Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Question ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2002, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ?

Hey people,
I was just wonderin if doing a port an polish on a lancer would b good or even worth it i found this link on it I kno it wouldn't prolly much in hp gain but with Cold Air, Throttle Body, and a Cat Back Exhaust,what do you think? Also if this wouldbenice what about the specs to go and do so limitations n such? I'm thinking some other people may b interested in this as well..I dunno my curiousity is gettin to lol i wanna make the car faster, and get my hands dirty!! hehe

[URL=http://www.nettally.com/silly34/portpolish.htm]PortPolish
Old Jul 17, 2002, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

grr link.

Port Polish
Old Jul 17, 2002, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Apparently the Lancer doesn't like a port n' polish.

From a previous RMR post

We have not tried to swap, but we did try to hone out the intake manifold and the throttle body and we lost our *** on power. The car just can't take that much air. We tried everything to make the intake manifold work (even an AFR), but nothing worked. We did port and machine the head a bit and strengthened the rods to hold the higher compression. That worked quite well. Our car moves pretty well. We are working on an ECU right now (the ECU will have boost parameters for turbos!)Anyway, Thats all for now.
You'll have more work involved than a standard grind n' sand than most other cars...
Old Jul 17, 2002, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

They honed the intake...lost our *** on power
They ported the heads... That worked quite well

Can I just not read or is it just paul that can't
Old Jul 17, 2002, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

umm

hmm, well this is good to know isthere a dif inhoningn porting? keep in mind i am anewbie here anas far as portinthe head i don't thinki'd go that far i was basiclly thinking of the intake manifold... Also though i was reading earlier n came across someone saying they tightend their Throttle cable, i dunno if it would do much on a stock TB but would it b benifical on the RRM Bored TB ? and is it relitively easy to do ? an heckif it would b slightly better on a stock 1 letmekno hehe i'll do it now
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:04 AM

hey bumps, u see that long key at the bottom of your keyboard? That is called a space bar.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

HAHA

sorry guys this spacebar on this keyboard is ghetto n it doesn't always work lol Ooh well it made some funny words hehe
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:13 AM

its cool, just jokin
Old Jul 19, 2002, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

well

Hmm still no answer,anyone else curious about tighting the throttle cable? can someone tell me the benifits,on a stock TB and on the RRM TB....
Old Jul 19, 2002, 11:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I was gonna type up a thing on the throttle cable trick...but then a curious thing happened.

It fixed itself. My idle is sometimes dangerously LOW now. I really just need to reset the ECU with the line back to norma. It turned out not to be a good, long term mod. The ECU is very smart. It will fix itself. Gains were nonexistent anyway (really just a faster idle for the most part) so I never bothered. Kinda sucks too cuz I had it half typed out and even god pics of a clean engine bay from someone.
Old Jul 19, 2002, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

damn

damn bro that sucks i sorry,hmm yea i was just curious kinda get erges to do lil stupid mods under the hood ya kno, I think I'm goin to tryn re make my CAI later today this time in PVC right from the TB.. Also i want to add that Oil Breather ( i think thats what it's called ) the lil tiny filter hehe... Anyway I spoke to Buschurr yesterday they claimed the cat back would run 375 then another 20 to ship out to Jerz, iwas kinda shocked since i heard 370 shipped but none the less should b ordering in 3 weeks to a month i wanna get the cat back shortshifter n TB at the same time bang it all out in 1 shot possibly even new spark plug wires n plugs. If I re do the CAI today I'll post some pics for you guys I was attempting to sleep but once again I was unable to sleep lol any ideas on what paint I can use on the PVC (yellow lancer BTW) and if anyone knows of any lil easy mods I can do while I'm under the hood let me know I'll try them out...
Old Jul 19, 2002, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Ooh

hey hobie whats your idle i think mine is now sittin just right below 1.. the fabricated CAI I havenow does sound pretty nice I jus tthink re doing in PVC and runnin right from the TB would prove to b a lil more beifical then the setup I'm runnin now..