Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: HOw Old Are You?
0-16
2.52%
17-20
21.41%
21-25
35.66%
26-29
17.13%
30-&up
23.28%
Voters: 4489. You may not vote on this poll

Age of Lancer Evolution Owners [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:10 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm almost 47 and want an Evo and an STi. I also want to see pics of the Evo without the optional CF wing. Anyone have links to such?
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good point.. I find it does attract a bit of unwanted attention occasionally. But then again, I'm also dating a 21 year old woman so I tend to attract the younger people anyway. I look about 25, not 34.. so I can still get away with 'hangin in the scene'

And I can tell you right now.. its not my car keeping me young.. but it certainly isn't hurting.. ROFL
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Either way

Originally posted by LDB
I'm almost 47 and want an Evo and an STi. I also want to see pics of the Evo without the optional CF wing. Anyone have links to such?
Im sorry I dont have a link for you, But I can tell you the EVO looks very nice with the smaller wing. It is basically the same wing as the standard Lancer with no center support.

J
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:22 PM

Smile i am 32, the evo is my wife's car

she's 33, we got it because i love the technology aspect of the car. I am a car guy and i work in the car buisness. I always liked the rally spec models having owned numerous Quattros(note the capital Q) I owned several 83-85 Audi Quattro Coupe Turbos, i always had porsches and other hi po cars(5 GN'S) this car replaced our 944s as her driver. It's the first Japanese car we have owned(other than toyota trucks) I always fancied myself a european type( i even worked for Rapid Parts for 4 years) I always loved at the european low key style of performance. I was lucky enough to have a few REAL Calloway Turbo VW's this evo is the next best thing, it runs and drives great, only thing i can complain about is that the dealers all pretty much suck. As a parts guy for a long time , I know how the dealers all work. I have to tell you that Mitsu has the worst dealers i personally have ever bought a car from(having bought 10 new cars of several brands) I feel the service is bad too, I am an ase master tech and when we bring the car in for an oil change they preach to me that "special tools need to be used" give me a break! I know that personally I won't be buying Mitsu again...nothing against the car, but everything else about this company sucks.....and NO I do not feel old at all driving the Evo. When was the last time you saw a teen driving a $30k car?
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:23 PM

Recently saw an article on NY Times that said "Too Fast, Too Furious, Too Old." Despite the title, it was not making fun of the "older" crowd. I think it was a 30 something dentist who was married with a kid and owned an RX7.

Anyways, I'm nearing 30, and I own an RX7, and at some point in the next 1-3 years, I plan on getting an EVO.

Btw, search for Evolution VIII RS for pics. They come without the spoiler. I think its great that we "adults" can have a "practical" car with 4 doors, that seats 4 comfortably, and puts most "sports" cars to shame!

In fact, the EVO - excluding the spoiler, was made for the 30 something... IMHO .
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:25 PM

Before i bought the car i thought that i was to old for such a car. Thank God that i ended up buying it because i love the dam thing. I did get a lot of grief at work because the of the big wing but whatever....I like it!!! They call me the gay and the curious at work. That's cool with me because I'm the one usually busting on people so i guess i deserved that one.

By the way....I'm 31
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Location: 85296, 99519, 96817,98310,07306,10461(HomeSweetHome), & 00739
I'm 31. Just got the Tarmac Evo 2 Weeks ago. Also A family man and I don't care what other people think.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:26 PM

Sports cars

Sports cars. Bah.

Most of the people we are talking about consider the N/A V6 Eclipse convertible (current generation) to be a sports car. Idiots, I say. I do find A LOT of teenagers driving EVOs though. Its a shame that some parents think nothing of spending $30K on a car for a kid that's probably going to wrap it around a tree in less than a year.

I have 2 kids 11 and 9 and I can tell you, they are going to be driving something like a Yugo.

J
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

I'm 38 and have also owned V8 muscle cars, modified 1.8T VW, and a modified S4. I also thought I was older than most Evo owners, until getting together for a Vishnu tuning session. The youngest person was 29. I think the average age was around 38.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:36 PM

I’m 47 and drive an Evo. Sure, I could have bought a M3, 911 or S4 but my daughter is in private school and I would like to retire someday and live OK. The Evo is exactly what I wanted at the right price.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:40 PM

too old for Evo??? no way!

I'm 52 and enjoy my Evo immensely. It is certainly the highest performance car I have ever owned. It's almost as much fun as a motorcycle.

Some people my age may think of this as a "mid-life crisis" car, but I don't think the Evo qualifies as that. At least not nearly as much as a Corvette or Porsche would.

I like the fact that the car is so "raw" and uncivilized. I also like that it is fairly low complexity and straightforward. Most of all, I like not having to pay upwards of $50k for something that is going to cost even more for upkeep and high-tech electronic gimmicks that break.

Anyway, no reason that I can see why this shouldn't be a car for drivers of any age (at least those that really like to drive).

One thing I do bet...there aren't many Evo owners over 30 or so that have it as their only car.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Actually that is what surprises me.. the EVO Owners who are fairly young.. Its a little shocking to me to hear about someone who is 18 or 19 getting a 30k ANYTHING.. It took years after I was out of high school before I had anything of any real value.. I had to pay for it myself too..

Yeah yeah.. and I had to walk to school, up hill, barefoot, in the snow.. Uphill, BOTH WAYS back in the day.. LOL
Old Dec 23, 2003, 08:57 PM

I'm 35 and there's a lot of us 'older' Evo owners around. This topic came up several months ago and it looked like the average age was in the 28-30 year age bracket: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=16524

I find that whenever I encounter a 'younger' Evo fanatic, they drool over the looks and the sounds the sounds the car makes (bling-bling factor). Older car nuts tend to admire the specs the car puts out and can usually recite skid pad numbers, weights, acceleration, etc. And then there are the vast majority who are totally clueless about the car (and usually cars in general) and rather than comment on any of a dozen visible performance features the car has, comment on how funny the spoiler looks.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 09:02 PM

I am 30 and love every minute driving my Evo. I was not really interested in buying a Evo until I test drove one.
I also was a previous VW owner patiently waiting for the Golf R32 to be released in NA. After buying my 1992 GMC Typhoon I swore to never own a front wheel-drive car again.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by ZeroPoint
And then there are the vast majority who are totally clueless about the car (and usually cars in general) and rather than comment on any of a dozen visible performance features the car has, comment on how funny the spoiler looks.
Yes, you are right about the clueless masses. Most of the people I know and work with are in the 30-50 age bracket. They don't quite get this car (or why someone my age is driving it) until I take them for a ride. Then it dawns on them....

The wing is controversial, too, but it's always good for a discussion (or argument). I think it's better to be noticed (except by the law).

Quick Reply: Age of Lancer Evolution Owners [MERGED]