Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: HOw Old Are You?
0-16
2.52%
17-20
21.41%
21-25
35.66%
26-29
17.13%
30-&up
23.28%
Voters: 4489. You may not vote on this poll

Age of Lancer Evolution Owners [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jbrennen

I give general statistics and you show exceptions. I have a dozen friends who are millionaires -- that doesn't change the fact that most people are not millionaires. A statistic which those millionaire friends of mine are happy with -- it means they've done well.

I honestly don't understand why young people in their early 20s who are doing well want to convince everyone that all people in their early 20s are doing well. They're not. Most of them are living paycheck to paycheck, running up debt, and generally not in good shape financially. That described me at that age; even though I was earning $54K a year at age 25 and thought I was doing well, looking back now I can see that I was damn near broke. If that doesn't describe you, wonderful, enjoy it. But realize how fortunate you are. You're not doing any favors to the others of your age group -- who actually are struggling -- when you go around talking about how well off your generation is.
Hell, it's not only people in their 20's who struggle to make ends meet. I think that the average EVO owner seems to be pretty damned well off and has no idea of what he "average person" does, how they live, etc.
Why do you think they make and sell so many cheap cars? No only that, lots of folks have old, beat up cheap cars....
Oh yeah, having lots of money does not necessarily mean the person is good, kind or ethical. Although I know some folks with $$ who are principled, humble, kind & generous, I also know lots of *******s who are even worse for having lots of cash. I'm not a millionaire like some here and I probably make less $$ than some 20somethings in this forum. Most of the people I come in contact with everyday are not in the 6 figure income bracket.

Originally posted by JaMa
OK, Im starting to get a complex. I am a car guy to the bone. I have owned V8s, A WRX, an Audi S4, various heavily modified Volkswagens and so forth. I am planning to mod the crap out of this evo as well. However, I am starting to feel like I am old.

Most of the people on this forum and in the EVO world in general seem to be between the ages of 19-25. No, Im not saying its a bad thing to be young and have a nice car. But, I am 35 and I love this car as much as I would have 20 years ago. TO DATE, I have met 1 EVO owner older than me. This was a guy from New Mexico from the dyno this weekend Im guessing was in his 50's.

WTF????

Do older people not think the EVO is a great car or am I just too old for this car?

Cheer me up, Im feeling bad. If you are over 30 and own an Evolution, perk up.

J
Anyway, I got my EVO because I like cars and I could afford it. My age has nothing to do with my enjoyment of the car or life in general. I never give a flip about what some stranger might think about why I drive a car with a wing on the back Anyway, most people have no idea of what the EVO is or any other specialty car for that matter.... Do you all think that the average person knows and admires a Mercedes A32 ? or an STi? There are lots of neat and interesting cars that most folks don't even notice.

Face it, you gotta be a car nut to buy an EVO. With extemely few exceptions, that's the only person who'll buy one. same for the STi or a nimber of other great high performance cars. It does not matter what your age, gender, social status or financial status might be, if you bought an EVO you qualify as a car nut. Just enjoy your car and don't worry about what anybody might think or how old the other owners appear to be. And by the way, I'm a lot older than 30 but that does not prevent me from enjoying my EVO, or sailing in the Caribbean, or skiing, or travelling to neat places, etc.

Last edited by silverEVO8; Dec 24, 2003 at 08:28 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just turned 22, I picked up my Evo 3 days after my B'day. Best B'day present I've ever given myself :P

Here here silverEvo8, I totally agree

Last edited by A418t81; Dec 24, 2003 at 08:27 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sure if you live in a larger city, there's more of a chance of seeing younger EVO owners. The average of an person who's an EVO and a home owner is going to be older. Even in this forum, the younger generation is going to frequent this place more than a parent with a couple kids running around the house. It's just a matter of misconception. The wing makes the car more juvenile in many aspects, but a more mature enthusiast will understand it.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

38 and lovin it...

I am 38 with a highly modded red evo... 430 whp so far. Do I get some strange looks in beverly hills, YES... Do I care, NO... Driving this car outweighs anything else

What really made the point was going up and driving in a Porsche

Owners Club track event with another evo at Willow Springs... 60 porsches' and a handful of other cars and us we were the 7 and 9th fastest cars out there including multiple fairly hardcore trailered race cars that cost 5 or six evo's
Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:23 AM

Last edited by MGMaronich; Apr 19, 2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:24 AM

I'm 42, and I own several porsches, a 61 impala. I've been doing track events with the porsches for over 15 years.

I bought my evo as a winter car/daily driver.

It's fun here in Auburn Hills. My office is next door to MSX technologies who make and test prototypes for DCX. Over the past few years I've seen the prototype PT crusers, turbo neons, crossfires etc running past with various sorts of cladding on to camoflage the cars.

Yesterday a guy driving one of the prototype Dodge Magnum's (4 door with a Hemi) was filling up at the local gas station that I was stopped at. He was looking at the evo and asked me how much I've spent on mods for my car. He was amazed that it was stock.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MGMaronich
I'm 48 years old and my EVO is my everyday driver (well almost - I have an out back wagon for the really trashy days). I'm married and have two kids, ages 15 (son) and 11 (daughter). When I bought the EVO this summer my other considerations were STi, S4, and M3. I bought the EVO and never looked back. The car is fantastic. My previous sporting cars were 5.0 Mustangs and Fiat x1/9 (any of you younger guys know what they were?).

Very big considerations were: 1) the straight forward simplicity of the car, 2) the fantastic performance, 3) the practicality. On the downside I have mixed emotions about the wing. I violates my sense of maintaining a low profile and, I believe, makes me more of a target for law enforcement (Imagine that - it almost makes me feel young again). When my mom saw the EVO she asked me if the "that thing" on the trunk was some sort of a luggae rack!

My wife, of course was sore at me for not buying the Beemer ("But Suzzy's husband just bought one. Why do you have to drive this car with that hideous thing on the back?!") or the Audi.

It's curious but a lot of guy my age who profess to be "into cars" don't know what the EVO is. For that matter they don't know what the STi is. One thing I have come to realize over the past few months is that the American car manufacturers have lost the American youth, and that's really a shame, because the youth is their future.

Oh well, just some random thoughts from the shallow end of the bell curve.
Nice post.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:44 AM
choad

Roth IRA
That's in the works for me too..

I also have a home, a 2003 Lexus RX300 payment , a chocolate Lab that likes to chew carpet and a 3 year old..(he doesn't chew carpet thank GOD..)

Wifey poo stays home and doesn't work..(well, actually staying home IS work, right??.. )

We (meaning the 30 + segment) ARE the EVO.. in my opinion..

If I remember correctly, isn't the bulk of EVO owners like 28-50 anyways??

"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.."
Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:47 AM
choad

"People" I know say crap about the wing, like only a kid would drive a car with a wing that big etc. Look at the 80's vintage M3, a base sedan chassis with upgraded engine, suspension, and a giant bat wing, seems familiar, heh.

My old car:

Old Dec 24, 2003, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

36 Years Old and regressing nicely!

In my 20's I drove **** box company cars then a 1990 Mazda 929 held together with wire hangers- ...I could never have afforded the EVO. When I hit 33, my income tripled and I immediately bought a WRX, modded it to 330whp and finally after 25 years of wanting a nice sports car, I lived my dream....traded it in for EVO. I will not drastically modify the EVO - Just the basics - I was down to the Z06, Cobra, STi or EVO....The EVO fits my personality best.

Most of the dirty looks come from older mullet heads - most people who try to race me also are older white guys or highschool rice boys - either way I get a good laugh!

BTW - I'm too old to give a **** if someone likes or dislikes the wing
Old Dec 24, 2003, 10:09 AM

Cool

I'm 51 and I like the EVO because it's a "pure" performance car.
I also like the wing because from the driver's seat, it looks like the fins of a '59 Caddy.

Being older has it's advantages. Was (rapidly) cruising Irvine at 2AM last night when the local constable pulled up. Saw I was a geezer and didn't pay any further attention.

Checked out the website for the local EVO club. Was shocked to see that someone let the kindergarten out. May have to purchase
a stocking cap and baggy pants.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 10:19 AM

JaMa:

Diane and I are the old dudes you spoke to at MAC Autosports this past weekend. We are both 54 years old and have been married for going on 33 years.

I have have had the wonderful relationship with a crazy women who likes fast well performing automobiles. That's why we were there to get Shiv to rub on her Stage 1+ setup.

I just got Diane out of a GMC Typhoon and into the EVO. She has had a gray market BMW 2002 turbo as well as a Mazda 323 GTX with a full boat of HKS goodies and an Acura Type-R with a full Mugan setup.

She has been to the BMW driving school at the Nurburgring. Toni Scottie's executive protection car control clinic, Tim O'Neils rally school and a host of club racing and autocrossing.

What can I say, but life is in the living. Diane and I enjoy being a bit of a point off the curve. What is driving without experiencing it.

To all the respondents on the string. Have a happy and joy filled holiday.

Keep the shinie side up,
JS
Old Dec 24, 2003, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Cool

I'm 40 and a father of two, the Evo is the best car that gives me the best of both worlds. It's a car that can hold all the diaper bags and stuff and beat a 'stang cobra on the way to the grocery. It also has all the go fast techs and goodies that others will have to pay a fortune to install in their and we have it out of the box for 30K, there is a "god" Don't worry about the big wing, it has a purpose aside from looking good, not like those ricers
Old Dec 24, 2003, 10:49 AM

Well I am 57 years old and have driven "fast" cars ever since college and professional school to include 911's, BMW's and saab turbos, but nothing I have ever driven has made me smile as much as my Evo; I have had this car since March 5 and every time I get in to drive and start her up I feel like a rally driver. Just going to the store or video store is a treat as this car is a "driver's" car from the first snick of the gearshift until I mash on the gas and take an offramp at 30 mph over posted limit and there is no body roll or chirping of tires, just a feeling of being in one of the fastest cars on the planet for the price. this car is my daily driver and I make excuses to my wife why I have to go for a drive at 10 at night just to feel this thing pull like a tractor in every gear and getting to 125 in about 14 secs I think says it all.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

I'm 34

Originally posted by MI_Evo8
He was amazed that it was stock.
People look at my stock Evo and they ask me "Did it come like that"? I tell them that it's bone stock and they have a blank look. The second most frequest question is, "So, what are you going to do to it"? Until Evo's are as common as VR6's (my last car) I have no plans to change a thing.

I have cars with multiple occupants drive next to me. Sometimes is a 30-40 something couple or a mom in a minivan with her teenagers. I can't read lips, but the body language suggests that one person tries to dis the car and the other person tells them about the Evo. The other car will pace me for a bit while they point at various items on the car. Then I see the first person nod. Then I downshift and speed toward the horizon!

I am amazed at the number of postings on this thread. Six pages and counting in just two days. Has anybody else noticed how the grammar and punctuation on this thread is far superior to other threads? I'm not talking about the btw's and the wtf's (LoL). Some of these kids with all their dough should buy a period or a comma!

Maybe we should have an "Old Guy Evo Summit" with nobody under 30 allowed.

Quick Reply: Age of Lancer Evolution Owners [MERGED]