tires. I'm not crazy offroader but I love driving it with the door off top off. Power sucks plain and simple and so does mpg. Have been debating awhile now to do a tdi motor swap and get 40mpg but I love dumping money into the evo more

By far I feel the evo/DSM are more money pits and they don't get that great of mph and they need 91-93 oct only.

If you have a new jeep 08-12 then I would trade it in for an evo. Jeeps hold there value very well. Then find an old yj/tj for 3-5k and build it up slowly.

Last edited by blackgsx01; Apr 6, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 01:07 PM

Gas should not be a reason to buy a high output turbo vehicle. You step on the gas and bye-bye gas. Essentially you'll gripe about it. I bought an Evo b/c I wanted an Evo. I don't give a **** if gas goes up to $6. I'll still drive the **** out of it.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1010
Gas should not be a reason to buy a high output turbo vehicle. You step on the gas and bye-bye gas. Essentially you'll gripe about it. I bought an Evo b/c I wanted an Evo. I don't give a **** if gas goes up to $6. I'll still drive the **** out of it.
I wouldn't buy an Evo BECAUSE of gas. Basically if I bought an Evo, the higher car payment/insurance payment would balance out because I would literally be saving that much money in gas, even if I always bought 93oct.

But I'd buy an Evo because ever since they came out I wanted one. Like I said, I was into DSMs, and when Evo's first came out they became my dream car...but they were pricey. Now I could pick up a used one, and finally have my dream car.

I would love to regear the Jeep, I think it would bump me to the 15-18mpg range...but regear in my area is around $1600 after everything is said and done.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:15 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TwistedDrum5
... when Evo's first came out they became my dream car...but they were pricey. Now I could pick up a used one, and finally have my dream car.
FWIW, the Porsche Rule applies to Evos, too. Buy the newest, best car you can to begin with. It'll cost you less in the long run. Good luck.