Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New User and some questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New User and some questions

Hello, after 6 years of very happy ownership the time has come to sell my Civic Type R

I have given my next car a lot of thought and unsurprisingly it's an Evo, I believe it ticks all the boxes.

I need a car that does it all as I can't afford or warrant running two cars. So it clearly needs power, economy, good looks and most of all reliability.

Now being a Honda owner I have had no bother with my CTR even at 140k miles, still a very strong car and has aged very well because I have looked after it with all top quality products.

The model I have decided on is an Evo 8 FQ300 upwards with a budget of 10k, which I think will get me some good examples.

I have to do a daily drive of around 10miles, which means that in winter months I need a car that still performs in icy/snowy conditions.

So I guess my questions will be:

Q. Is the Evo 8 a reliable car?

Q. Running costs i.e parts that tend to go wrong other that normal service parts?

Q. MPG on a mildly modded Evo 8, good/bad?

Q. Traction/stability in adverse driving conditions, does the snow/gravel/tarmac setting make any difference?

Q. Any other Evo 8 niggles/traits with a vehicle with around 50k miles?

For the record I'm not dreaming, I fully intend to purchase in 5 months (insurance renewal), your comments would be appreciated. Thanks .
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is a good place to start....most, if not all, of your questions can be answered by clicking on this link and searching a little further for your specific answers off the listed threads

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...faqs-forum-61/

GL and welcome to the Evo community!

*EDIT: Refer to the 'STICKY' threads first...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Q. Is the Evo 8 a reliable car? depends on many many factors.

Q. Running costs i.e parts that tend to go wrong other that normal service parts? much higher than civic. just say you put 5k on a set of tires one pops you have to replace all 4. Then all the basic maintance, f/r diffs, tcase ect...

Q. MPG on a mildly modded Evo 8, good/bad? boost terrible\ no boost OK

Q. Traction/stability in adverse driving conditions, does the snow/gravel/tarmac setting make any difference? Im sure it does something but nothing you notice. its the tire that makes the difference. Use a summer tire in the winter you will be in a ditch.

Q. Any other Evo 8 niggles/traits with a vehicle with around 50k miles? Common niggle is your 10k away from the 60K service
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Here is a good place to start....most, if not all, of your questions can be answered by clicking on this link and searching a little further for your specific answers off the listed threads

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...faqs-forum-61/

GL and welcome to the Evo community!

*EDIT: Refer to the 'STICKY' threads first...
Thanks for your input, I've had a look over it and was I really looking for a varied opinion from other UK members, however I could of found a better place to make my post, sorry.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 9evolution
Q. Is the Evo 8 a reliable car? depends on many many factors.

Q. Running costs i.e parts that tend to go wrong other that normal service parts? much higher than civic. just say you put 5k on a set of tires one pops you have to replace all 4. Then all the basic maintance, f/r diffs, tcase ect...

Q. MPG on a mildly modded Evo 8, good/bad? boost terrible\ no boost OK

Q. Traction/stability in adverse driving conditions, does the snow/gravel/tarmac setting make any difference? Im sure it does something but nothing you notice. its the tire that makes the difference. Use a summer tire in the winter you will be in a ditch.

Q. Any other Evo 8 niggles/traits with a vehicle with around 50k miles? Common niggle is your 10k away from the 60K service
My mechanic/engine builder keeps going on how reliable they are (he's got 3, one at 800hp) but what ever happens I will get one with full service history and purchase a set of winter tires , fluids go without saying so I'm feeling more confident about my purchase, thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
those are a summation of all the answers you're going to get.

as with any car, the reliability of the car will depend on how well you take care of it. if you're DD'ing it, the car will be more reliable than if you tracked it

MPG is a normal AWD MPG - 15-20 city, 20-25 highway. it really all depends on how you drive it.

traction in adverse conditions: perfectly fine. i have an ACD and i don't really know the inner-workings of it. i just stick it on gravel for heavy rain, snow for snow, and tarmac the whole rest of the time
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
those are a summation of all the answers you're going to get.

as with any car, the reliability of the car will depend on how well you take care of it. if you're DD'ing it, the car will be more reliable than if you tracked it

MPG is a normal AWD MPG - 15-20 city, 20-25 highway. it really all depends on how you drive it.

traction in adverse conditions: perfectly fine. i have an ACD and i don't really know the inner-workings of it. i just stick it on gravel for heavy rain, snow for snow, and tarmac the whole rest of the time
I totally agree it does depend on condition and use, it's just some cars have issues even when they are well looked after. It's good to hear that the Evo 8 on the whole is fairly reliable, I'm glad you drive your Evo in all conditions, which is what I'll be doing, thanks.