Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Buying an Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck and I will have to agree with Mistaken it is a money pit.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 04:28 PM

I have helped my friends build their EVO's and it is quite pains-taken. So unless you plan on eating ramen for a few months then get a new car LOL.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck in your search and selling your Eclipse. I have an 08 Spyder that I bought brand new. Those cars plummet in value. Almost not worth selling anymore.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 04:50 PM

Cosmo motorsports in hickory where I bought my evo 8 mr
Old Jun 8, 2012, 05:01 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Old Jun 8, 2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by evoforstevo
Couple pieces of advice for yah:

Make sure 60k mile service has been done(Timing belt & tensioner, water pump, etc)
Make sure you know every mod on the car and get it in writing whether there are mods or not.
Don't impulse buy, people say mr se are rare, that doesn't mean you should hurry the necessary and appropriate steps!

Last but not least:
Take care of it
Best of luck finding what you're looking for!
I'm aware of the 60k thing and its part of my regular questioning. I'm fighting the impulse buy and trying to take my time, and I love cars so taking care of it is no sweat. I have a binder on my current eclipse with every invoice from everything ever done. Thanks for the pointers

Originally Posted by Mistaken
Good luck with your search. Get what you want and dont settle. Youll regret it later.
I settled with my current car and got stuck in an automatic :/ lamesauce

Originally Posted by Jp7
I have a Grey MR IX, 2006 for sale. I have been the only owner. I bought the car brand new in 2007 (showroom car) and it now has 18,800 miles. I drove this 500 miles last year. It has never seen rain or snow.
Where are you located?
PM me. Mod list/ service records etc etc

Originally Posted by Kendogg
Good luck in your search and selling your Eclipse. I have an 08 Spyder that I bought brand new. Those cars plummet in value. Almost not worth selling anymore.
I know. Partially why I'm trying to get out now before it's worthless. I'm hoping that since I've got such good records on it and its in such good shape I might actually get a little money for it. If only The Fast and the Furious 18 would come out starring a bunch of Eclipses

Originally Posted by Dmav1989
Cosmo motorsports in hickory where I bought my evo 8 mr
Where you located? I've been browsing their lot since I was 16 haha
Old Jun 8, 2012, 06:16 PM

JP thanks but your car is a little too modded for my tastes. Been browsing your threads.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr_DSM
I know. Partially why I'm trying to get out now before it's worthless. I'm hoping that since I've got such good records on it and its in such good shape I might actually get a little money for it. If only The Fast and the Furious 18 would come out starring a bunch of Eclipses
How much do you owe on it? How many miles? Loaded?

I bought mine brand new in 08. A fully loaded Spyder. I paid almost $30k for it. The dealerships sale it now for $15k. They offered me $12k for trade in. I got screwed and got hit with a 9% interest rate also. So I paid almost $40k for that dang eclipse. Its paid off now. But it will just continue to drop in value (like all Mitsu cars besides Evo's). Its no longer worth selling IMO.

Have you thought about trading in your eclipse and taking on some negative equity instead of dealing with private party sale of your eclipse?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 03:54 AM

Not an evo owner yet but currently lurking to get more info on a car i have always wanted!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 07:03 AM

The one thing I have to add is maintenance. Coming from the Honda world where skipping oil changes and never changing trans fluid results in no harm, that is not the case with these cars. I bought my evo with a whine last week for a steal. Driving to my buddies work to throw it on a lift I got a nasty vibration and eventually towed it home where I drained the t-case and found the thickest metallic paste you could imagine. Luckily shep is a 30 minute drive from my house and I have a 2nd car (make sure you have another car). I believe Mitsu recommends changing t-case fluid every 15k and I think what happened on my car (67k) is that each owner assumed the previous owner maintained it. Point being if and when you pick one of these up, no matter what the seller said was done, spend the $200 and do an oil change, rear diff, t-case and trans as well as coolant changes as well as the plugs. Best of luck, and beautiful car jp!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 07:05 AM

Oh and one more thing, if you're buying an 03 check the hot/cold hvac knob. Here is my first week in my evo:

If this isn't motivation to change your fluids I don't know what is:

Last edited by DStepec; Jun 9, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kendogg
How much do you owe on it? How many miles? Loaded?

I bought mine brand new in 08. A fully loaded Spyder. I paid almost $30k for it. The dealerships sale it now for $15k. They offered me $12k for trade in. I got screwed and got hit with a 9% interest rate also. So I paid almost $40k for that dang eclipse. Its paid off now. But it will just continue to drop in value (like all Mitsu cars besides Evo's). Its no longer worth selling IMO.

Have you thought about trading in your eclipse and taking on some negative equity instead of dealing with private party sale of your eclipse?
It's paid for. Loaded (except the aero kit) with 53k miles. Cosmo motors (mentioned a little earlier) only offered me 13k for my car. I can't bring myself to pick up that much debt from going from my car to an Evo, esp with what all is required to own one.

Originally Posted by codyntheguy
Not an evo owner yet but currently lurking to get more info on a car i have always wanted!
You sound like me. My name is Cody too lol

Originally Posted by DStepec
The one thing I have to add is maintenance. Coming from the Honda world where skipping oil changes and never changing trans fluid results in no harm, that is not the case with these cars. I bought my evo with a whine last week for a steal. Driving to my buddies work to throw it on a lift I got a nasty vibration and eventually towed it home where I drained the t-case and found the thickest metallic paste you could imagine. Luckily shep is a 30 minute drive from my house and I have a 2nd car (make sure you have another car). I believe Mitsu recommends changing t-case fluid every 15k and I think what happened on my car (67k) is that each owner assumed the previous owner maintained it. Point being if and when you pick one of these up, no matter what the seller said was done, spend the $200 and do an oil change, rear diff, t-case and trans as well as coolant changes as well as the plugs. Best of luck, and beautiful car jp!
Making me nervous haha. But the one I'm (still) looking at in Florida needs the 60k service so I'd have EVERYTHING done including plugs belts fluids etc etc.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 02:46 PM

Also:

The current owner says the clutch slips under boost but is fine under normal driving. Never driven a car with a slipping clutch so does this sound normal? I know clutches are a common issue with these cars and that's a quick $1k.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 08:30 PM

1k? Are you a DIYer? If so it should be just under half of that. Torque is significantly less out of boost. Clutches are rated in torque capacity. With that being said that car is exhibiting a normal end of life for that clutch. I wouldn't recommend these cars to someone who doesn't have basic diagnosing skills for a turbo car. How does the DSM saying go? "making ordinary people mechanics since 1989"?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 08:31 PM

And don't be nervous. It sounds like you need to find a COMPLETELY untouched car... If you snag an 03 like i said before, check the hot/cold knob and if you buy it put a cabin air filter in ASAP

Quick Reply: Buying an Evo