Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Undecided on model

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undecided on model

So I've test driven 8 & 9, but still undecided on which to get. I know there are lots of differences and all cars are different. I was wondering if any long time Evo enthusiasts know which model is a little more dependable? I've had people tell me that 8's eat up clutches... But in my mind that would just be the person driving poorly.

Others say 03-04 have best handling... Again could be lack of upgrades or driving skill.

I've gone and read a lot of the posts for the newbies, but just looking for opinions not hard facts. And I know everybody has at least 1 opinion if not multiple.

Thanks for the info in advance.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Scipe
So I've test driven 8 & 9, but still undecided on which to get. I know there are lots of differences and all cars are different. I was wondering if any long time Evo enthusiasts know which model is a little more dependable? I've had people tell me that 8's eat up clutches... But in my mind that would just be the person driving poorly.

Others say 03-04 have best handling... Again could be lack of upgrades or driving skill.

I've gone and read a lot of the posts for the newbies, but just looking for opinions not hard facts. And I know everybody has at least 1 opinion if not multiple.

Thanks for the info in advance.
Just buy the best one you can find and afford. Stock is best if you can find one and can truely confirm it was not previously modded and abused. otherwise find a lightly modded one assembled and tuned by a reputable Evo shop. If you are going to mod it to the max, it really doesn't matter if its a 8 or 9. The biggest difference between the 8 and 9 is the turbo and MIVEC.

To answer your question though, go with a 9 SE, but I am biased. The SE is the lightest with A/C, ABS and AYC. Put on some Bilsteins from a MR and you are set (handling and decent ride). But again, just buy the best one you can find with a well documented maintenance history - just like you would for any car.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the input. Only reason I haven't looked for a X is the prices are up there above what my finances can handle... So basically look for stock low miles and go from there... Shouldn't be too hard.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Yea decent 8s and 9s are in the teens now. Again, I'm a little bias, but the 9 is better than the X. I'm not a fan of the X styling and they are so heavy.
Old May 19, 2012, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

the biggest differences between the 8s and 9s are the turbo mivec and the 9s and 05 8s have the active center diff, with a factory lsd which has been known to be stronger than the 03-04s open diff transfer cases. and the MR 6 speeds are weaker than the stock 5 speeds. but in the end its all nit picking just find one thats clean and youll be happy
Old May 19, 2012, 09:12 PM

I would go with an VIII...there's a reason why most performance shops have Evo VIII doing 9's on the track
Just my opinion though. I like the IX because of leather interior and a difference in front bumper design. I was told one time that the IX has stuff that is not really necessary like the ACD, unless you do autox. Idk I'm probably wrong I'm pretty sure I am, but I myself wanted the IX instead got into an VIII since it was affordable. Most IX are around the 25,000 area so yeah that wasn't going to be easy for me to get. I love my VIII and hopefully I can get into a IX soon
Old May 20, 2012, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IX...Mivec turbo...(slightly) better interior and front end...RS models too if you're into bare bones...

VIII prob can be had the cheapest, but cash aside, it all goes down to what you want to wake up everyday and drive with!
Old May 20, 2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by EvoVIII_03
I would go with an VIII...there's a reason why most performance shops have Evo VIII doing 9's on the track
Just my opinion though. I like the IX because of leather interior and a difference in front bumper design. I was told one time that the IX has stuff that is not really necessary like the ACD, unless you do autox. Idk I'm probably wrong I'm pretty sure I am, but I myself wanted the IX instead got into an VIII since it was affordable. Most IX are around the 25,000 area so yeah that wasn't going to be easy for me to get. I love my VIII and hopefully I can get into a IX soon

I do plan to do autocross and maybe some drag. But I really love curves, hills and all that more than a flat 1/4. The biggest issue is definitely the cost. Like most people in the US the ****ty economy is hitting the bank account.

Thanks for all the info everybody. I appreciate it.
Old May 20, 2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by akemi27
IX...Mivec turbo...(slightly) better interior and front end...RS models too if you're into bare bones...

VIII prob can be had the cheapest, but cash aside, it all goes down to what you want to wake up everyday and drive with!

Honestly I've always loved the Evo and it's been my car of desire so any of them will please me to wake up to and drive daily.
Old May 21, 2012, 04:08 AM
Evolving Member

most people will vote for a 9 with a 5 speed. 9's are basically an upgraded and faster version of the 8's. especially early year 8's. get what you can afford. around here a stock evo 9 with about 50k miles will generally be over 20 grand unless you get lucky.
Old May 21, 2012, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

yea it depends on how much you are going to mod it and what you are willing to spend. If you are going to keep stock turbo's and have mild bolt-ons I would say go for a 9. I had an 05 8 same setup as I mentioned and liked it; but if I had a chance to do over again and it was between an 8 or 9, I'd choose the 9 definitely because of the MIVEC.

GL finding what you want.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:45 AM

I might not know what I'm talking about, but you guys make the mivec system sound just like how Honda owners talk about Vtec. If you are going to go deep into modding I don't think its that important. Maybe just by throwing some cams into an VIII makes it the same as if you have mivec.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fantrman
Just buy the best one you can find and afford. Stock is best if you can find one and can truely confirm it was not previously modded and abused. otherwise find a lightly modded one assembled and tuned by a reputable Evo shop. If you are going to mod it to the max, it really doesn't matter if its a 8 or 9. The biggest difference between the 8 and 9 is the turbo and MIVEC.

To answer your question though, go with a 9 SE, but I am biased. The SE is the lightest with A/C, ABS and AYC. Put on some Bilsteins from a MR and you are set (handling and decent ride). But again, just buy the best one you can find with a well documented maintenance history - just like you would for any car.
I thought the SE already comes with Bilsteins?
Old May 22, 2012, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by desiromeo812
I thought the SE already comes with Bilsteins?
The SE comes with KYBs. Only the MR comes with Bilsteins.