Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

got a evo, basic questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you sir! I will more that likely switch to Mobil 1 oil and filter as that's what i used in my neon and loved it. Will switching weight hurt anything ? The car has 106k and Idk how long have been on that ams oil 10-40And use oem trans diff and t case fluid. I wanted to make sure because for the srts oem trans fluid was actually bad for them. We needed to use 0w-40.

Thanks it is pretty jdm'd out Haha. Has the tails headlights side markers and rear bumper i love it!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:47 PM

congrats, the headlights don't look like jdm. but i could be wrong. love the jdm bumper and tails on WW
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmosser
Thank you sir! I will more that likely switch to Mobil 1 oil and filter as that's what i used in my neon and loved it. Will switching weight hurt anything ? The car has 106k and Idk how long have been on that ams oil 10-40And use oem trans diff and t case fluid. I wanted to make sure because for the srts oem trans fluid was actually bad for them. We needed to use 0w-40.

Thanks it is pretty jdm'd out Haha. Has the tails headlights side markers and rear bumper i love it!
Stick with OEM trans, diff and tcase fluids, they have been proven to work best by many other users here and over the course of these cars being introduced in 2003. When you get it done I would buy the fluids directly from Mitsubishi to make sure they order the correct fluid and weight for each as well. They have their own OEM brand DiaQueen they use so just stick with that.

Switching to 10w30 shouldn't hurt anything, it's what most guys use unless they are running FP Turbos, which require Amsoil or something similar or it voids their warranty lol.

Looks like your headlights are USDM, as the amber is not on the bottom of the lights. Still you got a nice set up going on sir congrats!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Sweet, what fluid goes in the trans? I know diaqueen in the t case and diff. Does diaqueen also go in the transmission?

My friend has a 8 with jdm tails mine are like a black chrome both headlights and tails and his are more of a plain black. So Im assuming my has stock 9 headlights and twilight
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

I would recommend Redline MT-90 for the trans. Diaqueen for the tcase and rear diff. Measure the fluids before you fill to make sure nothing is under filled. Don't freak out when you see metal shavings on the trans drain plug it's normal...to an extent.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by flymx771
I would recommend Redline MT-90 for the trans. Diaqueen for the tcase and rear diff. Measure the fluids before you fill to make sure nothing is under filled. Don't freak out when you see metal shavings on the trans drain plug it's normal...to an extent.
Okay thanks for the heads up.. What do you think of ams oil 75-90 for the trans?

I am also suspecting the rear diff needs bushings, I finally floored the car today, when shifted from 2nd to 3rd i heard a big loud clunk from the rear of the car. I asekd a couple friends they both said it was the bushings so Im hoping thats what it needs, also searched and seen its common for the bushings to go bad after a while.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Oem diff bushings are weak.
So your car shuts off when decelerating in gear and you push the clutch in? Or while you're in gear?
While you're in gear, your injectors shut off, until 1200 rpm, I believe
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really nice car man!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

When i push in the clutch it turns off, thanks for the compliments on the car. Was sure a upgrade from the srt 4 imho i love this thing and can't say that enough!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats wrong with having a occasionally autoX car and using it for a dd ? Or are you implying evos aren't reliable...

I've only had mine for three years, and a seven before that for four years.

Autocross at least 6 events every year. Still on the stock clutch on the 8!!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Are there any other weak or common parts on these that i should look at or replace with stronger parts ?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flymx771
Let's see if you still stand by that statement in a couple weeks...the mod bug is hard to resist.

Enjoy the new car
Whats wrong with having a occasionally autoX car and using it for a dd ? Or are you implying evos aren't reliable...
first and foremost, clean evo.

second, he's just saying "good luck" to your short list of potential mods, because as most of us know, once you modify a car, even in the smallest way, you're opening up the pandora's box of mod addictions.

i told myself my r6 would stay stock(ish) too....
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks man.

Just changed the oil and filter the kn 1010 filter was a tottaly different size than stock that is correct right? Switched to ams oil 10-30 for the motor and ams oil manual transaxle 75-90 for the tranny. Will be doing diff and t case flush this weekend!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks man.

Just changed the oil and filter the kn 1010 filter was a tottaly different size than stock that is correct right? Switched to ams oil 10-30 for the motor and ams oil manual transaxle 75-90 for the tranny. Will be doing diff and t case flush this weekend!
Hmm, I wish I saw your post earlier, I would have went with DiaQueen GL-4 for the transmission, I don't trust the amsoil stuff for the transmission on our cars.

http://www.eurosportdesign.com/p-291...oil-03-06.aspx

Also for your transfer case and rear diff, I suggest OEM as well.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...s/diaqueen.htm

Good luck man!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Okay well my buddie has a 8 and has only used that. So i trust him plus i start work tomorrow and have to drive about half a hour. I wanted fresh fluids. I will be using diaqueen in the diff and t case though.

Quick Reply: got a evo, basic questions