Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is 233 miles too many for a new Evo X MR?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is 233 miles too many for a new Evo X MR?

Hi guys. I'm Ross. I'm from Michigan and I'm new to the forum.

I've been wanting octane blue MR for a while now. I figured I would order one but I hear there they've discontinued that color. I found one on the internet that matches everything I want at a dealer a couple states away. It looked perfect until I found out the car has 233 miles on it. That sounds like a lot of miles to me for a new car - particularly on a performance vehicle like the Evo that people are going to beat on during test drives. So I looked at photos again and you can see the brake rotors are covered in brake dust which makes me think people we extra hard on this car.

http://cdn.getauto.com/photos/4/1673...U014445-6c.jpg

So what do you guys think? Do you think the transmission and the engine are OK even though they've probably been thrashed for 233 miles during the break-in period? Or should I avoid this car and settle for one in another color?

I would appreciate any advice
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Like you said I imagine those 233 miles were rough ones. Having those miles might be a good barging tool for them to cut you a deal. Any reason you want a MR?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do get a warranty you know. Also you can use that mileage to your advantage and see what kind of deal you can cut.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

I would never pay new car price for a car with more than maybe 20-50 miles on it, and I would have to absolutely be in love with no chance of finding another one anywhere. The only new car I have ever bought had 4 miles on it.

With that many miles someone could have bought it, driven off the lot and then brought it back, unwound the paperwork so it was never titled (it happens).....remember how the dealer LOOOOOVVVEEESSS to tell you that your trade in lost SOOOOO much value when it drove off the lot new......well guess what.....

They know what the deal is with that mileage, either get a good deal or let someone else overpay. Color is not THAT important and if it is go find one with 4k miles pay a crap load less money and STILL have the warranty. Just my .02
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:34 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A "new" Evo with 200+ miles on its clock? No thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Would you buy a "new pair"of sneakers only used twice on the Basketball court?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.

If it was just normal wear and tear I could easily live with the miles for a better price. The more I think about it though the worse it seems. The dealership wants about $1300 less than the invoice price for the car. But if I had a brand new Evo with no miles on it, I wouldn't lend the car out to 10-20 people to drive hard for 233 miles. Not unless I got a lot more money than that.

I found a dealership in New York that has an Octane Blue MR Touring I'm looking for and with less than 10 miles on it. If I can get them to come down from the msrp, I think I would be a lot happier with that car. (Although if anyone knows of a dealership with a new Octane Blue MR Touring, please let me know.)

To answer your question Kidloco, I just really like what Mitsubishi did with the twin clutch on the Evo. Personally I think it's a lot of fun. The paddle shifters and the awd gives it a completely different feel to drive than my mustang.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

$1300 off for that mileage is not a good deal. Mine had 12 miles on it and I got $1500 off on a 2012.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:10 PM

I'd say since your hell bent on buying a new car, find one that is actually a new car.
Also, buy what you want. Color and options do matter. This isn't a civic we are talking about, it's a Evo. Don't let other people sway you from what you know you want.

GL!!!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:49 PM

go for the newer one!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hawaiianstyle
I'd say since your hell bent on buying a new car, find one that is actually a new car.
Also, buy what you want. Color and options do matter. This isn't a civic we are talking about, it's a Evo. Don't let other people sway you from what you know you want.

GL!!!

Random civic hate. Youre cool bro.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gyroscope
Random civic hate. Youre cool bro.
Haha no hate, civics have a place, in fuel economy and ricer heaven
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:43 PM

I would stay away from it unless they give you a very good deal. I know from experience that dealer cars get beat on a lot, and its not so much from test drives - Its lot attendants and salesman taking them on joy rides or using them for food runs or other errands, and they beat the s*** out of them far worse than any customer on a test drive.

I used to drive dealer cars back and forth from their lots to their big tent sales. They will take any random person off the street with a drivers license and give them a set of keys to any car on the lot to drive down. Me and my buddies would fight over keys to the nicer, faster cars (Corvettes, Camaros, WS6 T/A's, etc...) and we would beat the crap out of them driving them to and from lots.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hawaiianstyle
Haha no hate, civics have a place, in fuel economy and ricer heaven
LMAO