Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Saved up for 4 years, Importing a Evo to the US?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you saved up 15 grand in college? That's ridiculously impressive and takes a lot of determination. megaprops. Just thought i'd pop in and say that

i know you probably have your own reasons for getting such an early model evo but dude, that's more than enough for a down payment on a BRAND NEW 2012 evo X.. you'll have low *** payments too. right outta college

Last edited by jeffo24; May 17, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 04:29 PM

@nudge120

Why did you live in Japan?Also, why did you leave? Was it for duty reasons? I'm trying to contact Mitsu to see if I can get papers...but I have no clue where to start or who to contact.

Yeah, I believe early year evos can easily hold their own against newer. Also I've been in a X...didn't enjoy it.

The X reminded me how the car generation that I grew up with is fading away. It has too many bells and whistles. And seeing Semi-Automatic cars sicken me to the core. If people are too lazy to learn to use stick, then they shouldn't be owning one.

I don't need a GPS dash..don't need paddle shifters, don't need any of that. I just want the simple mechanics of a great car.

@jeffo24

Thanks! It was very hard..so many times I wanted to spend it all and just give up. Working my *** off and going to college is not easy. I basically had no free time for my friends or myself.

I know how hard it is to import, I've been doing research since I started to save. I just am now wanting to make a move, and all thought I've done research, not many people have attempted and majority just tell me to give up :/

I appreciate all advice and others looking out for me, really makes me glad to see a community that cares.

But my mind is set, I won't stop until I can't go any further. If that means I lose 15k, then at least I know I tried and I can die in peace.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by idolized
@nudge120

Why did you live in Japan?Also, why did you leave? Was it for duty reasons? I'm trying to contact Mitsu to see if I can get papers...but I have no clue where to start or who to contact.

Yeah, I believe early year evos can easily hold their own against newer. Also I've been in a X...didn't enjoy it.

The X reminded me how the car generation that I grew up with is fading away. It has too many bells and whistles. And seeing Semi-Automatic cars sicken me to the core. If people are too lazy to learn to use stick, then they shouldn't be owning one.

I don't need a GPS dash..don't need paddle shifters, don't need any of that. I just want the simple mechanics of a great car.

@jeffo24

Thanks! It was very hard..so many times I wanted to spend it all and just give up. Working my *** off and going to college is not easy. I basically had no free time for my friends or myself.

I know how hard it is to import, I've been doing research since I started to save. I just am now wanting to make a move, and all thought I've done research, not many people have attempted and majority just tell me to give up :/

I appreciate all advice and others looking out for me, really makes me glad to see a community that cares.

But my mind is set, I won't stop until I can't go any further. If that means I lose 15k, then at least I know I tried and I can die in peace.

"I don't need a GPS dash..don't need paddle shifters, don't need any of that. I just want the simple mechanics of a great car. "

its called the RS trim, the older RS trims equipped Evo's are a same as the X RS, there is no more or less "help" between the IV-V- VI and the X besides the ACD and the dual mivec... anyway there is another topic for this ...
just make sure we dont spread dillusions here
Anyway if i were youy and you are really into this older evos, i would try to get a VI or V. In california there is a company who imports cars from japan , i would look them up. I think they do all the paper work etc, to get the car here. after that you are your own.
about importing:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

this is a Japanise site:
http://www.japanautodirect.com/japan...ing_to_usa.cfm

not bad to look around here:
http://www.quora.com/How-difficult-i...apan-to-the-US

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 18, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna add one recommendation, since everyone is telling you not to.

If an Evo V is roughly $6k, plus another $3k-ish to ship that sucker over why don't you get yourself a passport and fly over to Japan and bring one back with you. That way you know you're going to at least get a car and not scammed out of one. Then worry about properly registering the car. Before you do that, do your homework and see if you can actually DD the thing here.

/thread.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wazmunstr
I'm gonna add one recommendation, since everyone is telling you not to.

If an Evo V is roughly $6k, plus another $3k-ish to ship that sucker over why don't you get yourself a passport and fly over to Japan and bring one back with you. That way you know you're going to at least get a car and not scammed out of one. Then worry about properly registering the car. Before you do that, do your homework and see if you can actually DD the thing here.

/thread.
Its not that simple. You are missing a few key details. One being, they speak Japanese in Japan. Props to any american who can fly to Japan and buy a care let alone even get it shipped. Incredibly difficult feat.
Airfare is just short of 2 grand.
Old May 19, 2012, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by idolized
@nudge120

I don't need a GPS dash..don't need paddle shifters, don't need any of that. I just want the simple mechanics of a great .
I'm in the Air Force, so I was stationed there for 4 years. How are you trying to import the car? An exemption/exclusion if so which one, that will give you an idea of what you need. Also the EPA portion is just as important as the NHTSA/DOT portion but seems to be rarely mentioned. Do you know what you will be requesting from Mitsubishi? I've got to say I dont see you having much luck with them.
I say if you feel you must have a V or VI look for one already here. I do think cars are getting to heavy and I enjoy the raw, mechanical, and communicative feel the early cars have so I can identify with what you saying, but new tech does undoubtedly aid performance.

Last edited by nudge120; May 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old May 19, 2012, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

As others have said, your best bet is going to be buying an 8 or 9 already in the US. There are far too many potential issues with attempting to import vehicles.
Old May 19, 2012, 03:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBoz
Dont waste your money. Find a used evo 8, it will be better in the long run.
^ what he said. why import an evo to the states when you can get a newer version easier. 15k can get you an evo 8.
Old May 19, 2012, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may not be what you want to hear, but I would either look for an high-mileage/abused/modified IX/VIII - on your budget with a motivated seller and cash in hand you can probably pull this off - or I would save a little longer and get a clean IX or VIII.

Otherwise, you'll end up spending more money trying to federalize an imported Evo, and there is no guarantee of success. At best you'll spend more money and at worst, you'll throw four years of savings down the toilet.
Old May 21, 2012, 03:19 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. This has given me a more clarity on this matter. I think I'll just keep saving up for another year. Maybe I can just buy one that is already in the states.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 01:47 AM

Importing an EVO to USA

There is a place in Canada that imports them and once you have them accross the pond and converted to canadian specs you should technically be able to drive across the border and maybe even register it to your specs.

I personally own an EVO IV GSR and completely enjoy every minute I get to drive it. It sucks that I must wait until 2021 in order to be able to import it legaly.

The other possible scenario is that in 2013 when Mitsu stops producing the Evolution line our cars especially the older ones will increase in value and possibly become collectors items. At this point there may be other clauses within the import laws that will allow for importing of collector vehicles.

For now I am enjoy the time I have in Germany and every time I get to run my car.

I found this video in youtube about that place in canada perhaps you can give them a shout and let us all know what they say