Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

first mod

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2002, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first mod

What's up y'all, i just got my new oz lancer like two days ago, yellow with special oz black and yello leather! I am wondering if i would feel/hear any difference if i decided to go with the rrm high flow cat pipe as my first mod or if i will only notice it when i do the exhaust and the intake later?
Old Jul 18, 2002, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

i dunno man....the cat is pretty restrictive but you have nothing else freeing up the flow. I'd say either go with an intake first....then do the exhaust section....header/midpipe/test pipe/muffler. that's just what i would do. i have the injen intake and custom exhaust. stock cat and stock headers. when i buy headers im just going to replace the rest of the stock exhaust system.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 08:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine upgrade path for the Lancer!!
1.Intake
2. Exhaust
3. Test pipe
4. Throttle Body

ROAD/RACE

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Old Jul 18, 2002, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

yeah ROB!!!! can't wait for the test pipe to come, too bad it won't be here in time for my trip into the mountains tomorrow. Thanks anyways
Old Jul 18, 2002, 10:02 AM

thanks guys, i was just wondering, cause it's the cheapest so i could doit now
Old Jul 18, 2002, 10:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Pimpson
yeah ROB!!!! can't wait for the test pipe to come, too bad it won't be here in time for my trip into the mountains tomorrow. Thanks anyways
Keep the mountains green, not black with smog.

What am I turning into a hippie or something?

I know it's a lotta money to dump at once and tb isn't totally necessary, but it's kidna good idea to get the tb and intake at the same time if you're lazy (like me) so you only have to do the install once. If you're not lazy, the tb can wait indefinitely.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 12:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by HobieKopek

...but it's kidna good idea to get the tb and intake at the same time if you're lazy (like me) so you only have to do the install once. If you're not lazy, the tb can wait indefinitely.
and wouldn't you have to port the tb to the intake manifold?
Old Jul 18, 2002, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by rhyzin

and wouldn't you have to port the tb to the intake manifold?
Porting the TB itself will do you little good since you can only open the aperture before you have to build a new unit. As for the manifold, apparently the Lancer doesn't like it since it doesn't know what the hell to do with it all until proper head and block work is done ($), at least according to RMR.

We have not tried to swap, but we did try to hone out the intake manifold and the throttle body and we lost our *** on power. The car just can't take that much air. We tried everything to make the intake manifold work (even an AFR), but nothing worked. We did port and machine the head a bit and strengthened the rods to hold the higher compression. That worked quite well. Our car moves pretty well. We are working on an ECU right now (the ECU will have boost parameters for turbos!)Anyway, Thats all for now.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 01:13 PM
EvoM Guru

oh okay. i was kinda hesitant to get the tb cuz it seemed it would be useless without porting the manifold. hmmm, maybe i'll get one now.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Disagree with RMR on that. Guys with T.B. all say they noticed improved performance. Manifold has long runners for more bottom end power. The intake ports are big and clean for(relative) stock stuff.

ROAD/RACE

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Old Jul 24, 2002, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek

Keep the mountains green, not black with smog.

What am I turning into a hippie or something?

I
interestingly enough, the big elk fire (bout 15 miles from my p's house) was caused by a failed cat converter from an offroading cj7 last week. thank god it rained tuesday, and it ended quickly. a plane crashed starting another fire and killing two aboard trying to put it out. weird stuff.

I'm not gonna shoot flames out of the sohc lancer am I? any risk of somethin like that I should know about?
Old Jul 25, 2002, 10:43 AM

silverr6, you cant run fast if you cant breathe. the factory intake box is pretty restrictive and it sits right next to the hot engine. you want to take that air from outside the engine bay. firsth thing you want is a cold air intake. preferably ceramic cos its better insulated than steel. figure that if every 10degrees colder the air is you get about 1whp. and by taking the air from the road you will have colder air, and more of it. this is fairly inexpensive. you can find no-name ones for around 150-200, but i would say go with someone you know you can trust, AEM or injen. they are the best.

now that you are done with breathing in, you gotta breathe out, expand your exhaust pipes...not too much, you're only running a hundred hp engine. go with something that will flow nice like 2-2 1/4" piping, and get a free flowing exhaust. there are many with different sounds and different tips...the smaller the tip the smaller the sound (usually). dont go with the test pipe, just go with a cat-back system. also part of the exhaust is your header, a little more expensive, but easy as hell...anyone can replace a header...

once your done with the easy stuff go onto something expensive...wait till the warrantee is up though for anything major...*cough* turbo *cough*