Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: HOw Old Are You?
0-16
2.52%
17-20
21.41%
21-25
35.66%
26-29
17.13%
30-&up
23.28%
Voters: 4489. You may not vote on this poll

Age of Lancer Evolution Owners [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2003, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by evoaviator
This is the first 9 page thread that I read every post. Anyone wanna know why? Because I didn't get disgusted by school girl like bickering. While there wasn't a lot of useful information on this thread, which is the reason i come here, it was enjoyable reading. Thank you everyone. I'm pushing 27 if anyone is interested.
Agree, me too. What a relief to find EVO owners that are considerate and can spell. The tone of this thread is like something I would read on the Boxster board. The owners there are mainly 40+, and not angry at the world or trying to change it. Just enjoying life, their cars, and the camraderie a board like this can provide. Maybe buying an EVO isn't such a bad idea. Hope to meet some of you in the LA area when/if I get mine next year. Guess I will stop order on those baggy pantZ after all.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 08:50 PM

I am way past 30 as well :-)

And Evo is my daily driver, purchased after a brief fling with a mini cooper S. Fantastic car, but I did not fit into it that well.

The rear wing bothers me a bit, but my race car also has a rear wing so it also makes me feel close to the car.

In fact, I think the Evo is a modern day E30 M3.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 08:59 AM

I'm 43 years old and LOVE my Evo! I thought about getting rid of the large wing also, but then realized (with the help of my 17 year-old Son) that it was a part of the Evo and the car just isn't the same without it. I am a U.S. Marine and so I work around young people every day. My buying this car caused quite a stir at work and I have heard every comment from "mid-life crisis" to "Fast and Furious" but I don't let it bother me. Living for what other's think is a curse of the young and stupid. I have passed my RSX down to my Son and now we race either autocross or drag racing together on weekends.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by freds4
I'm 43 years old and LOVE my Evo! I thought about getting rid of the large wing also, but then realized (with the help of my 17 year-old Son) that it was a part of the Evo and the car just isn't the same without it. I am a U.S. Marine and so I work around young people every day. My buying this car caused quite a stir at work and I have heard every comment from "mid-life crisis" to "Fast and Furious" but I don't let it bother me. Living for what other's think is a curse of the young and stupid. I have passed my RSX down to my Son and now we race either autocross or drag racing together on weekends.
Yep, people need to get over stereotypes and get over "what will people think?" My wife and I both love the Evo and we both participate in road races, it truly helps solidify a relationship when loved ones share hobbies.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

I'm 19 and I bought the car for what it is: a high-performance sedan.

I'm surprised at the age of Evo owners around here, never knew it would have such a great following among the 30+ crowd.

Honestly, when I meet a 30+ Evo owner, it's a great feeling because I know there are many people who really know about this vehicle, and not just the younger people as it may seem.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:16 AM

32, going on 33 in Jan o4, female, and thanks now I feel better, on every forum I found I was one; the oldest girl; and also a female evo owner. However I love my MOMS' Taxi.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

im 31

drive my evo daily ive been builbing and racing cars for over 10 years now and the evo has alot of promise.

how many older guys like me live in socal area?
Old Dec 27, 2003, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by evolife04
im 31

drive my evo daily ive been builbing and racing cars for over 10 years now and the evo has alot of promise.

how many older guys like me live in socal area?
Gee, I wish you 30-somethings would stop saying you are old..... C'mon people, if 30 is old 58 is practically prehistoric, and that just ain't so
Old Dec 27, 2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by KVevo8
32, going on 33 in Jan o4, female, and thanks now I feel better, on every forum I found I was one; the oldest girl; and also a female evo owner. However I love my MOMS' Taxi.
When I sold the 6 because I couldn't import it into the US, I had to promise my wife I would buy her another one with baby recaro seats whenever possible

I've had people tell me it's nice of her to let me indulge in sports cars - they don't quite believe she wouldn't let me leave the showroom this february without one
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:14 PM

Arrow

well i just turned 38 yesterday...and am currently driving a 2000 Subaru Impreza RS...two doors.

my last two cars were a 91 Galant VR4 and a 92 Celica All Trac Turbo. My last girlfriend actually knew what those two cars were all about...she was an ex rally co driver.

I talked my way into a very thorough test drive of a white Evo8 here in seattle recently, mostly by mentioning i worked at microsoft. I came away more impressed than with the silver Sti i drove a month ago.

My concern with mitsu is reliability..i put a ton of $ into my GVR4. What i like about the Evo8 is the raw-ness of it and the power and handling. Id like to see prices come downa bit more before i bite though....seeing the Evo's trade in for 23k or so is pretty sad....

Mike
Attached Images  
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by KVevo8
I think thats cool as hell! ****, I'm 33 and don't act a day over 18. Yer only as old as you feel. And when I'm in my 60's I will still be driving fast cars, and hittin' on fast women, regardless of age.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 06:35 AM

I am 26 and I own a Blue-by-you Evo.

I honestly feel that I am TOO OLD for this car.

Too many younger girls are checking on me when I am driving this car; my girlfriend would be totally unhappy if she knew this .

PS: I thought of getting the standard GT wing before. However, I decided that the I gotta love the car the way it was designed and made (not mentioning the functionality). That wing works!. I don't know about the 157 mph top speed, but I can assure you that I somehow KNOW that the car can do 145 mph .
Old Dec 28, 2003, 07:59 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

So, if I can summarize: most people like the performance, but a few are worried about "what would the neighbors think?". Is that about it?

Before you "de-wing" your EVO, ask yourself why you don't get rid of the "racy looking" 45 series tires while you're at it. Lose the flashy red calipers, go with 15 inch rims and big 60 series tires, flatten out the fender flares, quiet down the turbo by bleeding off the boost ... or just go buy a Saturn.

This is a performance car. Unless you never get above 45 MPH, that wing is functional -- the car needs it to keep the back end planted solidly. Go read the test reports.

What would the neighbors think? Well, they might think that you are someone who remembers that "drive" is a verb -- active tense.

I once had a co-worker ask me why I didn't just "buy a Civic, like everyone else". Actually, he was the one that kept buying a string of Civics.

Don't let people make you think you have to copy them, just to make them feel better about their own decisions.

If you have to be that worried about the opinions of your neighbors, that may be a good neighborhood to move out of. Tell them that when we said, "get a life", we meant "one of your own", rather than meddling with ours.

I'm 47, but I've been driving performance cars since the '55 Chevy dragster I ran before I was old enough for a street license. I've gotten used to cars that respond to the controls, and I'm not about to give them up now, simply because I'm living among people who prefer to hide out in a pack of grid-locked SUVs.

As for me, I bought the car for its performance. I don't need the back seat, and I don't need back seat drivers.

I especially don't need back seat drivers who aren't even in the car.

So if some of you guys would rather hide away in a cammo-mobile, that's your choice. But you don't need to whine about it to the rest of us.

(Okay, rant over. We now return you to your regularly scheduled chat site.)
Old Dec 28, 2003, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I definitely have to agree with you.. But most people I deal with already know my obscession about cars since I've had lots of rear drive american muscle. Nobody has ever really given me a hard time about the age and speed thing.. The wing was the only thing I got teased about a little, like I said before, that was until they'd been for a ride. Truth is I never cared what anyone thought about anythhing I do in life. Those people are the ones who have given up their dreams to live a life that they think they want.. Their the same ones who drive SUV's, are generally miserable, and get divorced.. Ok.. enough generalizations.. ROFL I'm also from the northeast, and I have a HUGE amount of contempt for SUV's and Minivans, generally the careless drivers, distracted drivers, or just bad drivers in them.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 09:21 AM

yeah like malibujack says....i am basically living the life and dreams of many of my friends my age (38) with kids/minivans/suv's/etc. A lot of people will try to steal your dream and get you back down to their level of misery so they can feel better about themselves.

ok enough generalizations

mike

Quick Reply: Age of Lancer Evolution Owners [MERGED]